Rear Fenders Rock Damage

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Do you have any good pictures of the XL width? I have been digging around everywhere and can't see the coverage clearly.
I assume you've already seen this? Still kinda hard to tell exactly how much coverage you'll get.

834F7E3D-B6D7-4726-AB25-71DAB43172A7.png
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I assume you've already seen this? Still kinda hard to tell exactly how much coverage you'll get.

834F7E3D-B6D7-4726-AB25-71DAB43172A7.png
Yea, I've been trying to find a picture looking as straight forward as possible, or even better, with a measurement.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, I've been trying to find a picture looking as straight forward as possible, or even better, with a measurement.
Well this one is mostly straight on - on a Rubicon JL w/3.5" lift, 37" tires on Method 701 wheels with XL size flaps...
0B4EED57-8819-42B8-96E0-4669228D63F9.jpeg

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
I have BFG KO2’s 35x12.5R18 tires on my Jeep with Spidertrax wheel spacers. Living 7 miles down a dirt road, the rock that comes off the front tires is beating the crap out of the front of the rear fenders. It’s even worst when it rains!

Any of you having the same problem? If so what are you doing to solve the issue?
It's not a problem..

....its a Jeep

Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Do you have any good pictures of the XL width? I have been digging around everywhere and can't see the coverage clearly.
I don't. Their website had a pic, but it's a pretty small picture, that might help though.

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
What a stupid thing to say. Paint damage is obviously a problem, it leads to rust. Unnecessary damage to fenders is a problem too.
Really?!

Do you really expect a truck with knobby tires to not kick up rocks?

And he has them sticking out beyond the flares.

Nevermind going OFF-ROAD where the "roads" are MADE of ROCKS.

it's a Jeep thing not a design defect.

It is your comment that is ridiculous and stupid.

Take a lap

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I know you said you are keeping the ko2, but they are at least 50% of your problem. I do a lot of dirt road driving as well and as soon as I get rid of those tires all the tinging went away. Good luck, I hope you find a mud flap that works well.

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
I have Roam Steps on mine, resolved a lot of the issue, but still get a few time to time off a dirt road of course. You fix is whatever works for you... I have PPF on mine now... which I'll be removing soon. Didn't hold up pre roam steps to the rocks... multiple went right thru it to the paint. PPF in those spots looks like crap now as an outcome... and didn't save the fenders. I'll roll with the steps helping the issue and I like the look - I'm removing PPF this weekend.
Down the road color matching Line-X to redo the fenders and not have the issue going forward.

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
Really?!

Do you really expect a truck with knobby tires to not kick up rocks?

And he has them sticking out beyond the flares.

Nevermind going OFF-ROAD where the "roads" are MADE of ROCKS.

it's a Jeep thing not a design defect.

It is your comment that is ridiculous and stupid.

Take a lap

This. When I placed my order last year, the salesman asked me if I wanted painted fenders. I said, "Why the hell would I want those? They'll be damaged day 1." Well, I was wrong.. it took me two days to take some chunks out of them :)

My hinges are actually looking pretty good though.. 9 months after the fact.

Sponsored

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
What a stupid thing to say. Paint damage is obviously a problem, it leads to rust. Unnecessary damage to fenders is a problem too.
A real answer would be for him to get MUD FLAPS which will help rocks hitting the flares.

Would have about 80% less rock damage. Or get rid of the spacers.

It's a JEEP THING!!

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
This. When I placed my order last year, the salesman asked me if I wanted painted fenders. I said, "Why the hell would I want those? They'll be damaged day 1." Well, I was wrong.. it took me two days to take some chunks out of them :)

My hinges are actually looking pretty good though.. 9 months after the fact.
You need to get either side steps and or mud flaps bud.

That sucks beating up your fenders like that.

I'm running 35 KO2's, 1.75 Spidertrax with side steps and mud flaps...very rare my rear fenders or hinges get hit.

My wheels stick out beyond the flares a out 2.5"

Flaps help a lot and look pretty good actually.

Good luck

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Strange. That doesn’t happen on my Jeep. Lol.

289C62A5-C8DC-490D-B280-993A6B3DC8ED.jpeg
I will add to the convo that with my Mopar performance rock rails I don't get much muck on my doors/rear fender, but some. I also run stock tires so they don't stick out. It seems like common sense that if your tires stick out that you're gonna have some problems like this. Pretty sure mud flaps or "Sahara-style" side steps/rails would be the only way to minimize it.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I will add to the convo that with my Mopar performance rock rails I don't get much muck on my doors/rear fender, but some. I also run stock tires so they don't stick out. It seems like common sense that if your tires stick out that you're gonna have some problems like this. Pretty sure mud flaps or "Sahara-style" side steps/rails would be the only way to minimize it.
Mud flaps AND Sahara side steps
Sponsored

Last edited: