wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So, I just got the blinking rear axle light flashing on the dash. When you go to the center screen between the gauges, it shows the rear locker locked, but it is not. I can lock the the rear locker and it works. I hit the unlock button and it flashes. The dash up in the top left corner flashes that the rear is locked and the switch flashes but is not steady....just flashes.

It first happened while headed out of state on Friday to Redbird for badge of honor trails. I drove it 750 miles like that with the light flashing in 2wd. The lockers worked fine.... and I needed them. The locker disengages, but like I said the light flashes.

So I am in the process of cleaning the Jeep up after the trails and will call the dealer this week for an appointment. I wonder if they are going to give me shit because I had the axles re-geared?
Sponsored

Dallasdan1968

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Just dropped my Rubicon for this issue. Tried to explain to the service advisor but he had never heard of this issue... of course I need it to go out of town this week.

DBlink

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2014 Grand Cherokee, 2004 Liberty (RIP), 2014 Tacoma
Happened to my wife and I over the weekend. Highway speeds and the rear locker light comes on. Just flashes when trying to turn it off. Made a Monday morning appointment at my dealer, Southfork Jeep in Pearland, and they had it diagnosed and the rear end parts ordered by noon. The kicker is no ETA on the availability of the part. They assured me I can drive it and even use 4WD while we wait for the parts. Certainly not planning on pushing my luck.

Dallasdan1968

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Good luck! I was told by my service advisor that JEEP will start with the cheapest fix first, which didn’t work on mine ( I told him about this forum...). I drove my Rubicon for 2 weeks from Texas to Iowa and back with it flashing. The dealership ordered the new axel and the Jeep is at the shop (they said it will take a week for parts so I’m driving a no charge loaner in the meantime. We shall see....

Bucaro

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Kia Sportage, MB GLS 550
I just experienced this same issue for the first time yesterday while driving on the highway from Idaho to Colorado (on our way back home to South Texas). It is reassuring to know that I can drive it back home even if the light is on. I’ll take it to the dealer and hopefully the info on this thread will be helpful to them...

Sponsored

DellCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Only in my dreams could I find a dealer that cares to even look at the forum threads, let alone actually take them into consideration. Hope you get everything resolved!

Dkramer807

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Add me to the list, happened a few times in the last month, but went off. Last night it came on again and stays on. Mine has an aftermarket axle truss, they better not say it was the cause. I love my Jeep, but it’s been in the shop too much, I hope Jeep cares!

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 392 Rubicon
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
DOETSCH OFFROAD

There are multiple failures that need addressed:

-Solenoid sensor fills with oil (causes ground faults)
-harness end gets oil in it (causes ground faults)
-internal wiring not fully/properly sheathed and will rub itself raw against the coupler inside the diff (causing ground faults)
-pins pulling loose from harness from overstretching it or poor initial production.

above issues cause the following:

-blinking locker lights
-service locker system message on DIC
-incorrect reading of locker status
-failure of one or both lockers

These issues are more prevalent on vehicles that have been modified/geared. However it can and has happened on low mile stock rigs as well.

Last night I was able to test the Z Locker Harness from ZAutomotive on my Gladiator and 3 other problematic JLs, all of which had varying causes, and different levels of the errors. All have been diagnosed at Jeep service as a vague "ground fault at diff"

My JT had fully failed. I endured all levels of the issue starting with the blinking lights, eventually followed by the svc locker error and finally full locker failure.

All 4 Jeeps immediately responded to the new harness. All lights went off. All lockers worked properly. All locker engaged/disengaged sensors worked properly. Full success.

"-super simple install - mimics the sensor circuit, tells the DTCM that the lockers are locked when they should be, and unlocked when they should be - no risk of damaging the DTCM. Same signaling, same electrically as the sensor it replaces. - system becomes more like the JK as the locker solenoid is on its own, feedback from the sensor is not mimicked but the DTCM can still sense a short or open to the solenoid circuit - same watertight connectors used as OEM. Fully potted and watertight. "

4 Jeeps is a small test sample, but 100% worked. I have scheduled in another 5 locals to perform the fix and will report my findings.

Again, the link to the fix is here... ZAutomotive ZLOCKER

ok...and discuss!!

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
I have the similar error. Lockers show locked all the time. Seems like they can be locked and unlocked by selecting the buttons, but when unlocking the F/R locker light blinks as does the off button.

So given Zautomotive's solution "Z Locker Harness" from ZAutomotive would I need to buy two of these? one for each axle?

Dallasdan1968

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Just dropped my Rubicon for this issue. Tried to explain to the service advisor but he had never heard of this issue... of course I need it to go out of town this week.
Dropped my Jeep off on July 1 and just got it back today July 16. I’ll keep everyone updated as to how it goes from here.

Sponsored

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 392 Rubicon
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
I have the similar error. Lockers show locked all the time. Seems like they can be locked and unlocked by selecting the buttons, but when unlocking the F/R locker light blinks as does the off button.

So given Zautomotive's solution "Z Locker Harness" from ZAutomotive would I need to buy two of these? one for each axle?
Only need one harness from zauto.
The circuit begins at the rear, so this will work for you.

nickharder

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I just dropped off my JLUR yesterday, 7/23 at the dealership. Told them and shared the links to multiple forum threads regarding this issue and just asked them to order a new axle straight away. They are looking it over yesterday and I am waiting to hear back today. Fingers crossed they just order the new one and I'll have it in a couple of months. (I can't believe THAT is a solution.) Keep you all posted the on outcome...

Dallasdan1968

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I just dropped off my JLUR yesterday, 7/23 at the dealership. Told them and shared the links to multiple forum threads regarding this issue and just asked them to order a new axle straight away. They are looking it over yesterday and I am waiting to hear back today. Fingers crossed they just order the new one and I'll have it in a couple of months. (I can't believe THAT is a solution.) Keep you all posted the on outcome...
mine only took about 2 weeks (week for the axel and a week for install). Of course I went through the back and forth on dealing with their diagnosis even though I told them everything up front from this forum.... good luck

Bucaro

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Kia Sportage, MB GLS 550
Same thing here. First time around they told me the light had not come on for them and no codes where found. I told them about this forum and obviously they said they could not act based on that. I went off-roading a week later and, when I needed them, the lockers did not engage. Armed with that, I took it back and told them about it. They opened the differential and found “a lot of metal” in the fluid. They ordered the new one and now my wait starts...

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My JT is at the dealer now for the dash rear locker light. They found fluid in the actuator. Solution: surprise! replace the whole axle!
Sponsored