Il Commandante

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Dear all,

I just did this and thought it might interest others using the Rugged Ridge HD rear bumper.

Wanted rear facing work lights without them being too flashy. Also, with the huge german license plate, space on the rear end is limited.

These are cheap Hella worklights, mounted into the openings for high lift jacking. Since I don‘t have a high lift, the place was perfect for me.

I wired them to the Aux 2 outlet under the hood and ran the cable on top of the right hand side frame rail.

Really bright when backing up, the camera picture is like in day light.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear LED worklights for RR HD Bumper 14BA1FEA-F177-4A06-BCBA-F81B63E70C52
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear LED worklights for RR HD Bumper 3DC2B5ED-53B6-4400-9679-A7AEAC78A8B7
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear LED worklights for RR HD Bumper 845A02FF-A818-40D2-B8BF-2C75ACB52273
Sponsored

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I recently ordered this bumper and was curious about adding more reverse lights. Saw this and think it's a pretty cool idea. How did you mount the lights inside the bumper?

OP
OP
Il Commandante

Il Commandante

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Hello Billy,
I simply drilled a hole below the opening and bolted them on. The lights I used are cheap Hella LEDs, picked for their size, and for their attachment bracket. I hope you can see it in the picture, they are a bit muddy due to the species-appropriate keeping of my Jeep...
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear LED worklights for RR HD Bumper 4106F1ED-A6DB-47A9-84E2-CA8584C818B8
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear LED worklights for RR HD Bumper 64F8F258-A274-4293-9B14-A1E3354FA1B2

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Hello Billy,
I simply drilled a hole below the opening and bolted them on. The lights I used are cheap Hella LEDs, picked for their size, and for their attachment bracket. I hope you can see it in the picture, they are a bit muddy due to the species-appropriate keeping of my Jeep...
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear LED worklights for RR HD Bumper 64F8F258-A274-4293-9B14-A1E3354FA1B2
Oh I see, something like this, and you drilled a hole to use it's mounting bracket: https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-357106002-ValueFit-Square-Worklight/dp/B01D47ZPBY/

A couple months ago I bought these Oracle reverse lights: https://www.oraclelights.com/products/rear-bumper-led-reverse-lights. They're meant to replace the reflectors so I was initially planning on putting them in my plastic bumper, but it got cold and it didn't get around to it...I guess that worked out in the end.

Initially I was gonna sell them, but after seeing your post, I'm thinking there's probably a way they can work in the Hi-Lift spot too. Not sure how to attach them yet though...if they're a little bigger than the hi-lift opening, just strong 3m on the inside of the bumper?

OP
OP
Il Commandante

Il Commandante

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
I don't think 3M will do. The first time a pressure washer hits them, they'll be gone.

Sponsored

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
So I did the install of the Rugged Ridge HD Rear bumper and the Oracle lights over the past couple of days. This is how it ended up looking:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear LED worklights for RR HD Bumper IMG_3569

They almost fit perfectly, but if you get really close you'll see a little edge where they don't quite fill it out. Agree on them being pretty bright! Sorry hard to do the photo at night:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear LED worklights for RR HD Bumper IMG_3574

From the camera:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear LED worklights for RR HD Bumper IMG_3568

Detailed in another thread but I bought the plug and play wiring harness and had to adjust it for it work correctly. Happy not to have to splice though, and they automatically come on every time I go into reverse.

Overall I like the idea of this way more than having dedicated high lift points I'll rarely if ever use.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Looks good, how did you finally attach them?
Pondered it for a while and decided I didn't want to drill for the time being. I first did 3M to the top of the high lift "shelf" inside the bumper. That got them to hang in place pretty well, but you could still push on them from the outside. Afterward I applied some weather resistant duct tape. It was pretty firm in there for now...I'll monitor for a while
Sponsored