Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I'm going to go ahead and make some cuts. Hopefully, this fixes the issue.
Update: I removed the edges of the tape going around the corner and the squeaking noise is gone. Let me know if you guys find a solution for rattling noise from the freedom panels now.
Sponsored

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Thank you for this. Ordering the tape today! I took my Jeep to the dealer and they said there was a Service Bulletin for it to apply silicone to the weatherstripping. I had a quiet ride for a whole 4 hours before it returned! Can't wait to apply this tape.

faisal123

First Name
Faz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara & 2022 Wrangler Sport
I had the same issue and went to the dealership today. They just applied dielectric grease and the annoying noise is gone for now.

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely amazing stuff. Virtually invisible (completely invisible with the tailgate closed). Applied it this morning and the tailgate was completely and utterly silent. Not. A. Peep! (no, not the yummy little yellow marshmallow kind)

After a quick wipe with alcohol, I applied the top edge of the tape to the top edge of the tailgate and smoothed the rest over the inside lip. Unless you are really looking for it you won't see it. If you see the picture below you only faintly see some air bubbles that should pass with time, but it's on the inside of the tailgate so I don't really care.

I don't understand why the factory doesn't do this. This just might be my best upgrade to date... or at least on par with the Sunrider :like:

A big vote of thanks to @Vegvisir66 for his post mentioning the tape that his dealer put on. I had no clue this stuff existed.

I purchased a 0.5" x 5 yard roll of 3M 5430 PTFE/UHMW anti-squeak tape for about $20 on Amazon. Have plenty to spare in case it needs to be renewed from time to time.

https://www.amazon.com/0-125-5-5430...+5+yard&qid=1556287711&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

IMG_1505.JPG
Where exactly are you putting the tape?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Where exactly are you putting the tape?
Across the top inside lip of the tailgate where it touches the rubber from the rear window.

Sponsored

eman20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Thank you all I was going mad with the tailgate sound. The tape worked for me. I was skeptical about this but super happy to find out the noise is gone.

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
Thanks so much for posting this, and so glad I found this thread! The noise has been driving me nuts. Thought I didn’t have my top torqued to speck. Been fiddling with it for weeks. I ordered the tape, but tried a thin layer of Milcomm TW25 extreme grease on the tailgate today and noise is gone! Will clean if off and get the tape installed when it arrives.

Last edited:

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
The tape worked amazing! The maddening noise is gone! It was starting to sound like some 30 year jalopy. Now it sounds like a nice new vehicle again. Now if I can just figure out my creaking front suspension it will actually sound like it should for what we paid for it haha. Thanks so much for this thread!

migrace

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door JL Rubi
The body shop tech at my dealer put 3M anti-squeak tape along the top edge of my tailgate. To my amazement, it worked. The noise I was experiencing was loud and maddening. This was a 10 minute job and worth the dealer trip...Good Luck!
Just get the tape, it’s life changing!

AC87

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Service Technician
2 weeks into ownership and I need to do this. Lmao. Thank you for this thread, I know the keep will rattle and squeak, I get it but when just driving normally it was driving me absolutely nuts since I couldn’t find the squeak. I’m so glad to fix this. Thank you to all who posted advice and tips.