Rossp

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Hi all,

I have encountered an issue with a loud, noticeable grinding noise coming from the rear passenger area when making low speed turns or going over speed bumps with passengers. When I am alone in the Jeep it is perfectly fine, but when I have a passenger (or 3) the noise is very noticeable. It sounds like a bolt is loose somewhere near the wheel, and sounds like metal grinding on metal, or almost a thudding noise.

I took the Jeep in to my dealership, they had it two days and say they could not replicate the noise, with passengers. They said they had it on the lift, suspension axles etc are all fine. It’ a 2019 Sahara, 24k miles, no suspension mods.

The noise started a little over a month ago - is this a normal for wranglers or are they just giving me the brush off?

I’ve done some searches on the forums, apart from the Dana 44 (I have M186?) there was some mention of others having this but no clear resolution. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and successfully resolved it.
Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
At a minimum they should drain the gear oil in the rear axle to verify normal gear oil and no metal particles in it. Next would be to verify all brake components are in order as well as all rotating parts like the driveshaft. Failing bearings can make some very odd noises and can be intermittently apparent.

Their Failure to duplicate a noise is hardly proof of no issue. Remain persistent and even become a pest to the service dept if you need to.

Just remember the dealership service dept is a place where you have no allies.

OP
OP
Rossp

Rossp

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I haven’t been back to the dealer yet, however, I now believe the noise is coming from the front passenger seat. My husband was in the Jeep yesterday and noticed the noise and said it felt like the seat was moving when the noise occurred - usually around low speed turns when I guess there is a lot of force on the seat.

Today I sat in the passenger seat and was able to replicate the noise by leaning my weight into it (we’re both big guys). I checked the floor bolts and they all seem tight. Maybe it’s in the seat itself, in the hinge or part that reclines? Sounds like it comes from the floor though. Maybe another trip to the dealer before my warranty is out...
Sponsored