Rear breaks need replaced for the second time at 2500 miles

colt45

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
So rear breaks are completely gone for the second time and Im at about 2500 miles. (Like metal on metal) :crying: This is my first dip into the 4x4 world (coming from the VW world) and it doesn't seem to be going very good. So I have a 2020 JLU Sport with the 2.0t and I take it out just about every weekend just cruising in sand and going threw some mud holes. Now I know that the sand has got to be eating the breaks up, but i find it a bit odd that its the rear going out first every time. I did replace ALL breaks with OEM pads and rotors at about 1200 miles and same issue again. I do try and rinse my wheels and breaks out well after to try and reduce wear but it doesn't seem to be working. I even tried to make sure that I put extra time rinsing the breaks every time since 1200 miles and well another 1200 miles and we are at the same spot. So my question is do y'all think that this is a break issue or just the sand eating the crap out of my breaks, and if it is the sand what pads and rotors do you think I should go with?
Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
So rear breaks are completely gone for the second time and Im at about 2500 miles. (Like metal on metal) :crying: This is my first dip into the 4x4 world (coming from the VW world) and it doesn't seem to be going very good. So I have a 2020 JLU Sport with the 2.0t and I take it out just about every weekend just cruising in sand and going threw some mud holes. Now I know that the sand has got to be eating the breaks up, but i find it a bit odd that its the rear going out first every time. I did replace ALL breaks with OEM pads and rotors at about 1200 miles and same issue again. I do try and rinse my wheels and breaks out well after to try and reduce wear but it doesn't seem to be working. I even tried to make sure that I put extra time rinsing the breaks every time since 1200 miles and well another 1200 miles and we are at the same spot. So my question is do y'all think that this is a break issue or just the sand eating the crap out of my breaks, and if it is the sand what pads and rotors do you think I should go with?
Some questions:

1. How Fast do you go on the Sand?

2. What mode is the transfer case when you are on the sand?

3. What is your PSI per tire when wheeling on the sand?

4. Any mods to the Jeep? Brakes seem to be OEM but what about others?

OP
OP

colt45

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Some questions:

1. How Fast do you go on the Sand?

2. What mode is the transfer case when you are on the sand?

3. What is your PSI per tire when wheeling on the sand?

1. I'd say average 10mph
2. Usually our sand is hard enough to stay in 2H but occasionally 4H if it softens up
3. 25psi (stock A/T's on 17"s)

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Sounds like it could be the BLD (Brake Loc Differential) working extra hard in the sand. The sand itself probably doesn't help. I know that the rear rotors on the sport aren't particularly large either so there's not really anywhere for the heat to go.

Can you smell or notice hot brakes when you are running in the sand?

OP
OP

colt45

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Sounds like it could be the BLD (Brake Loc Differential) working extra hard in the sand. The sand itself probably doesn't help. I know that the rear rotors on the sport aren't particularly large either so there's not really anywhere for the heat to go.

Can you smell or notice hot brakes when you are running in the sand?
I don't notice any break smell at all. Now it does have the LSD in the rear so IDK if that changes that BLD

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
I don't notice any break smell at all. Now it does have the LSD in the rear so IDK if that changes that BLD
Try airing down even further to 15 PSI. See if that helps. For sand, FCA recommends 15 to 18 PSI. Your tire wont come off the Bead till below 10 PSI so don’t worry about that.

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm... that's odd. If anything the LSD should be helping out so the BLD shouldn't be working as hard. Wouldn't think that an improperly adjusted e-brake would cause extreme wear on the main pads like that but it would definitely add heat.

Something doesn't seem right because I have about 20k miles on my stock rear brakes at this point. I do have the 6-speed but also larger tires so I'd figure that's a wash.

OP
OP

colt45

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Try airing down even further to 15 PSI. See if that helps. For sand, FCA recommends 15 to 18 PSI. Your tire wont come off the Bead till below 10 PSI so don’t worry about that.
Punjabi New Yorke: I used to go to 15psi but I started getting sand in the beads so now I have a slow leak in 3 of the tires. I also forgot to mention that when I am in 2H in the sand I do shut off traction control

fdFifty: I don't think that its the e-break because actually it feels like the hand break might need tightened.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
fdFifty: I don't think that its the e-break because actually it feels like the hand break might need tightened.
A lose feeling EBrake is suspect to me. It might mean the ebrake is not fully releasing at the axle mechanism...leaving the ebrake partially engaged. Lift rear (both wheels off the ground) and see if you can easily turn the rear wheels while in neutral.

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I’m pretty sure the E brake is actually a small drum brake inside the rotor. Cars don’t use the dink caliper to engage the E break. It’s not the sand because I’ve driven in Sand for many years and never had the problem you’re having. Sand buggies, ATVs, and RZR’s go on the sand all the time and don’t have A problem with the brakes wear out fast. Got to be something mechanical wrong with your vehicle to go through brake pads that fast. ABS module is the only thing I can think of?

Sponsored

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m pretty sure the E brake is actually a small drum brake inside the rotor. Cars don’t use the dink caliper to engage the E break. It’s not the sand because I’ve driven in Sand for many years and never had the problem you’re having. Sand buggies, ATVs, and RZR’s go on the sand all the time and don’t have A problem with the brakes wear out fast. Got to be something mechanical wrong with your vehicle to go through brake pads that fast. ABS module is the only thing I can think of?
I was wondering about this too. If the front brakes have been fine, then there’s definitely something up with the frt/rear bias. The front brakes should be doing the vast majority of the work outside of an abs / traction control scenario.

I still think that drum assembly could get the system nice and hot If it’s not working correctly. I know that mine will hang up sometimes and make the lever feel really loose but you can usually feel the tension come back after you give it a second to fully disengage.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Even with BLD it shouldn't be killing the brakes that quickly. Is the brake wear even on both sides? What about on the rotor itself, is the pad wear even between the inside and the outside? Either way I'd take it to the dealer. Sounds like something is wrong and that's what warranties are for. They should NOT wear out anywhere near that fast.
Sponsored