First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Are you kidding me??? So you think an axle truss has anything to do with this sensor being faulty?? Do you know what an axle truss is? Heaven forbid I try to strengthen the axle for my 40s! I guess I should have bought an older out of warranty Jeep huh?
For the sensor issue, they are replacing the axle assembly without shafts or parking brake assemblies. You modified this part, they are not going to warranty an axle assembly out if you modified it.

If the sensor was available to be swapped out, they likely wouldn't have an issue with the truss.

It's unfortunate that the sensor isn't available yet. There isn't a dealer out there that is going to swap out a modified part for a non-modified part under warranty.

What was your plan, anyway? Hopefully get a new axle assembly and then just truss that one, too, or were you going to cut the old truss off and move it over?

You can't tell me you're expecting the dealer to just take a trussed axle assembly and send it back for credit without issues.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Are you kidding me??? So you think an axle truss has anything to do with this sensor being faulty?? Do you know what an axle truss is? Heaven forbid I try to strengthen the axle for my 40s! I guess I should have bought an older out of warranty Jeep huh?
You need this: https://jeepdoodles.com/unisex-hoodie/

Lol. It's my favorite one @ThirtyOne makes because it fits this whole sport well.

Then fill this out and file it with your local VFW: http://www.armywriter.com/DoD_FORM_IMT_WF11.pdf

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Well Jeep screwed me out of my new rearend because I have a axle truss welded to it, heaven forbid! The dealership ordered it, I waited for it to come in, then they declined it! Talked to Jeep cares, what a joke! Jeep can kiss my @ss! Not standing behind their products! What a joke! I’ll never buy another Jeep product! Good luck to all of you people that are having the same problem!
You modified a factory part which immediately voided the warranty. Pretty straight forward. Since I was re-geared to 4.88 gears I voided my warranty.
Yeah, the dealer flubbed and should have told you that straight away but they didn't but you can't fault them for not covering you. Look on the bright side... you get to do your research like @chevymitchell and I did and fix it yourself :)
Not trying to be a smart ass but you'll thank me later. Even if you got the axle replaced their is a possibility the sensor in the new axle will fail putting you right back at square one. If you address the sensor issue (like some of us have) you will have fixed the problem for good.
Don't get me wrong, I agree this whole thing is a big fat bucket of BULL$HIT on FCAs part. They should be swapping these sensors out with modified ones regardless of any mods on the Jeep or axles but that ain't happening for the foreseeable future so we gotta deal with it.

Dkramer807

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
That's why people need to understand the repercussions of modifications. When you decided to weld the truss on, you voided the warranty on the axle assembly and all that goes with it. They prob could've also voided it for running 40s. If you care about the axle warranty, dont make permanent modifications like welding on a truss and dont run 40s. Sorry for your situation and best of luck figuring it out.
Like I said before, I guess nobody should ever modify a Jeep then. If the truss caused the problem I would have no problem with what happened. If the 40s did it, I would even understand that, but when it’s a known issue that has nothing to do with either, that is why I’m upset.

Dkramer807

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
For the sensor issue, they are replacing the axle assembly without shafts or parking brake assemblies. You modified this part, they are not going to warranty an axle assembly out if you modified it.

If the sensor was available to be swapped out, they likely wouldn't have an issue with the truss.

It's unfortunate that the sensor isn't available yet. There isn't a dealer out there that is going to swap out a modified part for a non-modified part under warranty.

What was your plan, anyway? Hopefully get a new axle assembly and then just truss that one, too, or were you going to cut the old truss off and move it over?

You can't tell me you're expecting the dealer to just take a trussed axle assembly and send it back for credit without issues.
I get it, I even told them I would buy a new track bar mount and just eat the truss price until they come up with a real fix. Just irritated.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I get it, I even told them I would buy a new track bar mount and just eat the truss price until they come up with a real fix. Just irritated.
Put the locker on a switch or run the Z harness until the sensor is available. You're not at a loss here. You have several solutions that will work outside replacing the whole axle assembly. If you've put money into the truss, then roll with it. It's really not a big deal. You have some work-arounds available to you.

jplusk

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Add me to this list. 2019 JLUR. No mods. Only 6k miles. Hadn’t been off road for a few months either so no 4wd since then. Really random.

Guess I will take it to the dealer soon but not looking forward to this happening again after they swap the entire axle for no reason.

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
I just got bit by this too... Had my rear axel re-geared to 5.13. Pretty sure the sensor went bad when the shop did the work. Looking into ordering the z-harness now. *sigh* really wish the part was available.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just got bit by this too... Had my rear axel re-geared to 5.13. Pretty sure the sensor went bad when the shop did the work. Looking into ordering the z-harness now. *sigh* really wish the part was available.
I highly doubt the shop had anything to do with your sensor failing. Stop talking like a FCA rep :)

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
I highly doubt the shop had anything to do with your sensor failing. Stop talking like a FCA rep :)
lmao well I did drive in there with a working one and the only thing that changed Was working being performed....

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
lmao well I did drive in there with a working one and the only thing that changed Was working being performed....
I get it but that's how it happens. I bought Fat Ninja off of @chevymitchell and called him a few days later and said "Hey you sold me a piece of crap! I want my money back." He told me to go screw myself.
JK, he didn't say that but he did say the lockers weren't flashing at him, it was just a coincidence that they went when I got it.

Could be that since they did have the sensor out and being moved around it sloshed the metal silt laden gear oil around enough to push it to failure.

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
I get it but that's how it happens. I bought Fat Ninja off of @chevymitchell and called him a few days later and said "Hey you sold me a piece of crap! I want my money back." He told me to go screw myself.
JK, he didn't say that but he did say the lockers weren't flashing at him, it was just a coincidence that they went when I got it.

Could be that since they did have the sensor out and being moved around it sloshed the metal silt laden gear oil around enough to push it to failure.
Right that’s totally what I suspect. The fact you practically look at it and fails. Any minute movement or changes adjecent are enough to initiate failure. It sure would be nice that Jeep would acknowledge this via a TSB and solve in a simple and timely manner but I know that’s too much to ask as we saw how they handled the steering box and how long that took... I’ll digress on my soapbox, move foward with the Tazer fix and hope that will resolve my issue until a reasonable fix is available from an OEM perspective for those of us that decided to regear and lose warranty support and do not feeling like buying a whole new axel to solve something that’s bound to potentially fail again at any moment.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Right that’s totally what I suspect. The fact you practically look at it and fails. Any minute movement or changes adjecent are enough to initiate failure. It sure would be nice that Jeep would acknowledge this via a TSB and solve in a simple and timely manner but I know that’s too much to ask as we saw how they handled the steering box and how long that took... I’ll digress on my soapbox, move foward with the Tazer fix and hope that will resolve my issue until a reasonable fix is available from an OEM perspective for those of us that decided to regear and lose warranty support and do not feeling like buying a whole new axel to solve something that’s bound to potentially fail again at any moment.
I think what we are all hoping for would be for the sensor to be built correctly... i.e. gear oil tight and then be readily available to the public.
At this point I am truly dumbfounded this is dragging on with axle replacements. I spoke w a service manager and he just shook his head and said it makes no sense to him either.

fixbroke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
New gears = more heat = thinner oil + air pressure differentials inside the sensor. It makes sense that a re-gear would accelerate the death of a bad sensor seal. It's no excuse for a bad sensor design, but it explains why a sensor is more likely to fail soon after a re-gear.

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
Well, after over a month at the dealership, The new rear end was installed, and I picked it up last Tuesday. Happy to report no locker fault after about 100 miles. Fingers crossed...
well, my sensor/2nd axle lasted 1.5 years. Now I have the flashing rear diff locker light fault again. 36,300 miles. I do have a third-party warranty that goes out to 100k miles, so I guess I could try to look into that. I haven’t looked into the zauto fix or do-it-yourself thread yet. Is there a tsb or anything on this after all this time?
Sponsored