First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU white Sport S
Occupation
RN
Well I made it 8000 miles without any issues but today noticed some oil leaking from the rear end of the vehicle on the passenger side. Had my husband crawl under there and he said it’s all over the back passenger side wheel. I am assuming it is differential fluid? Would it be anything else?
Sponsored

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Do you have a lift and larger tires?

OP
OP
RNJeeper

RNJeeper

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN
Do you have a lift and larger tires?
Yes the rear axle by the wheel. No lift just the stock all terrain tires. Haven’t really taken it off roading yet just on the beach (which is so packed down it really isn’t off roading lol). Just moved from Florida to California though so drove it across the country.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
How much fluid? A lot? Could be outer axle seal . Put some of the fluid on your finger and smell it. if it smells really bad its gear oil and its your seal. Gear oil smells way worse than other lubricans because of all the sulfur they put in it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RNJeeper

RNJeeper

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN
How much fluid? A lot? Could be outer axle seal . Put some of the fluid on your finger and smell it. if it smells really bad its gear oil and its your seal. Gear oil smells way worse than other lubricans because of all the sulfur they put in it.
There was a good amount all over the wheel my husband said but I’ve only seen a small amount on the garage floor (quarter sized). He said it didn’t smell like sulphur. I made an appointment with Jeep for Monday morning. It doesn’t seem like brake fluid so it must be the axle.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Yes the rear axle by the wheel. No lift just the stock all terrain tires. Haven’t really taken it off roading yet just on the beach (which is so packed down it really isn’t off roading lol). Just moved from Florida to California though so drove it across the country.
Where in Cali are you ? Makes a difference for service .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I am in southern San Diego
Powells in Escondido is military friendly , but is a little far for you . Might look at yelp reviews for the ones closest to you .

Personally , my choice would be to go to a top-rated independent Jeep mechanic first , to find out the true problem ;

before going to a dealership , to see what the dealership says under warranty .

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
If there’s a chance it’s brake fluid, may want to check the brake fluid level under the hood before driving.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Well I made it 8000 miles without any issues but today noticed some oil leaking from the rear end of the vehicle on the passenger side. Had my husband crawl under there and he said it’s all over the back passenger side wheel. I am assuming it is differential fluid? Would it be anything else?
Leaking shock?

OP
OP
RNJeeper

RNJeeper

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN
Very interesting! It’s at the dealership now. Not too sure yet what it is. They were checking my creaky back window today. Goes to the other department tomorrow. A wouldn’t be surprised if it was shock because I’ve been telling my husband that it feels different now I can feel every bump. A few weeks ago it felt normal.

OP
OP
RNJeeper

RNJeeper

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN
I did check the brake fluid and that didn’t seem like it was low so that was good plus the brake pedal never felt anything different. Though braking had become a little more difficult, I was thinking probably due to whatever is leaking getting all over the brake pad and disk back there.
Sponsored