Sponsored

Rear Facing Car Seat in the 4xe

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
Has anyone put a rear facing infant seat in the rear of their 4xe yet? How is it? With the changes to the spacing of the rear seat I'm curious how they work out and if a normal sized human can fit in the front passenger seat at the same time? This is the one sticking point I had hoped to play around with this past weekend but unfortunately the little one was a bit fussy and didn't get the opportunity.
Sponsored

Gooner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green 4xe
My little ones are in boosters now, so can't say for sure... but recalling what they looked like in my old JK... it'll be tight rear facing. I would expect the passenger to have to move up a good amount.

OP
OP

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
My little ones are in boosters now, so can't say for sure... but recalling what they looked like in my old JK... it'll be tight rear facing. I would expect the passenger to have to move up a good amount.
Thanks. I expect the seat'll have to be pushed up a fair amount too. My wife rides in the rear with the little guy right now anyway so for my use case I don't strictly speaking need a front passenger but it would be nice to know I'm sure for other folks.

Gooner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green 4xe
Thanks. I expect the seat'll have to be pushed up a fair amount too. My wife rides in the rear with the little guy right now anyway so for my use case I don't strictly speaking need a front passenger but it would be nice to know I'm sure for other folks.
Yeah I wish I had better news for you... but eyeballing the 4xe the rear legroom is definitely not huge at all. Quite tight. Not sure how it actually compares to a regular JL since I don't have time in one... but I'd say it is the same as my JK was.

Our use case will put my 14 year old daughter (5' 9" roughly) behind the passenger seat with that up a bit. The boosters sit in the middle and behind the driver. Booster room is fine though I'd select a narrow seat regardless to allow room for others in the back.

If the wife is driving, I am likely not in the vehicle and then the teen can ride up front and the back is a non issue.

Compromises with Wranglers are still a real thing... but worth it!

OP
OP

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
Sounds like you're raising a basketball player there huh. She's taller than my wife, almost as tall as me lol.

Sponsored

Gooner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green 4xe
Sounds like you're raising a basketball player there huh. She's taller than my wife, almost as tall as me lol.
She's got no handles... she's a club soccer player since she was 6 though. She JUST caught up to mom a couple of months ago... now we shall see if she is done or not.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I was led to this thread from this one

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/4xe-rear-seat-legroom.69978/page-1

In saying that, I have had my grandson in a rear face and I can still slide passenger seat back about 3-4" (at headrest) until it starts to affect angle of car seat. Granted it's a 2.0 but looking at specs on other thread, you should be fine unless your passenger is a tall streak of misery.

Gooner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green 4xe
I was led to this thread from this one

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/4xe-rear-seat-legroom.69978/page-1

In saying that, I have had my grandson in a rear face and I can still slide passenger seat back about 3-4" (at headrest) until it starts to affect angle of car seat. Granted it's a 2.0 but looking at specs on other thread, you should be fine unless your passenger is a tall streak of misery.
It's a Wrangler... it's gonna be tight no matter what but that's okay as long as it squeezes in!

Now, having to sell my 1991 LS swapped Grand Wagoneer because I had two rear facing seats that COULDN'T fit no matter what you did to the front seats... that was a tough pill to swallow.

dunehole

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sahara 4xe (on order), Subaru Legacy
It is going to be very tight, we have a large front facing car seat and its pretty tight. I put it in the middle and my daughters feet rest on the air vents. I'm sure it will fit behind the passenger seat with the seat pushed up quite a bit. The back of the 4xe is anything but roomy.

OP
OP

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
Little guy's seat fits no problem. I can fit in the passenger seat in front of him with inches to spare (I am 6', 32ish" inseam). Plenty of room! (His car seat not touching the passenger seat, passenger seat back one more click would be touching.) This is a Clek Liing on the LATCH/ISOFIX base with the rubber protective mat. Haven't brought one home yet but maybe soon. Biggest question I had now answered.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Facing Car Seat in the 4xe PXL_20210424_202915145
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Facing Car Seat in the 4xe PXL_20210424_202902078
Sponsored