Sponsored

Rear camera locking cover for the spare.

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
Hello everyone. Tonight I had to go to Denver, which is about 2 to 2 1/2 hours away from where I live. I was in stop and go traffic traveling less than 20 mph when a semi truck and trailer was slightly ahead of me and in the next lane over started having metal chunks of who knows what dropping off of it. A moment later I notice my rear, drivers side tires tpms goes off and I can literally watch the psiā€™s drop about 1 psi every 3 to 4 seconds. I pull over and sure enough, there is a huge chunk of metal in the tire. My 2021 JLUR only has 3,700 miles on it too. Needless to say, I was freaking pissed!

When I was changing the flat, I went to turn the locking rear camera cover to the unlock position and the small center piece where the torqs bit goes into fell off. After changing the tire I could not get it to go back on and stay. Is that piece broken or am I doing something wrong? This is my very first Jeep that I have ever owned so I am unfamiliar with how that specific piece functions

Thank you all in advance for any help that you can possibly give on the subject!
Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Do you have any pictures of what exactly 'fell off'? Also don't worry about that cover, because it is serving no real function other than making an extra step for someone to take off lug nuts.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I started having a similar issue with mine a while back. I just left it off, I figure if somebody is going to steal my spare that plastic sleeve isn't going to slow them down. They'd just break it and the camera removing it with a tire iron and costing me more in the long run.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I started having a similar issue with mine a while back. I just left it off, I figure if somebody is going to steal my spare that plastic sleeve isn't going to slow them down. They'd just break it and the camera removing it with a tire iron and costing me more in the long run.
Agreed. Itā€™s also designed in a way that doesnā€™t easily accommodate larger wheel/tire combinations. I still have that part, but Iā€™m running 9ā€ KMC rims and 37ā€ KO2s, so thereā€™s no room to put the cover back on.

For reasons known only to Jeep, the little plastic base of the backup camera is bright pink. I used a black sharpie to make it less obnoxious and left the cover off.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
They are fragile. I had to plastic solder a stopper at the bottom to keep locking pint from falling out.

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
Here are some pics of everything.

The tire with the metal in it. šŸ˜¢
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear camera locking cover for the spare. 6DD01176-8089-42A7-B794-ED72955D1455

All of the camera cover pieces.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear camera locking cover for the spare. 7D72A12A-BA92-47E7-9D96-F98D9D3CEEB6

The plastic in the housing is cracked. I just now noticed this.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear camera locking cover for the spare. 05F1D772-B410-4C26-A0F7-7947B9BBC13F

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
There are at least two different OEM sizes of that camera cover depending on which wheel you have. I would just get rid of it but if you're going to replace it, make sure you get the right one.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
There are at least two different OEM sizes of that camera cover depending on which wheel you have. I would just get rid of it but if you're going to replace it, make sure you get the right one.
Most Mopar part sellers, to include the one I linked to in my earlier post, want your Vin# so they get you the correct part for your JL..

I myself would rather have the cover with a stock rim... I don't care for the look of the camera without it... To each his own.
Sponsored