Rear Bars with Tow Hitch

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Are the US imported rear bars rated for towing in Australia? Stock rear bar look like it won't last long on the tracks so looking at replacement and I need a tow hitch to tow my 1.4t trailer.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gear_AU

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Rear bar? You mean rear bumper? Or Rear axle?
Rear bar/bumper, it's an Australian thing I think that our tow hitches need to be rated to a ADR. So I was wondering if any Aussie's are using a US built bar/bumper.

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Rear bar/bumper, it's an Australian thing I think that our tow hitches need to be rated to a ADR. So I was wondering if any Aussie's are using a US built bar/bumper.
The tow bar/hitch fixes to the rear cross member. It is independent of the rear bumper bar which is plastic and minimal protection at best.
I am using the Hayman Reese tow bar/hitch which is rated at vehicle maximum of 2495 kgs. It does not require the replacement of the bumper bar. Only it's removal and re-installation as part of the hitch fitting process. The only thing you need to do to the rear bumper bar, is trim the bottom section to allow access to the tow hitch. A number plate hinge bracket is then used so the plate can be hinged out of the way when the tow hitch is fitted.
I am about to fit the ARB rear bar to beef up the rear end options. It will give me better rear end clearance, plus off road rated recovery points and high lift jack points.

Sponsored

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Joey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 grand cherokee
If it has a integrated tow hitch receiver it needs to be ADR complaint for it to be legal in Australia. Without it insurance will not cover you if there is an accident. Funny thou without the hitch receiver it doesn't have to be ADR approved.

muxi

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Rubi D, what harness did you use for the electrical connections for Hayman Reese tow bar/hitch ?

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi D, what harness did you use for the electrical connections for Hayman Reese tow bar/hitch ?
The Hayman Reese kit comes with hitch, tongue, ball, plug n' play harness and flip up license plate holder. The included harness connects into the vehicle connectors at each tail light and provides the connection point for what ever trailer configuration you wish to use. In my installation this connected to the additional ECU (This is not the 7 pin trailer connection).
To the Kit, I added the ECU (used to power trailer lights when the vehicle has an LED system) and a 1.2m tail harness for the 7 pin connection to trailer.

See page 3 of
'Trailer hitch and wiring harness?'
Sponsored