Rear Camera Not Working - Blue Screen

ale70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Good morning everyone!

I have had this problem for the past 5 days. I have read EVERYTHING possible here and on other forums, but without any success. Therefore I am reaching out for some help....

After installing the Teraflex Alpha tire carrier my backup camera screen is blue. It doesn't work anymore and it says "Camera Not Available"....I don't know if in the install process I have pulled some wire, but I checked all the connections are okay.

Also, I am not sure if taking the Jeep to the dealer would work, since I messed with it by installing the tire carrier. I have tried to disconnect the battery (only main battery, right?) for 5 minutes and reconnect. Still blue and not working....

My main point is: should I order a new camera? what if it's not the camera but the harness or software problem?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!!!
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately youā€™ll probably have to pay for the service due to the mod but Iā€™d just go to the dealer.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Good morning everyone!

I have had this problem for the past 5 days. I have read EVERYTHING possible here and on other forums, but without any success. Therefore I am reaching out for some help....

After installing the Teraflex Alpha tire carrier my backup camera screen is blue. It doesn't work anymore and it says "Camera Not Available"....I don't know if in the install process I have pulled some wire, but I checked all the connections are okay.

Also, I am not sure if taking the Jeep to the dealer would work, since I messed with it by installing the tire carrier. I have tried to disconnect the battery (only main battery, right?) for 5 minutes and reconnect. Still blue and not working....

My main point is: should I order a new camera? what if it's not the camera but the harness or software problem?

Thank you in advance!!!
When you disconnect the battery, you also need to separate the negative cables, to get it completely disconnected. If you just take cables off of top battery, youā€™ll still have power. If you didnā€™t disconnect this way, Iā€™d give this another shot.

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My screen is all black instead of blue and says ā€œcamera system unavailableā€. I also installed the alpha tire carrier but I know the outer layer of the camera cable snapped open when I was installing the tire carrier. I used a voltmeter and was getting 10.2V-10.3V steadily across the wire so I ordered a new camera. I installed the camera last night and still the same scenario. Now I ordered the replacement wire and hoping that fixes my issue. That wire and the camera are the only two variables aside from the software with the uconnect. If you need the part numbers for the replacement parts I can find them for you.

OP
OP
ale70

ale70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you all for your replies! Were we in a different situation (virus-wise) I would have gone to the dealer already, but I guess being in the worst hotspot in the Country right now, I have to wait. I might try to disconnect both batteries for an hour and see what happens, although since it happened right after the tire carrier install, I have few hopes....

It's funny how now being used to rear cameras for years, I end up parking 10 feet away from my other car just using the mirrors.....

Sponsored

OP
OP
ale70

ale70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. I just discoonected the hegative from the battery. Then I separated the two negatives. Disconnected the positive. Jeep was dead. Waited 7 minutes. Backup cam still blue and message Not Available. Thanks for your help but after the Virus is gone I gotta go to the dealership.....

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. I just discoonected the hegative from the battery. Then I separated the two negatives. Disconnected the positive. Jeep was dead. Waited 7 minutes. Backup cam still blue and message Not Available. Thanks for your help but after the Virus is gone I gotta go to the dealership.....
Yeah.... itā€™s now above my pay grade....:)

OP
OP
ale70

ale70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
:)

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My screen is all black instead of blue and says ā€œcamera system unavailableā€. I also installed the alpha tire carrier but I know the outer layer of the camera cable snapped open when I was installing the tire carrier. I used a voltmeter and was getting 10.2V-10.3V steadily across the wire so I ordered a new camera. I installed the camera last night and still the same scenario. Now I ordered the replacement wire and hoping that fixes my issue. That wire and the camera are the only two variables aside from the software with the uconnect. If you need the part numbers for the replacement parts I can find them for you.
Good morning everyone!

Thank you in advance!!!

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to assist you.

Alison
JeepCares

Sponsored

OP
OP
ale70

ale70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to assist you.

Alison
JeepCares
thank you Alison!

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Dadgummit

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited -- 1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible
When I installed my rear carrier I just disconnected the battery neg terminal and it worked perfectly once complete. If it says "Camera Not Available" it is obviously looking for it and not finding it; that means a bad camera or the circuit is interrupted somewhere. I would trace the wires from the camera, through the tailgate into the main cabin. I would check all connections that you unplugged in the install to make sure one or more of those little pins did not get bent while reconnecting (They are made of very thin metal and this can happen easily. Then check all other connectors that you did not touch just to make sure they did not get pulled loose. They can be slightly out of alignment and that alone can interrupt the circuit. Also if you spliced into the wires to modify the 3rd brake light check to make sure one of the camera wires did not get nicked or cut. The camera and 3rd brake light wires are in the same harness.

If all of the wires are intact, personally, I would buy a replacement camera and install it rather than going to the stealership. They will blame the mod which is ridiculous since (install-wise) it is as simple as a lightbulb. As long as the wires are correct and the camera is good it will work, the only thing the mod could possibly effect is the aiming of the camera.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
ale70

ale70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! I appreciate all your help and will check wires again.

W4YLON

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2dr 2018
Hi there, were you able to fix the issue with the replacement wire? I am getting the exact same issue after installing my tire carrier, black screen, camera system unavailable. A new camera did not work. Also do you know the part number for the replacement wire?
Sponsored