Sponsored

Rear differential crap out

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
There are JLUR’s having the same issues. It’s across the board but more prevalent in the sub models. Dana is aware of the issues with the rear 44’s and is struggling to keep up with demand both to the line and the effected rears. My rear carrier assembly was on back order for 30 days..
What was your symptom? Noise when lifting off gas pedal? Like a very slight whine?
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
What was your symptom? Noise when lifting off gas pedal? Like a very slight whine?
It was on initial acceleration, initial deceleration and at random while driving. It was a clunk or knock in the acceleration/deceleration and a rotational knock while driving which progressively got worse (louder more prominent).

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
If you read through the knock in rear diff thread there is a sound clip of the noise.

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
90,000 km on my 2018 JL Sahara with LSD and so far no issue...fingers crossed...I didn't realize there was an issue with the LSD.

Sponsored

Gallagher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited JL
My 2019 Rubicon has a slight whine when lifted off/decelerating. Started basically since new, now have 15,000 miles on it. I changed my rear end fluid at 11,000 miles to 75-140W Royal Purple and it sounds exactly the same. Hasn't got better or worse. I told the dealer about it twice and they aren't concerned. When I changed the fluid the original was completely clean, looked like honey. Not metallic at all.

I've just put it out of my mind.

Saltysnook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door 2.0
Your guess is as good as mine but the rear carrier assembly fixed mine in my situation. As for the JLUR’s that have been affected I’m not sure what their cure is but I can certainly ask. My take, poor setup. I had more faith in Dana in general before this happened..
What symptoms were you having?

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
What symptoms were you having?
It was on initial acceleration, initial deceleration and at random while driving. It was a clunk or knock in the acceleration/deceleration and a rotational knock while driving which progressively got worse (louder more prominent).

4x4Trailing

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
My Jeep JL unlimited sport s currently has 16400 km on it and I had to bring it to the shop after is started making a noise in the rear every time I would take my foot off the gas. Dealer said they have to basically redo all the internals of my rear diff lol. Kind of said how jeeps are supposed to have rock solid diffs for off roading and my craps out with so few km and having done no off roading yet. Disappointed to say the least. Thank go for warranty. But guess I won’t be putting a lift or anything
I have a 2019 JL 2 door Rubicon all stock. I have only 8000 kms on it and according to the dealer it needs a new rear diff gear kit (part number 6840136AA) which is on back order. They have no timeline as to when the part will be in stock, and it has already been 2 weeks since it was in for service. They also can’t seem to give me a straight answer as to why the part is not available. Very frustration as i can only operate the Jeep in 2 wheel drive. Luckily it will be covered under warranty, but will be sticking to the pavement until it is fixed. Could there possibly be an upcoming recall? Anyone know the answer? Disappointed as well.

jerrygcoffey

First Name
Jeramiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0T w/ eTorque
Occupation
Software Engineer
I’m concerned about this. I am having the same issue with my 2018 JLUS 2.0. I am wanting the dealer to make this right but I have a 2.5” lift and 35s, and some dents in my gas tank skid and I’m concerned that they will find a way to not repair under warranty.

Sponsored

Saltysnook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door 2.0
I have a 2019 JL 2 door Rubicon all stock. I have only 8000 kms on it and according to the dealer it needs a new rear diff gear kit (part number 6840136AA) which is on back order. They have no timeline as to when the part will be in stock, and it has already been 2 weeks since it was in for service. They also can’t seem to give me a straight answer as to why the part is not available. Very frustration as i can only operate the Jeep in 2 wheel drive. Luckily it will be covered under warranty, but will be sticking to the pavement until it is fixed. Could there possibly be an upcoming recall? Anyone know the answer? Disappointed as well.
What were your particular symptoms?

dlporter

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Interesting I this thread just popped up. I just got my Jeep back from the dealer last Friday for rear diff issues. Took it in for one of the Jeep wave oil changes and they found my rear diff fluid black, so I had them open it up and inspect. They found excessive metal in the oil, excessive wear on the ring and pinion, and excessive pitting on the spider gears. I have a rubicon, and apparently there are no replacement locker assemblies available. I ended up getting a whole new rear axle under warranty. Mine was not making any noise, the darkened oil was the only indication something was off.

I have a 2.5 inch lift with 37s and the dealership didn’t give me any hassle about warranty. The service writer asked who installed it, and then commented that my driveline angles looked good. At this point, the lift and tires had only been on for about 300 miles. I chalked it up to an axle assembled on Friday afternoon, but I’m treating the new one like I would a new set of gears. I plan on changing the fluid at 500 miles and pulling the cover to inspect.

4x4Trailing

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
What were your particular symptoms?
I picked it up used from the dealership with around 4000 kms on it, and I hadn't tested out the 4x4 system before I bought it. I assumed everything would be working fine. I know, that was stupid.

The symptoms were:

-When shift from 2H to 4H or from 4H to 2H, the Jeep would pull hard to the right and felt like the front passenger side wheel was locking up. The Jeep would almost come to a halt. There were also grinding noises when shifting from 2H to 4H or vice versa.

-When shifting from 4H to 2H there would also be a very loud clunk.

The Jeep dealership did a road test with it, and duplicated the issues. According to the technician:

-All speed sensors were working properly.

-They checked with their tech support line and there were no STAR cases for it.

-They inspected the transmission and output and speed sensor and wiring harnesses and confirmed them to be good.

-They inspected the transfer case and the fluid and cable condition and confirmed they were good.

-They said the vehicle was not fully going into 4H.

-They performed and inspected gear ratio, front diff gear was 4x10, and rear gear ratio was 41x11. Its 4 and 3.73 gear ratio were different. The option list showed 4x10 front and rear differential.

-They said it was possibly a factory default and require to replace rear differential gear set.

So I am stuck just using 2H until the parts arrive, whenever that will be.

Last edited:

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Interesting I this thread just popped up. I just got my Jeep back from the dealer last Friday for rear diff issues. Took it in for one of the Jeep wave oil changes and they found my rear diff fluid black, so I had them open it up and inspect. They found excessive metal in the oil, excessive wear on the ring and pinion, and excessive pitting on the spider gears. I have a rubicon, and apparently there are no replacement locker assemblies available. I ended up getting a whole new rear axle under warranty. Mine was not making any noise, the darkened oil was the only indication something was off.

I have a 2.5 inch lift with 37s and the dealership didn’t give me any hassle about warranty. The service writer asked who installed it, and then commented that my driveline angles looked good. At this point, the lift and tires had only been on for about 300 miles. I chalked it up to an axle assembled on Friday afternoon, but I’m treating the new one like I would a new set of gears. I plan on changing the fluid at 500 miles and pulling the cover to inspect.
I am not aware of a widespread problem with the Rubicons. There definitely seems to be a significant problem with the models that use LSD. Hopefully FCA and their supplier will sort the issue out before everyone's warranty runs out and people have to start paying for this.

A few people have moved to Rubicon axles to get around this issue. This seems to be cheaper than implementing after market solutions.

4x4Trailing

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
I picked it up used from the dealership with around 4000 kms on it, and I hadn't tested out the 4x4 system before I bought it. I assumed everything would be working fine. I know, that was stupid.

The symptoms were:

-When shift from 2H to 4H or from 4H to 2H, the Jeep would pull hard to the right and felt like the front passenger side wheel was locking up. The Jeep would almost come to a halt. There were also grinding noises when shifting from 2H to 4H or vice versa.

-When shifting from 4H to 2H there would also be a very loud clunk.

The Jeep dealership did a road test with it, and duplicated the the issues. According to the technician:

-All speed sensors were working properly.

-They checked with their tech support line and there were no STAR cases for it.

-They inspected the transmission and output and speed sensor and wiring harnesses and confirmed them to be good.

-They inspected the transfer case and the fluid and cable condition and confirmed they were good.

-They said the vehicle was not fully going into 4H.

-They performed and inspected gear ratio, front diff gear was 4x10, and rear gear ratio was 41x11. Its 4 and 3.73 gear ratio were different. The option list showed 4x10 front and rear differential.

-They said it was possibly a factory default and require to replace rear differential gear set.

So I am stuck just using 2H until the parts arrive, whenever that will be.
I am not aware of a widespread problem with the Rubicons. There definitely seems to be a significant problem with the models that use LSD. Hopefully FCA and their supplier will sort the issue out before everyone's warranty runs out and people have to start paying for this.

A few people have moved to Rubicon axles to get around this issue. This seems to be cheaper than implementing after market solutions.

I received a phone call from the Jeep dealership today regarding the rear differential gear kit on back order for the Rubicon. They estimated that they will receive the kit On March 26th, 2020. The part apparently isn’t available anywhere
in Canada according to Chrysler Canada.
Sponsored