Rear breaks need replaced for the second time at 2500 miles

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I was wondering about this too. If the front brakes have been fine, then there’s definitely something up with the frt/rear bias. The front brakes should be doing the vast majority of the work outside of an abs / traction control scenario.
I believe under normal braking that the brake system is designed to bias towards the rear, which reduces the front from nose diving while braking. So it's normal for the rear to wear faster than the front. But something else is clearly going on here beyond that.
Sponsored

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I hate to be THAT guy....but you don't happen to drive with two feet do you?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
As stated the parking brake is DIH (drum in hat) so it won't cause the primary pads to wear.

If both sides are wearing evenly I'd consider replacing the center hose to rear axle - on older vehicles these will collapse internally and cause the brakes to drag.

But first I'd get it in the air and see if the brakes appear to be dragging when spun by hand. To go through 2 sets of pads in 2500mi is EXTREME

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I believe under normal braking that the brake system is designed to bias towards the rear, which reduces the front from nose diving while braking. So it's normal for the rear to wear faster than the front. But something else is clearly going on here beyond that.
I'd be VERY surprised if this were true. It'd play hell in slick road conditions. Historically vehicles have ALWAYS biased to the front, which is what prop (proportioning) valves were always about, and one reason the front brakes are always larger than the rear.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Braking systems are biased to the front brakes, about a 70-30 bias. Otherwise, when under very hard braking (or ABS failure) the rear of the vehicle would VERY QUICKLY come around on you. The reason why this would happen is a sliding tire is faster than a rolling tire. Without ABS, if you lock the front wheels, the car will continue to go straight (or the direction the tires were pointed at brake lock). This is a much safer brake design than having a rear brake bias and causing the rear end to spin out.

I agree with the others, definitely something wrong with your rear braking system, and it's not the separate parking brake system. Rear brakes should typically last through two front brake changes. My 2018 is at 27k miles and still has plenty of pad life on front and rear.

Sponsored

OP
OP

colt45

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Thanks for all the responses! For the one person that asked if I drive with two feet... NO! Lol. Now last time when I did the breaks everything seemed like it was wearing evenly. I did do the front too because those pads had about 1/3 -1/4 life left. I replaced those with car quest pads and the rear OEM because that was all I could find, and at $244 a set... Not again... I also did the rear rotors, and the parking shoes looked fine. Now when I turned the rear rotors they turned fine and I the gas mileage has seemed normal at about 19mpg mostly city driving. As far as mods all it has is a bumper, winch, sway bar quick disconnects, and a 2 1/2 in spacer kit. Now one thing that was very odd to me as well was the squealers on the pads only gave me like a few days before I was grinding the breaks. (Both times it was like this) I guess at this point I think its going to the dealer.

OP
OP

colt45

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
My wife will occasionally drive it off road but I'm always with her

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
That’s an absolutely insane amount of wear for a few hundred miles. There is something majorly wrong with your brake system.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
If you are driving in the sand, turn off your traction control. Your rear brakes could be applying themselves hundreds of times a minute trying to transfer power to the wheel with traction and you may never notice it.

I would also put it the rear axle up on Jack stands and let the vehicle idle and spin the wheels, listen for it dragging brakes, check to see if the wheels spin freely. Pull the tires off let the vehicle spin the axles and have some apply the brakes. Watch to see if the calipers are working correctly.

A trip to the dealer for some warranty work may be in order.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
So rear breaks are completely gone for the second time and Im at about 2500 miles. (Like metal on metal) :crying: This is my first dip into the 4x4 world (coming from the VW world) and it doesn't seem to be going very good. So I have a 2020 JLU Sport with the 2.0t and I take it out just about every weekend just cruising in sand and going threw some mud holes. Now I know that the sand has got to be eating the breaks up, but i find it a bit odd that its the rear going out first every time. I did replace ALL breaks with OEM pads and rotors at about 1200 miles and same issue again. I do try and rinse my wheels and breaks out well after to try and reduce wear but it doesn't seem to be working. I even tried to make sure that I put extra time rinsing the breaks every time since 1200 miles and well another 1200 miles and we are at the same spot. So my question is do y'all think that this is a break issue or just the sand eating the crap out of my breaks, and if it is the sand what pads and rotors do you think I should go with?

Why did you not have the dealership look into the "Brake" issue, the first time this happened?? To me, that would just fall under common sense. Then, to have it happen again, and not have a dealership diagnose, and work on the issue??? Come on guy. But, it's your time and money. If you keep taking your expensive Jeep into shops, and bypassing the warranty work at the dealership, you will be owning all "Brake" related problems, in the future.

BTW, the only times I have ever heard of "Brakes" wearing out this fast, was:
1. Scared drivers riding with the left foot on the "Brake" pedal, all the time.
2. Bad Master Cylinder.

Sponsored

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
I'd almost have to assume them wearing out that fast is that the rear brakes are constantly in contact with the discs, I can't imagine any other thing causing such fast wear.
Front brakes should last what 40-50k miles? and rear brakes likely a little longer. 2500 miles and twice is almost constant wearing, what else could it be?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We’re seeing 70-80% brake life at 30k miles. Something is certainly going on for your extremely accelerated wear.

brett

OP
OP

colt45

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
The first image was the front the last time and if you look you can see dirt and crap all in there and the second image is the rear brakes. Those pictures were taken at 1200 miles

IMG_2362D.JPG

IMG_2364D.JPG
Sponsored