Sponsored

Rear Ended A Second Time. What To Check On Steel Bumper?

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I got rear ended for second time last night. It was a relatively low speed collision, she was going maybe 10-12 mph in an older Acura TSX or whatever model, which had to have been totaled. She tried to flee the scene and I had to run her down, but that's a different story. First time was by a Chevy 2500 about 2 years ago at about 2-3 mph. Both collisions were on the passenger side of the bumper, neither hit the spare tire. I also attached a pic of what I have in my trailer hitch, it took and deflected a good bit of the impact as well.

As with the first collision, there was no visible damage to the Jeep, bumper, or trailer hitch, other than the white marks I've already removed. Doesn't appear she hit the muffler either. But with this being the second time in the same spot, is there anything or any certain spot I should check to see if it appears stressed or bent? I looked where the bumper is mounted to the frame and followed the frame rail back, but it looks fine, as did everything else.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Ended A Second Time. What To Check On Steel Bumper? 1639407009648

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Ended A Second Time. What To Check On Steel Bumper? 1639407144741
Sponsored

Last edited:

HempelNet

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR (Crystal Granite)
Occupation
Sr. Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Be sure to have your Jeep checked out. I was in a three car collision with me being hit from behind pushing me into another vehicle. Both the other vehicles had to be towed away and was totaled. My Jeep all steel bumpers and rail guards finished driving to work after the police party was done.

After the inspection of my Jeep they found my frame has been bent above the rear passenger tire that could not be repaired. This then totaled my vehicle as well. Drove fine and they only found the issue after the dealer started ordering new parts and could not get them to install correctly..

Reactions: DHW
OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Be sure to have your Jeep checked out. I was in a three car collision with me being hit from behind pushing me into another vehicle. Both the other vehicles had to be towed away and was totaled. My Jeep all steel bumpers and rail guards finished driving to work after the police party was done.

After the inspection of my Jeep they found my frame has been bent above the rear passenger tire that could not be repaired. This then totaled my vehicle as well. Drove fine and they only found the issue after the dealer started ordering new parts and could not get them to install correctly..
So you got it inspected at a Jeep dealer? Was there anything visible that indicated the frame damage?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I would have the Jeep up on a hoist and have every suspension, engine and transmission mount checked.

I wouldn’t take it to a dealer; I’d go to a reputable body shop. Jeep dealers can’t even do a 5-tire rotation, change the oil or check the fuse box. They are not going to know what to look for down there.

Good luck.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
If that’s the real speed of the collision, then it’s fine. Check alignment. If the frame is bent, that will show it. If the frame is bent and doesn’t affect alignment then it just doesn’t matter.

Reactions: DHW

Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
I would have the Jeep up on a hoist and have every suspension, engine and transmission mount checked.

I wouldn’t take it to a dealer; I’d go to a reputable body shop. Jeep dealers can’t even do a 5-tire rotation, change the oil or check the fuse box. They are not going to know what to look for down there.

Good luck.
Definitely a good, reputable body shop. Unless your dealer has said good, reputable body shop, most dealer garages are not equipped to accurately mitigate and prosecute body and potential frame damage.

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
If that’s the real speed of the collision, then it’s fine. Check alignment. If the frame is bent, that will show it. If the frame is bent and doesn’t affect alignment then it just doesn’t matter.
If anything she wasn't even going that fast. I'm guessing that since the bumper is still the exact same distance from the body of the Jeep as it was before, nothing was bent.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

just a few measurements and a good once over should be good enough. id measure at 6 points on the bumper and if that was still even at all those points then i would once over the frame up to the transfer case for any stress points/ bends or fresh paint chipping. inspect if all that clears and the alignment is fine then I would just drive it and see how it feels for a few days. Tell you insurance that you where involved in a rear end collision but state that you show no damage on the vehicle at this time and plan to get it inspected and just want to make sure they have it on file just incase something comes up and they can get you fixed without making a fuss

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
just a few measurements and a good once over should be good enough. id measure at 6 points on the bumper and if that was still even at all those points then i would once over the frame up to the transfer case for any stress points/ bends or fresh paint chipping. inspect if all that clears and the alignment is fine then I would just drive it and see how it feels for a few days. Tell you insurance that you where involved in a rear end collision but state that you show no damage on the vehicle at this time and plan to get it inspected and just want to make sure they have it on file just incase something comes up and they can get you fixed without making a fuss
I 2nd this except I wouldn't say anything about having no damage at this point. Say you need to have the vehicle inspected for damage first, as you are not properly qualified to identify, even if you are.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Make sure there's no sign saying "hit me" for sure! :CWL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Here’s where she hit the trailer hitch step.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Ended A Second Time. What To Check On Steel Bumper? C0AA7B61-D8C3-4C5F-BF1C-3B89E9873EBA

Edit: Now seeing this pic, looks like she may have made some contact with the muffler

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If anything she wasn't even going that fast. I'm guessing that since the bumper is still the exact same distance from the body of the Jeep as it was before, nothing was bent.
The fact that her car was "totaled" adds a sobering dimension to all of this. For her car to be in that condition she had to hit you at some speed. Cars don't just collapse by themselves.

I was rearended once in my 2009 JKUR. The other guy was doing 35 or 40 MPH. His 3-month old Prius was totalled. My rear steel bumper barely showed any scuffing. The other guy's insurance paid for a new rear bumper and that was that. Months later the manual transmission developed a whine in 2nd, 4th and 6th gears. When the body shop took another look, found a bent transmission mount that had gone undetected. At that point the other guy's insurance company wasn't accepting any responsibility.

Unlike modern crumple zone construction, body-on-frame construction allows the shock of the impact to travel the length of the frame, hitting anything attached to the frame: engine, transmission, shocks, axles, etc.
Sponsored