First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
I just had my rear axle replaced for this (16k miles). It didn't take the dealership long to confirm the problem with Jeep. The axle only took 2-3 weeks to come in and I drove the Jeep in the meantime. The appt to install had to be delayed a couple weeks due to a COVID outbreak at the dealership. But it's in now and hopefully doesn't fail again soon.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I just had my rear axle replaced for this (16k miles). It didn't take the dealership long to confirm the problem with Jeep. The axle only took 2-3 weeks to come in and I drove the Jeep in the meantime. The appt to install had to be delayed a couple weeks due to a COVID outbreak at the dealership. But it's in now and hopefully doesn't fail again soon.
You should really pot the sensor since it is new.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
Ive thought about potting mine since my JLUR is new but I could also mess them up as well so I plan on right now just doing https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_lkr_oem/ if they fail. It makes no sense that you have to replace the entire axle assembly for this sensor. I wish I could get new sensors and pot them then test them and install just in case I messed one up

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What's the difference in doing that when its new vs. when its failed? Does it only work if the sensor is working?
Yes, you need to pot the sensor while it is still working.
Regardless of whether it is new or not you want to pot the sensor before it fails. Obviously if it's new there is a higher chance no gear oil has entered the sensor, so potting it when it's new is the best case scenario. Once the sensor fails it's typically shot, I got lucky and was able to clean my sensor out and put it back together and it worked.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ive thought about potting mine since my JLUR is new but I could also mess them up as well so I plan on right now just doing https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_lkr_oem/ if they fail. It makes no sense that you have to replace the entire axle assembly for this sensor. I wish I could get new sensors and pot them then test them and install just in case I messed one up
The potting procedure is pretty straight forward and @chevymitchell has an excellent write up on how to do it. But I get where you are coming from and the Z harness is an easy fix.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki

wranglermex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon
Just dropped my JLR at the dealership. They said they would give me an update in a couple of days. I have a feeling I'm going to be without a car for a while. Did I mention it only has 4,000 miles on it?

A loaner car sure would've been nice @JeepCares....
Well. 24k miles later and it happened again. I’m thinking it’s time to trade it in.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well. 24k miles later and it happened again. I’m thinking it’s time to trade it in.
Yeah and it's going to keep happening until they solve the sensor issue. Replacing the axle is the dumbest solution for this problem. Literally the only thing dumber would be to replace the Jeep when the sensor fails. It's a $30 sensor that is failing but FCA (for whatever reason) is taking the long stupid route to fix these. If you enjoy your Jeep enough, simply fix it yourself with the Z Harness or have them replace the axle and then pot the sensor. If it's just another vehicle to you then I do understand the desire to get rid of it.
For me it is more of a hobby, therapy and lifestyle off roading so I'm willing to deal with the BS and take the problem into my own hands. If you want to go that route you can PM and I can give you some pointers.

Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I hate to say this, but has anybody thought of a class action lawsuit about it? Besides the z-automotive harness, there's just the axle replacement. Maybe that would get Jeep to realize this is an issue and they need to start selling the sensor by itself or redesign it.

wranglermex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon
It will happen with the new Rubicon as well. No point in trading.
Yeah—I meant trade it in for something else. New cars shouldn’t be this unreliable. The fact that FCA hasn’t cared to figure it out in 2+ years doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies about what’s going to happen when my factory warranty is over. I love my Jeep and bought it because I wanted one ever since I was a teenager. But this shit just doesn’t happen with other manufacturers.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Yeah—I meant trade it in for something else. New cars shouldn’t be this unreliable. The fact that FCA hasn’t cared to figure it out in 2+ years doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies about what’s going to happen when my factory warranty is over. I love my Jeep and bought it because I wanted one ever since I was a teenager. But this shit just doesn’t happen with other manufacturers.
Yeah this is a crazy stupid solution FCA is doing to fix this issue! It’s now going on 5 model years for 2022’s coming out have they fixed it for 2022? If owners can POT these sensors and make it work then WHY doesn’t FCA have DANA do this to the sensors before shipping them?? Or why doesn’t FCA just buy NEW SENSORS from DANA and just replace the damn sensor for $30???? How stupid is FCA???

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Sometimes companies get complacent when they are at the top of the food chain. Jeeps have had little competition over the years.

I don't know how long this lack of responsiveness to customer concerns has been endemic at the company. It is a serious issue.
Sponsored