Rear Bumper Wiring Harness

dbp512

First Name
don quixote
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Sting Grey Rubicon 4xE
I'm swapping my rear bumper, and need to come up with a solution for the license plate lighting. Luckily my jeep doesn't have rear sensors so the only wires in the bumper harness plug are for the license plate light (they match pins 4 and 8 from this wonderful resource). Ideally I'd like to find the matching plug and appropriate pins so I could wire up my own cable, since I want to keep things as reversible as possible.

Alternatively I could pick up a spare harness to cut up, but I'd need to find the part number. Is there any resource we can use to look these up ourselves, or is that the reason why everyone here asks Benny these questions? I was going to reach out to my normal parts supplier to ask, but I don't want to take up their time if I'm going to look for the correct plug on it's own from somewhere else.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone here just knew the answer off the top of their head, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
The odds of you ever putting the factory bumper back on are slim to none amigo.

Hack the factory bumper harness wiring and move on.

If you decide to take the OEM bumper out of the attic and re-install it so that your aftermarket bumper can sit up there, use the harness to persuade you not to do that…..

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I just ran wires to the factory harness, good to go. Bought a light from Amazon. Lasted a out a year and swapped it out. Pretty easy.

OP
OP
dbp512

dbp512

First Name
don quixote
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The odds of you ever putting the factory bumper back on are slim to none amigo.

Hack the factory bumper harness wiring and move on.

If you decide to take the OEM bumper out of the attic and re-install it so that your aftermarket bumper can sit up there, use the harness to persuade you not to do that…..
Nah I spent a grand on bumpers, but they're only for the weekends and holidays. Actually I have a leased 4xe, so I figured it's probably a good idea for me to be able to return it to stock. I'll see how hard it would be to unscrew the bumper and pull the wiring.

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
A grand on bumpers for weekends and holidays on a leased vehicle...... ?

I wonder if a good used jeep would have been a better option. Yep, I would definitely keep all original parts.

Best of luck, enjoy.

jerrygiphy.gif

Sponsored

OP
OP
dbp512

dbp512

First Name
don quixote
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should never, under any circumstance, take me too seriously. I'm only keeping the plastics in case I listen to this forum's average advice and run like hell from my jeep as soon as the lease is over. I figured if I return it to stock they might think it was a mall crawler.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

I wonder if a good used jeep would have been a better option. Yep, I would definitely keep all original parts.

Best of luck, enjoy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Bumper Wiring Harness jerrygiphy
Definitely interesting to lease a 4XE when could buy one with huge fed/state discounts. Especially if you’re planning to mod it.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Nah I spent a grand on bumpers, but they're only for the weekends and holidays. Actually I have a leased 4xe, so I figured it's probably a good idea for me to be able to return it to stock. I'll see how hard it would be to unscrew the bumper and pull the wiring.
Butt connectors work exceptionally well on a lease return….. Heh heh

OP
OP
dbp512

dbp512

First Name
don quixote
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely interesting to lease a 4XE when could buy one with huge fed/state discounts. Especially if you’re planning to mod it.
I'm not too savvy on all that, but I picked mine up last July when the lease incentives were greater than anything you could get on a purchase. That, plus it's a '23 I picked up right when the dealership was waiting on delivery of the new models, so they worked really hard to get rid of a rubicon.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I recently bought a used rear bumper to replace my damaged original and the connector in the body was the same as the one on the bumper. I guess someone screwed up in the factory.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Bumper Wiring Harness 1714269476733-hm

So, I got some DIY Weatherpak connectors and made it myself. You could do the same, and then add one to your OEM bumper if you need to reinstall it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Bumper Wiring Harness 1714269371519-de

OP
OP
dbp512

dbp512

First Name
don quixote
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Woah there, mr fancypants. You mean the Jeep approach isn't to just shove the wires into the plug?
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Bumper Wiring Harness A proper wiring harness

Well, at least I used some spare shrink wrap--heat shrink you fool, it's called heat shrink tubing.
Sponsored

Last edited: