Sponsored

Rear glass panel noise

Jlb1177

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
The rear glass panel is making a rubber squishing sound for some reason. When I lift the glass and close the tailgate, no noise. I close the glass and squishy sound is back. Super annoying sound. Cant really understand why it's happening all of a sudden. Never had an issue until now about 2 months of ownership. Any ideas.
Sponsored

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
Mine does the same, gets worse if there's rain. I'm going to add some dressing to the weatherstripping.

McBeeve

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Rubicon
Occupation
Facilities Administrator
Is this what you are experiencing?

Sponsored

myerides

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Operations Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same problem and posted about it in this forum. Found out that it's the rubber seal at the bottom of the rear glass that touches the rear gate. I took the advice of forum members and applied a light coat of silicone to the seal and haven't had a problem since.

OP
OP
Jlb1177

Jlb1177

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I'll try that. Thanks for posting

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Thanks Guys, You answered mu issues. This Forum is better than any Stealership!!!

KINGHAWV

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had the same problem and posted about it in this forum. Found out that it's the rubber seal at the bottom of the rear glass that touches the rear gate. I took the advice of forum members and applied a light coat of silicone to the seal and haven't had a problem since.
Any pics? And what’s kind of brand/silicone..

yz kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL RUBICON
I’m having the same issue. Anyone care to take a picture of where exactly to apply silicone?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@yz kid

I have found plain old dish soap works well. I applied weeks ago and it is still doing the job.

At first I applied it to all the gaskets around the rear window..... Still had the noise.. 8-(

BUT then I zeroed in on the offending gasket.. offending contact point...

Look at your tailgate. The top of your JL's metal, painted tail gate is what, about 4'+ long. When you close the tail gate that whole, very top edge, fits into a gasket. Again, just the very top edge of the tail gate slides into a gasket. It's that top edge, in that gasket pocket type affair, where the creak..rubbing noise...squeak or whatever you want to call it is coming from.

SO, knowing this, do not apply the dish soap or whatever to the gasket itself.... Place a healthy dose of the dish soap or whatever right on the top metal edge of your painted tail gate. NOW, with the rear window down, open and close the tail gate a few times. This open and closing forces the dish soap / lubricant right... works it into where it needs to be ... right into where the creak.. rubbing noise is emanating from. Do this and your noise will probably be history like mine. Yes, I did clean up the top of the tail gate after doing this deed.

By the way, I use dish soap as a lubricant as the dish soap will not stain, grease up, your clothes when you come in contact with a gasket that has it on it. Dish soap will not break down the gasket either.

Scott1911

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 Door Unicorn
@yz kid

I have found plain old dish soap works well. I applied weeks ago and it is still doing the job.

At first I applied it to all the gaskets around the rear window..... Still had the noise.. 8-(

Look at your tailgate. The top of your JL's metal, painted tail gate is what, about 4'+ long. When you close the tail gate that whole, very top edge, fits into a gasket. Again, just the very top edge of the tail gate slides into a gasket. It's that top edge, in that gasket pocket type affair, where the creak..rubbing noise...squeak or whatever you want to call it is coming from.

SO, knowing this, do not apply the dish soap or whatever to the gasket itself.... Place a healthy dose of the dish soap or whatever right on the top metal edge of your painted tail gate. NOW, with the rear window down, open and close the tail gate a few times. This open and closing forces the dish soap / lubricant right... works it into where it needs to be ... right into where the creak.. rubbing noise is emanating from. Do this and your noise will probably be history like mine. Yes, I did clean up the top of the tail gate after doing this deed.

By the way, I use dish soap as a lubricant as the dish soap will not stain, grease up, your clothes when you come in contact with a gasket that has it on it. Dish soap will not break down the gasket either.
Ditto the door/window gasket, but I use a healthy dose of 303. Silicon did NOT work for me.

yz kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL RUBICON
@yz kid

This worked perfect. Thanks so much for the info!

Vegvisir66

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Ditto the door/window gasket, but I use a healthy dose of 303. Silicon did NOT work for me.
The body shop tech at my dealer put 3M anti-squeak tape along the top edge of my tailgate. To my amazement, it worked. The noise I was experiencing was loud and maddening. This was a 10 minute job and worth the dealer trip...Good Luck!

TRAILZPLZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
@yz kid

Genius! This worked perfectly and i am enjoying the MUCH quieter ride. The weight of the 37' spare was cause the gate to rub the gasket differently (and loudly)...it's silent now. Thanks!!
Sponsored