Sponsored

Rear Axle Replace on Rubicon for Flashing Locker Light

BasherXt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Rubicon on order
So as a new to be Jeep owner, reading about this is not very heart warming. Does this seem to be affecting certain year models? Does anyone know if the axels being replaced are with a redesigned axel with a fix or just for the exact same axel to possibly to have the problem come back later on?
Sponsored

Olyclimber

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLUR , 1972 Waggy
Vehicle Showcase
I just started having this same issue. Replacing the axle isnā€™t an option unless Jeep will warranty it.
From what I have heard from my local dealer, this is a common issue with the Rubicon. I myself had the exact same problem. Currently waiting for a replacement actuator. Possible faulty part from the factory.
Were you able to replace your actuator? Did you do this work or have it done? If you did it, do you have a process that can be shared? Did this solve the problem?

Erac78

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport
I just posted in another thread on the same topic (just noticing how many different threads there are on it) that we were just told yesterday that we need a new rear axle on our 2020 JLUR due to the failed sensor, and that they are back ordered until at least the end of December... They told us the obvious in that it's safe to drive with the axel locked, so we're going to go pick it up while we wait, but it's far from ideal to daily drive it that way. If I'd have done more research and found the threads on this issue before we bought ours, I definitely would have not pulled the trigger. I'm still mind blown that they haven't come out with a replacement part that fixes this yet and they just keep putting more of the same axles on both new and "fixed" Rubis. So it's literally just a waiting game for when this will happen again and again. :facepalm:

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I just posted in another thread on the same topic (just noticing how many different threads there are on it) that we were just told yesterday that we need a new rear axle on our 2020 JLUR due to the failed sensor, and that they are back ordered until at least the end of December... They told us the obvious in that it's safe to drive with the axel locked, so we're going to go pick it up while we wait, but it's far from ideal to daily drive it that way. If I'd have done more research and found the threads on this issue before we bought ours, I definitely would have not pulled the trigger. I'm still mind blown that they haven't come out with a replacement part that fixes this yet and they just keep putting more of the same axles on both new and "fixed" Rubis. So it's literally just a waiting game for when this will happen again and again. :facepalm:
Not sure what the weather is like where you live, but I wouldn't drive around with axle locked full time. If the sensor went bad it probably defaults to unlocked, in which case you are 100% fine to drive on the street. A locked diff on the street would be sketchy at best, especially if conditions get slick. In rain or snow in 2wd you'll likely fishtail. You will know if the rear is locked. Just go around a turn. If it's locked the tires are going to squeal an scrape since both axles are locked together and while turning the outside wheel tries to turn faster than the inside but can't. Foot off the gas, slow tight turn. You'll know right away. If you can't tell, it's not locked and you're good.

Don't regret your purchase. Things happen that's what warranties are for. They don't have a part# for the sensor so their only option is to replace the whole assembly. Huge oversight, and manufacturing didn't plan on having to supply axles for something this small. The backorder has more to do with covid than failed sensors.

Another option for you is to purchase the "Z-Locker OEM" from Z Automotive. It's just a small wire harness you plug in right between your axle and the factory harness. It will send signals to the computers so you don't get the service axle messages and restores functionality of your lockers until your dealer can get and axle. It's pricey for what it is ($179), but they are currently the only game in town and they know it.

Erac78

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport
Not sure what the weather is like where you live, but I wouldn't drive around with axle locked full time. If the sensor went bad it probably defaults to unlocked, in which case you are 100% fine to drive on the street. A locked diff on the street would be sketchy at best, especially if conditions get slick. In rain or snow in 2wd you'll likely fishtail. You will know if the rear is locked. Just go around a turn. If it's locked the tires are going to squeal an scrape since both axles are locked together and while turning the outside wheel tries to turn faster than the inside but can't. Foot off the gas, slow tight turn. You'll know right away. If you can't tell, it's not locked and you're good.

Don't regret your purchase. Things happen that's what warranties are for. They don't have a part# for the sensor so their only option is to replace the whole assembly. Huge oversight, and manufacturing didn't plan on having to supply axles for something this small. The backorder has more to do with covid than failed sensors.

Another option for you is to purchase the "Z-Locker OEM" from Z Automotive. It's just a small wire harness you plug in right between your axle and the factory harness. It will send signals to the computers so you don't get the service axle messages and restores functionality of your lockers until your dealer can get and axle. It's pricey for what it is ($179), but they are currently the only game in town and they know it.
Thanks, I definitely appreciate the insight. I've read mixed reviews of the z locker on here with some people saying that it worked perfectly, then others that it worked initially but then stopped, and then others that it didn't do anything. So I'm skeptical to spend the money on it, but may bite the bullet anyway.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi Justin,
We're sorry to hear about this. We would be happy to look to see if there is anything we can do on our end to assist. Please feel free to send our team a private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Well, dropped of the Rubicon to get the new steering box installed. Told the SA about the service rear locker light. So now I'm getting a brand new rear diff to go with my brand new steering box. Dealer is replacing the rear diff, not the whole axle.

Anyone else just get the diff replaced? I asked about the whole axle, but the SA just said only the rear diff.

Last edited:

furrandchalk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Add me to the list. 2019 JLUR, came on at highway speeds on a very long drive. (Dallas to Las Vegas). Disappeared for a few hours but came back. The majority of the time, it was unlocked, contrary to the flashing light. But unlike most of you, mine actually locked twice over the last 2 weeks, and wouldnā€™t disengage at the touch of a button.

Just dropped it off at the Jeep Only dealer here in Vegas and mentioned the forum. They seem better than most dealers, so Iā€™m hoping they donā€™t waste a lot of time in diagnosis, considering Iā€™m only afforded a rental for 1 day. Iā€™m a little worried about the backorder and a bit worried about excessive wear caused by driving on dry pavement at high speeds while locked. It could also be potentially dangerous if it suddenly locked on wet/icy roads in 2wd...

Last edited:

Dkramer807

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Unbelievable!!!!! My rearend came in and they called me back today to tell me they wonā€™t warranty it because of the axle truss being welded on! It was there the whole time they were diagnosing this issue! What a freaking joke Jeep!!

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Unbelievable!!!!! My rearend came in and they called me back today to tell me they wonā€™t warranty it because of the axle truss being welded on! It was there the whole time they were diagnosing this issue! What a freaking joke Jeep!!
Hi Doug,
Please send us a private message. We would be happy to see if there is anything we can do on our end to assist.
Alex
Jeep Cares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Add me to the list. 2019 JLUR, came on at highway speeds on a very long drive. (Dallas to Las Vegas). Disappeared for a few hours but came back. The majority of the time, it was unlocked, contrary to the flashing light. But unlike most of you, mine actually locked twice over the last 2 weeks, and wouldnā€™t disengage at the touch of a button.

Just dropped it off at the Jeep Only dealer here in Vegas and mentioned the forum. They seem better than most dealers, so Iā€™m hoping they donā€™t waste a lot of time in diagnosis, considering Iā€™m only afforded a rental for 1 day. Iā€™m a little worried about the backorder and a bit worried about excessive wear caused by driving on dry pavement at high speeds while locked. It could also be potentially dangerous if it suddenly locked on wet/icy roads in 2wd...
We're sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this. If you need any additional support while working with your dealer, please reach out to us via private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares

DellCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
So as a new to be Jeep owner, reading about this is not very heart warming. Does this seem to be affecting certain year models? Does anyone know if the axels being replaced are with a redesigned axel with a fix or just for the exact same axel to possibly to have the problem come back later on?
I've had mine replaced - TWICE - each time with the same PN. Parts replaced: CH68416518-AA; CH68401895. 2019 Rubicon.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I've had mine replaced - TWICE - each time with the same PN. Parts replaced: CH68416518-AA; CH68401895. 2019 Rubicon.
Did they replace the whole axle or just parts of the rear diff. My dealer is just doing the rear diff and I'm schedule for next week.
Sponsored