Rear Axle Replacement 42k Miles

Kevin32199

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 Door
18 JL Sport S 2-door, manual trans. Dana 44/M220 with limited slip option. 42k miles. No mods except 2020 Gladiator Rub stock wheels and Wild Peak tires. Im pretty easy on it and dont abuse it. Mostly a mall crawler in flat Florida and its my daily driver. Started out as a clunk only on takeoff from a stop at about 20k miles. Dealer couldnt find the issue. As it worsened, dealer replaced the rear track bar due to bad bushings at about 30k miles. Noise continued intermittently, but was improved some. Noise matured into a grind/ clank, still only at take-off, but now most of the time--current 42k miles. Dealer had 2 mechanics and the service manager drive it. Dipped a magnet into oil fill hole of rear diff, came out with metal shavings. I wish I knew what the issue is exactly. New rear axle coming from MI, old one to be shipped back, still assembled. They aren't going to take it apart. There was never a noise driving at any speed, only at take-off. I know there's probably any number of things that can go wrong with a rear axle, but just wanted to add this to the forum for the record in case anyone else is having a similar issue.
Sponsored

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
18 JL Sport S 2-door, manual trans. Dana 44/M220 with limited slip option. 42k miles. No mods except 2020 Gladiator Rub stock wheels and Wild Peak tires. Im pretty easy on it and dont abuse it. Mostly a mall crawler in flat Florida and its my daily driver. Started out as a clunk only on takeoff from a stop at about 20k miles. Dealer couldnt find the issue. As it worsened, dealer replaced the rear track bar due to bad bushings at about 30k miles. Noise continued intermittently, but was improved some. Noise matured into a grind/ clank, still only at take-off, but now most of the time--current 42k miles. Dealer had 2 mechanics and the service manager drive it. Dipped a magnet into oil fill hole of rear diff, came out with metal shavings. I wish I knew what the issue is exactly. New rear axle coming from MI, old one to be shipped back, still assembled. They aren't going to take it apart. There was never a noise driving at any speed, only at take-off. I know there's probably any number of things that can go wrong with a rear axle, but just wanted to add this to the forum for the record in case anyone else is having a similar issue.
Do you have a recording of the sound at all? I'm at 57,000, JLUS M/T and have had a similar slight clunk noise at takeoff... but I've had this noise since about 3,000 miles, and it is hit or miss, never affects the driving characteristics. I chalked it up to just being "one of those things, no need to worry" since it hasn't really changed in characteristics since it began.

Curious to see what they say. Im going to change my differential fluid here in the next few weeks, so ill report back if I find any unusual pieces of metal or anything. The first time I changed the differential fluid front and rear I didn't see anything other than normal small amount of fine metallic particles on the magnets.

Keep us posted!!

OP
OP
Kevin32199

Kevin32199

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 Door
Do you have a recording of the sound at all? I'm at 57,000, JLUS M/T and have had a similar slight clunk noise at takeoff... but I've had this noise since about 3,000 miles, and it is hit or miss, never affects the driving characteristics. I chalked it up to just being "one of those things, no need to worry" since it hasn't really changed in characteristics since it began.

Curious to see what they say. Im going to change my differential fluid here in the next few weeks, so ill report back if I find any unusual pieces of metal or anything. The first time I changed the differential fluid front and rear I didn't see anything other than normal small amount of fine metallic particles on the magnets.

Keep us posted!!
Ill post further if theres more than just a clean and appropriate axle replacement. Frankly, I get the impression that removing the rear cover and possibly the differential carrier for inspection, which might take an hour, could have prevented waiting tens of thousands of miles to "see what happens". Kicking the can down the road further towards warranty expiration could have resulted in malfunction and a serious accident. Just removing the cover alone may have revealed an issue. Certainly in your case at nearly 60k miles if theres an issue there will be some sort of wear pattern someplace by now. I would urge the dealer to do more than just look at the oil. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
Kevin32199

Kevin32199

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 Door
Also, no recording.

Sponsored

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
WOW!!! You made it 42k miles on your stock axles?! I made it 9k kms before problems started. Hoping to get it back soon. Been without it for 2 weeks now

OP
OP
Kevin32199

Kevin32199

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 Door
Update: Picked up my 18 JL Wrangler after Dana 44 axle replacement by dealer, under factory powertrain warranty. Drives very smooth and backlash is tight like it should be. However, upon transfer of parts, the mechanic saw fit to beat the wearing surfaces of my rear brake rotors with a ball pein or sledge hammer. What else they screwed up idk. This axle is the gift that keeps on giving. Not very impressed so far. Loving my JL aint easy lately. I demanded replacement of both rear rotors and pads and a thorough inspection by someone who knows what they are doing. Sad things have come to this.

PXL_20210403_155910055.jpg

PFab

First Name
Peggy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I have a 2018 Sport that when I back up there is a loud knock and the radio goes out and has to be reset. I was told there is nothing diagnostically wrong.. So why is it still occurring? A friend had a wrangler with the same issue and the whole rear end and differential had to be changed. He had to take it to an independent as the Chrysler dealer could not figure it out. HIs was under warranty so is mine, hoping for a positive outcome when it goes in on Monday for the 4th time.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
for what it's worth:

in general, limited slip differentials get the gear lube very dirty during break-in, maybe 5k to 10k miles. 10k is the best time to get the lube changed if you want to keep them forever.

after the first 10k miles, the gear lube will stay clear (unless you are going swampin' in mud holes all the time).

not sure why manufacturer change interval is "inspect" at 20k. this would be more applicable to non-limited slip

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Did my rear at 5K and the oil was very black. I may do it again at 10 to be sure. No metal though.

G.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kevin32199

Kevin32199

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 Door
for what it's worth:

in general, limited slip differentials get the gear lube very dirty during break-in, maybe 5k to 10k miles. 10k is the best time to get the lube changed if you want to keep them forever.

after the first 10k miles, the gear lube will stay clear (unless you are going swampin' in mud holes all the time).

not sure why manufacturer change interval is "inspect" at 20k. this would be more applicable to non-limited slip
Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on the oil.

OP
OP
Kevin32199

Kevin32199

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 Door
Update: Picked up my 18 JL Wrangler after Dana 44 axle replacement by dealer, under factory powertrain warranty. Drives very smooth and backlash is tight like it should be. However, upon transfer of parts, the mechanic saw fit to beat the wearing surfaces of my rear brake rotors with a ball pein or sledge hammer. What else they screwed up idk. This axle is the gift that keeps on giving. Not very impressed so far. Loving my JL aint easy lately. I demanded replacement of both rear rotors and pads and a thorough inspection by someone who knows what they are doing. Sad things have come to this.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Axle Replacement 42k Miles PXL_20210403_155910055
After a lot of arguing, finally got the dealer to replace both hammer-beaten dented up rear brake rotors and pads. Then, had to return the next day due to terrible squeaking at right rear that turned out to be the brake pad clips on backwards. My Jeep has been fine since then. I had more than one person tell me that my Jeep would never be right again after the dealer performed this axle replacement, and I was beginning to think they were all correct. What happened to quality service by trained techs? They dont seem to be able to tackle even the most mundane simple repair. In my day we would have rebuilt this rear axle with new ring, pinion, diff, bearings, etc. Now they dont even know how to do a brake job. That's a little disappointing. It makes me look forward to the warranty being over.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I'm hoping that my stock gears last till the end of the warranty, then I'll have mine regeared professionally. :) It is unfortunate that the stealership cannot do a decent brake job. I only go to the dealership for warranty repairs, and handle the rest myself for the most part.

OP
OP
Kevin32199

Kevin32199

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 Door
The last chapter (hopefully) of the dealer's axle replacement: I was under the rear of my Wrangler surveying the suspension for a 2.5" lift I'm considering, when I noticed the rear track bar was installed upside down, with the relief bend for the exhaust firmly against the pipe. I called the dealer and was asked by the service manager to bring it right away if possible. The service manager raised it on their drive-on hoist and assessed it along with 2 technicians. At first they thought I had backed into something that bent the exhaust against the track bar, but dispelled that theory. I compared the track bar arrangement to another Wrangler and reported to them that the bar was definitely installed upside down. They finally agreed. I waited about 30 minutes for them to correct the track bar installation. Upon checking out, I noted the paperwork read that the bar was upside down, bit there was no recall for this situation yet. While driving away, I noted that the Jeep has never driven so smoothly since I bought it new. I am wondering now if the trainee technician put the bar back on the way it came off, not paying attention to the obvious relief bent in the track bar to clear the exhaust. I am also wondering if with all the noise complaints out there, if anyone reading this who has rear axle noise issues will check and report back if their track bar is correctly installed or not. You know you want to...you will. LOL.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This could be unrelated, but there was discussion about the vent tube cap not releasing pressure on these axles. I checked mine brand spanking new off the delivery truck and sure enough, I could pull that vent cap off the end of the tube and try to blow or suck air through it with NO luck.

It seems that the axle vent cap they use is stuffed full of cotton pads, then sealed with a membrane, then capped with a plastic cap. There is NO way for the axle to breathe properly like this. Obviously Jeep did this to prevent water from getting in during a river crossing, but if air can't move in/out of the cap then it's worthless!

I took some of the cotton pads out of mine until I could blow air through it, then reinstalled. Hopefully this will prevent the axle seal issue guys have seen, and it may even prolong the general life of the axle. We'll see!
Sponsored