Rear cargo deck start to finish

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I have been asked for a few more details on my rear cargo deck. Took me awhile to put a write up together but here goes.
First of all, I wanted a level back cargo deck as low as possible while leaving seats in. Nothing like this exists so I designed and made my own.
A quick narrative how this started. I wanted a flat surface in the back area that was useful while leaving the back seats in place and having a some lockable storage with top off. I will be running no top 90% of the year. The pictures will show a flip up lid over the stock flip up jeep cargo box. My lid opens up and the other opens thru it. In the closed position while everything is flat, the pictures will show a flange on the bottom back edge of my lid piece. The tailgate simply closes over that and won't allow the hatch to open. A simple secure area with the top off. I also wanted to keep the rear seats. Seemed like it was easy enough to design something that worked with the seats in place. I can have seats up and functioning in 2 minutes flat while the rear area behind the back seats remains as my secure locked deck. Just a smaller area. The goal was to be able to put dogs, camping stuff, a load of groceries or chairs for the beach in a kind of pick up bed so I am not forever tying everything down onto the top of a Tuffy deck.
Hopefully this link to an album of pictures from pretty much start to finish will be fairly easy to follow after reading this description. Seemed impossibly difficult to do pictures along with descriptions as I went! I can build a frikkin building or a house from the ground up or even design and create stuff like this project with ease. Getting me to learn the ins and outs of this damn computer is an entirely different animal. I am a complete retard. So here is the link to the album of pictures that may help make sense of how this was built.....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/D9si4x2ZskYPjV6r7.

Enjoy,
Vic
Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have been asked for a few more details on my rear cargo deck. Took me awhile to put a write up together but here goes.
First of all, I wanted a level back cargo deck as low as possible while leaving seats in. Nothing like this exists so I designed and made my own.
A quick narrative how this started. I wanted a flat surface in the back area that was useful while leaving the back seats in place and having a some lockable storage with top off. I will be running no top 90% of the year. The pictures will show a flip up lid over the stock flip up jeep cargo box. My lid opens up and the other opens thru it. In the closed position while everything is flat, the pictures will show a flange on the bottom back edge of my lid piece. The tailgate simply closes over that and won't allow the hatch to open. A simple secure area with the top off. I also wanted to keep the rear seats. Seemed like it was easy enough to design something that worked with the seats in place. I can have seats up and functioning in 2 minutes flat while the rear area behind the back seats remains as my secure locked deck. Just a smaller area. The goal was to be able to put dogs, camping stuff, a load of groceries or chairs for the beach in a kind of pick up bed so I am not forever tying everything down onto the top of a Tuffy deck.
Hopefully this link to an album of pictures from pretty much start to finish will be fairly easy to follow after reading this description. Seemed impossibly difficult to do pictures along with descriptions as I went! I can build a frikkin building or a house from the ground up or even design and create stuff like this project with ease. Getting me to learn the ins and outs of this damn computer is an entirely different animal. I am a complete retard. So here is the link to the album of pictures that may help make sense of how this was built.....

Enjoy,
Vic
I saw itt! LOL Omgoodness, amazing! That is so legit. 100% :rock:

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Enjoy,
Vic
I'm looking to do the exact same thing, great job!

Last edited:

Yellow109r

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLUR, Bright White
Occupation
Aircraft Industrial Engineer for the DoD
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up. Thanks for sharing

Sponsored

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
Vic - that is an amazing configuration. I could see how, with a little modification, the idea could be adapted to just about any desired setup.

As I flipped through the photos, I had a couple questions for my understanding (apologize if they are dumb questions)

- are the panels that sit over the seats removable? also are they made of wood? if so, how thick? to me it looks like those are flat removable panels you can take out and leave behind when you want to use the seats
- from the diagram, it looks to be about 5" tall - is that correct? I would like to use this design; it's relatively simple, but gives a nice, flat area. for me though I want to put a fridge behind the drivers side, but still have the seats up. I also have a vector gbb shelf - so I need to see if there's enough room.
- on your 'flip-up' portion, have you noticed any sag on the sides? it doesn't appear to have support along the sides, unless I'm just not seeing it. so you have the lip on the back, and the hinge on the front - but nothing along the sides. do you think it would support a person crawling around in there? it would be easy enough to add a support strip along the sides, but thought I'd ask if I was missing something first

great idea, thanks for sharing it.

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vic - that is an amazing configuration. I could see how, with a little modification, the idea could be adapted to just about any desired setup.

As I flipped through the photos, I had a couple questions for my understanding (apologize if they are dumb questions)

- are the panels that sit over the seats removable? also are they made of wood? if so, how thick? to me it looks like those are flat removable panels you can take out and leave behind when you want to use the seats
- from the diagram, it looks to be about 5" tall - is that correct? I would like to use this design; it's relatively simple, but gives a nice, flat area. for me though I want to put a fridge behind the drivers side, but still have the seats up. I also have a vector gbb shelf - so I need to see if there's enough room.
- on your 'flip-up' portion, have you noticed any sag on the sides? it doesn't appear to have support along the sides, unless I'm just not seeing it. so you have the lip on the back, and the hinge on the front - but nothing along the sides. do you think it would support a person crawling around in there? it would be easy enough to add a support strip along the sides, but thought I'd ask if I was missing something first

great idea, thanks for sharing it.
The panels are 1/2" plywood. Plenty strong but am replacing with aluminum for weather reasons. Yes 5", and I put a small 'L' bracket at the mid point of sides. I can stand on it, sleep two on it.
A local guy has seen it and hired me to to one for his older JK. Wants the same set up with the flat bed type finish for easy storage.

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
Very nice! do you simply store the rear seat panels at home when you have one or both seats in the upright position?

Sucram

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JLUR
Occupation
Nerd Herder
thanks Rangers1dad for sharing this.

Sponsored

nomad603

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Did you have to drill new mounting point? Or are there stock ones you were able to utilize?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Enjoy,
Vic
Wow, nice work!
Sponsored