Sponsored

Rear differential bearings are defective, less than 500 miles

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Beware EVERYONE Jeep is not admitting a problem in the fix is going to be on your dime. Make sure to document any rear end noises or problems you have. Read the other huge thread on this.
The 2020ā€™s are now out now with no fix to the known problem!
Isnā€™t that a kick in the nuts!!

OP
OP
RagTopDeluxe

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I had no trouble with the dealer fixing this for me and thankfully Iā€™ve had zero problems with the bearings since the repair.

Reactions: VNT

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Itā€™s definitely a Rubicon problem no questions about that. People get it documented! They have no fix for it theyā€™re just throwing bad parts back at it. Called them and they say there is not a parts change. Guy on the line laughed a little and said they need a new redesign!
Bad, but they donā€™t care as long as they get your hard earned money. Thatā€™s what they care about.
They got your $30,000.00-$60,000.00 PLUS and they will get your repair money eventually for their known terrible issue as well.
People the rest of the forum members need to know bout this and SCREAM!! Do not trade in, they are knowingly selling the same crap!!

BlackJL

First Name
Lonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
At 12000 miles black differential oil and metal shavings were found in my rear diff. I am picking it up from the dealer today after 2 weeks in the shop and will see how it goes. I do have a case open with Jeep Customer Care; they have been great.

Note: this is a follow up to an older post: Rear diff oil black?

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
At 12000 miles black differential oil and metal shavings were found in my rear diff. I am picking it up from the dealer today after 2 weeks in the shop and will see how it goes. I do have a case open with Jeep Customer Care; they have been great.

Note: this is a follow up to an older post: Rear diff oil black?
Hi Lonnie,
We're sorry to hear about your experience. It sounds as though you are already in contact with the appropriate team, however, should you need assistance getting in contact with your case manager, please let us know.
Alex
JeepCares

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Yeah right...What are you doing about bringing a permanent fix to this issue???
What have you changed in the 2020ā€™s??
No answers...I didnā€™t think so...

BlackJL

First Name
Lonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
****UPDATE****
Just got my JLU back from the dealership after a complete rebuild of the rear diff. We will see how she holds. I will keep everyone informed. Happy Jeepin!

RearDiffProb.png

OP
OP
RagTopDeluxe

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
****UPDATE****
Just got my JLU back from the dealership after a complete rebuild of the rear diff. We will see how she holds. I will keep everyone informed. Happy Jeepin!

RearDiffProb.png
Wow, your work was more extensive than mine.

Thankfully I havenā€™t had any issues with my rear diff since this work. The steering on the other hand...

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
RECALL THESE 2018-2020ā€™S NOW!!! We donā€™t care what it cost you, youā€™ve already been paid buy the loyal purchasers.
DO NOT LEAVE ALL 2018-2020 OWNERS HOLDING THE FINANCIAL BAG!!!!
PROVEN PROBLEM...FIX IT CORRECTLY FROM THE FIRST BUILT TO ONEā€™S BEING BUILT TODAY!!!
TERRIBLE!!!
THIS NEEDS TO GO VIRAL!!!!!

Sponsored

First Name
Alfonso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2019
I brought my custom ordered JLR home on April 26. This past Saturday, eight days later, we drove to the coast. On the way home, we heard an unusual noise coming from the rear of the Jeep. After stopping to check for debris under the Jeep, we headed on. The throttle response decreased and the noise didn't stop. Thankfully we weren't too far from home.

Here's a video of the noise:

I called FCA and opened a case.

I took it to the dealer this morning and they discovered that the rear differential bearings are defective.

I have also noticed that the steering wanders and is loose, so added that to the case and the service department will check that after the rear differential is fixed.

The (very helpful service advisor) took me into the shop and I took a few photos:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear differential bearings are defective, less than 500 miles RearDiffProb

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear differential bearings are defective, less than 500 miles RearDiffProb

The service department has been great so far and have been very helpful regarding a rental and communication.

This is incredibly disappointing! I have been looking forward to my Wrangler for some time and now have an SUV to drive around during this perfect spring weather. Here's hoping it's fixed soon(ish).
Hi question what is your set up regarding lift and tires size? Just want to see because mine is doing that right now

OP
OP
RagTopDeluxe

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Hi question what is your set up regarding lift and tires size? Just want to see because mine is doing that right now
Hi Alfonso, that happened when my Jeep was new and had no mods at all.

I hope your dealer can help you, even if you have mods on your Jeep.

Jpspaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
My Sahara has just started with a knock sound when I am slowing and then accelerate, such as in taking a turn. When I hit the gas again I hear a slight knock. Wondering if it is a rear diff issue. I dread the thought of having to bring my Jeep into the dealer to have them wreck it.

OP
OP
RagTopDeluxe

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
My Sahara has just started with a knock sound when I am slowing and then accelerate, such as in taking a turn. When I hit the gas again I hear a slight knock. Wondering if it is a rear diff issue. I dread the thought of having to bring my Jeep into the dealer to have them wreck it.
You will need to take it somewhere to be looked at. If itā€˜s under warranty you can try a dealer. Maybe the New England subforum can be helpful in finding a good one:https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/new-england.37/

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Iā€™ve had great service at Fitzpatrickā€™s in Ansonia. If youā€™re under warranty, thatā€™s where Iā€™d bring it.
Sponsored