Rear hard top leaking down inside of back glass

JL Sahara

First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Been raining most of the day , I’m getting streaks of rain water running down the inside of the glass !!
I can’t seem to see any issue with the seal and or tailgate adjustment
Any ideas ?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Medictrode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2017 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
My JK used to do that, I was hoping they figured this out for the JL.. I get it's a Jeep and all, but for 50k this is kinda crazy.. As far as solutions go: I used to spray silicone spray on all my door seals every few months on my JK to keep most leaks from happening. It soaks into the rubber and swells it a bit which helps. I really hope this is something I don't have to do on the regular with my JL...:lipssealed:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
My JK used to do that, I was hoping they figured this out for the JL.. I get it's a Jeep and all, but for 50k this is kinda crazy.. As far as solutions go: I used to spray silicone spray on all my door seals every few months on my JK to keep most leaks from happening. It soaks into the rubber and swells it a bit which helps. I really hope this is something I don't have to do on the regular with my JL...:lipssealed:
The source of leaks between JK and JL are most likely different. I read the JK leaks were very common through about 2012-2013. The windshield frame gusset alignment was off. The factory installed a machine around 2012 to help align the windshield frame gusset to the body better. The JL hard top supplier is supposedly having a difficult time making and supplying tops. I wonder if they are overlooking quality control to get tops delivered?

Medictrode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2017 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
The source of leaks between JK and JL are most likely different. I read the JK leaks were very common through about 2012-2013. The windshield frame gusset alignment was off. The factory installed a machine around 2012 to help align the windshield frame gusset to the body better. The JL hard top supplier is supposedly having a difficult time making and supplying tops. I wonder if they are overlooking quality control to get tops delivered?
Yeah, the JK leak issues was quite the complicated set of circumstances, depending if it was JK v1 or JK v2. MOPAR came out with a rather large "whitepaper" PDF document which talked about each leak and how to fix it. The back glass though is pretty straight forward and not as complex as the front areas. Still, I hope this doesn't become an issue with my new JL.

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S 3.6L Sting Gray, 2014 Jeep MK Compass Latitude 2.4L
I notice this as well. Seems to happen under both the following conditions:
  1. Opening the backglass during rain
    1. you can see water at the top portion of backglass
    2. somewhat understandable, but i think can be prevented
  2. When getting in/out of Jeep, the air pressure pushes on the backglass
    1. you can see this by having someone open/shut driver door while you watch backglass
    2. not as understandable, indicates weather seal doesn't push hard enough against glass
    3. I even observed this behavior this morning as I was driving to work and noticed water drops running down inside of backglass
      1. it wasn't raining, at all
      2. water was from rain over night
      3. noticed when going over bumps/vibrations in road