First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Has anyone installed extra interior lighting in the rear cargo area that is tied in with the rest of the interior lights? If so, is there an easy place to tap into the existing wiring? I’m expecting delivery of my Slipstream security deck in the next week or so, and I’m looking to install an extra LED light or two underneath it.
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hey @Firemadz Joe:

Easy is a relative term.;) In your case you need not just electric, but synchronized electric, or to rephrase, the ability to not simply introduce new lighting, but that which is synchronized with the factory interior lights such that it goes on and off when the factory interior lights do. (Correct?)

First off lets talk electric for your new light independent of synchronization. Is your rig equipped with the 12V electric outlet in the cargo area? FCA seems to include this, according to the manual, for customers who also have a sub woofer (I think) back there. It's in the manual regarding the conditions under which FCA includes it.

Second, what kind of electric draw is your new light going to require? Allow me to suggest you go with something LED that gives considerable lumens relative to the small current it draws-but you may have different requirements.

If I were doing this I'd consider a couple of approaches. I'd tap the 12V plug in my cargo area, (which you may not have) which by factory default is always energized for power, and I think 20 amps, and then set up a relay with the center dome light to synchronize its illumination with the other interior lights. Small zip tied wires could ride up the Sports Bar. This setup, where the dome light is only used for signaling (not also power to light your light) insures that you aren't overtaxing the current its wires provide.

If your light draws little current, like an LED light, I suspect you could directly tap into the dome light for both current and synchronized signaling.

If you lack a rear 12V power source I'd go with a LED light whose electric is sourced by a USB. You could plug a long USB cable into a port in the back seat, relayed with the dome light. But note that these USB ports, according to the manual, are designed to shut off about an hour after the rig is powered down, should that impact your goals. This is what I do to charge a battery run LED strip in the cargo area, that is not synchronized with the interior lights, and charged by the aforementioned USB port. I run a long black USB extension cord under the (heavy duty) rear floor mats, then under the back seat and into the cargo area. For me, this synchronization with the interior lights wasn't important.

Yet another option might be jury rig a door switch of sorts, integrated with the tailgate, to signal energization of your light, independent of where you end up sourcing its power.

Cheers.

OP
OP
Firemadz

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
@RussJeep1

Thanks for the response. I guess I should have been more specific on my ultimate goal. What I’m basically looking to do is add an extra cargo area dome light under the deck. I was thinking about a similar installation to that desribed by @TTEChris in the installation of the lights on the ROAM side steps. That used the power wire from the front footwell light. I don’t want to run visible wires down the sports bar. I was thinking maybe it would be possible to find a trigger from the wiring harness going to the tailgate. As for lights, I planned to use LED fish eye lights light the ones used on the ROAM steps, but the ones I have are brighter.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
@RussJeep1

Thanks for the response. I guess I should have been more specific on my ultimate goal. What I’m basically looking to do is add an extra cargo area dome light under the deck. I was thinking about a similar installation to that desribed by @TTEChris in the installation of the lights on the ROAM side steps. That used the power wire from the front footwell light. I don’t want to run visible wires down the sports bar. I was thinking maybe it would be possible to find a trigger from the wiring harness going to the tailgate. As for lights, I planned to use LED fish eye lights light the ones used on the ROAM steps, but the ones I have are brighter.
Okay Joe....sounds like you may want to tap into something else that energizes in sync with the dome light I mentioned, ideally with wires that may make they're way as far back into the rig as possible. Still more, it sounds like, given the LED lights you intend to use, given this light source's known use of little current for the lumens it delivers, that you can tap your desired source for both current and synchronization and won't need a relay.

Let us know how you made out.

Yeah, running wire up the Sports Bar may be less than ideal, but in my case something I thought the best way to integrate the rear camera of my dual dash cam into this system.

Good luck.
Sponsored