Rear headrest removal

Ttaylor

First Name
Terez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2020 Sahara
My 7 year old falls asleep and his head falls at the most uncomfortable angles because of that headrest.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I would consider a different car seat if it was me. So far, I haven't had any issues...
20200220_192423.jpg
20200220_192502.jpg
Wait until you have to extend the head rest as the kids get taller. Its annoying having these headrests push the car seat out away from the seat back...especially with the recline kit. I've tried 3 different car seats with our 3 kids.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Looks a bit odd with these 4 posts sticking up, you can see before and after headrest cushion removal.

To remove the cushion you just need to undo the cover at the bottom of the head rest, then there are 2 spring clips holding the cushion in place, remove those and you just pull off thie cushions, no damage. Pics attached if everything, sorry it's not organized I'm rushing in between things at work.
[/ATTACH]
I tried for a minute to get the two spring clips off with no luck. Any trick to it?

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Wait until you have to extend the head rest as the kids get taller. Its annoying having these headrests push the car seat out away from the seat back...especially with the recline kit. I've tried 3 different car seats with our 3 kids.
The booster headrest is already pretty much all the way up, the other obviously isn't. But the regular blue car seat was used with our oldest without issue. I'd say that the headrest isn't ideal, but it's workable. I don't know why Jeep didn't just make them removable though.

BarrettBM27

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 2 door
I have a 2020 JL Sport that we folded the rear seat down and now one of the head rear will not stay up. I browsed the Internet on how to remove without much luck, then I saw this forum and saw there were a lot of other people with the same question. So I joined to tell how I did it.
1) remove the head rest padding by pulling straight up, may have to pull hard but they do slide off.
2)fold the head rest rods down,
3)unzip the fabric on the back of the seat and then unclip the bottom. Not sure what they call this piece.
4)once you have the rear cover completely loose fold it over the seat, out of the way.
5)use a ratchet with a short 7mm, you can see the bracket and the bolts come in from the front. I just pushed in the back of the seat until I could get my hand in there and remove the 2 bolts.
6)once you have the bolts out, push up on the assembly about a half inch, then push forward. Then you can pull down from the seat. May have to pull the rod back to the vertical position to get them out.
7)once out it will still have the release cable attached. Follow the cable and it will go into bottom of another bracket/retainer with the head rest cable coming in the bottom and 2 cables coming into the top of it. Again push on the seat and remove the screw that holds the bracket/retainer. It uses a Phillips screwdriver. Push up and pull out enough to remove cover. using a small flat screwdriver pry on the tabs, there are 3 on each side. Be careful when taking this cover off. There are three cables going in and are on a cheap little plastic block. Remove cable from bracket that is still connected to headrest assembly. Reinstall cover on the bracket and screw back into place.

Repeat for other side. You will now have the head rest out clean and could reinstall someday if you wanted to.
This entire task took me 45 min start to finish and the hardest part was getting the seat cover clip back together. I found starting at one side and working my way across the easiest.

C53A8283-80F3-400F-AC5E-9B6D50CB6E70.jpeg

HempelNet

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR (Crystal Granite)
Occupation
Sr. Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 JL Sport that we folded the rear seat down and now one of the head rear will not stay up. I browsed the Internet on how to remove without much luck, then I saw this forum and saw there were a lot of other people with the same question. So I joined to tell how I did it.
1) remove the head rest padding by pulling straight up, may have to pull hard but they do slide off.
2)fold the head rest rods down,
3)unzip the fabric on the back of the seat and then unclip the bottom. Not sure what they call this piece.
4)once you have the rear cover completely loose fold it over the seat, out of the way.
5)use a ratchet with a short 7mm, you can see the bracket and the bolts come in from the front. I just pushed in the back of the seat until I could get my hand in there and remove the 2 bolts.
6)once you have the bolts out, push up on the assembly about a half inch, then push forward. Then you can pull down from the seat. May have to pull the rod back to the vertical position to get them out.
7)once out it will still have the release cable attached. Follow the cable and it will go into bottom of another bracket/retainer with the head rest cable coming in the bottom and 2 cables coming into the top of it. Again push on the seat and remove the screw that holds the bracket/retainer. It uses a Phillips screwdriver. Push up and pull out enough to remove cover. using a small flat screwdriver pry on the tabs, there are 3 on each side. Be careful when taking this cover off. There are three cables going in and are on a cheap little plastic block. Remove cable from bracket that is still connected to headrest assembly. Reinstall cover on the bracket and screw back into place.

Repeat for other side. You will now have the head rest out clean and could reinstall someday if you wanted to.
This entire task took me 45 min start to finish and the hardest part was getting the seat cover clip back together. I found starting at one side and working my way across the easiest.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear headrest removal C53A8283-80F3-400F-AC5E-9B6D50CB6E70
Ok, the mystery may have been solved time to revisit mine as they have to go away. Thank you for the write up!!

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
It's my understanding that the two door and four door have different headrest setups. People are having problems with the four doors (unlimited).

Sponsored

Chubbs539

First Name
Chubbs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
New guy here. I read through this I’m entire thread last night and still didn’t see a solution. Just wanted to comment and say that it is possible! Couple beers and a few hours later. The headrest is off completely. It would have gone much faster if i wasn’t working at night with a headlamp!

Diono Radian 3RXT fits perfect
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear headrest removal 17E75D02-57CC-4070-BDB4-B23EB1972BE5
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear headrest removal BC65E887-E6B9-4662-9CFA-FFF09581296A

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
New guy here. I read through this I’m entire thread last night and still didn’t see a solution.
Great, now we know there's a solution, but not how it's done.;)
Any advice on how you did it?

bergmane1

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4-door JL Sahara
Hi all,
I just picked up a 2021 4-door JL and running into the same issue Chubbs539 and others had with the Diono car-seat.

The Wrangler is a bit different than the Gladiator as the top tether (kid car seat latch) gets in the way on the back of the seat when you undo the fabric clip and go to unzip the fabric.

Does anyone know how to remove the plastic covers around the metal latch for the kids car seats on the back side?

Thanks,
Evan

MaggieJeep

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR Granite Crystal
Occupation
Architect
Still no solution? what a dumb design