Sponsored

Rear axle Perpendicular to ground!

autotragic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR 6MT
I’m just wondering what a stock rear axle angle should be?
Measure where the pinion comes out of the front of the differential. That's the number that matters not what the back of the differential is doing.

Then ideally you want to measure the yoke at the back of the transfer case to see what the angle of it is. Once you have those numbers get back to us.

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)
Your rear pinion angle should not be 0 degrees, it should be about 1 -2 degrees less than the angle of your driveshaft to allow for rotation under acceleration. So, if you have a driveshaft angle of 11.4 degrees, and your pinion is rotated up about 9.4 degrees you are roughly on the money.

I'm not getting why you swapped out the rear control arms along with the Mopar 2" kit. The kit comes with longer front lower arms. Your angles (caster/pinion in front, pinion in rear) should be right on the money. What am i missing?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ScotM

ScotM

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willy's JL 2 Door
Your rear pinion angle should not be 0 degrees, it should be about 1 -2 degrees less than the angle of your driveshaft to allow for rotation under acceleration. So, if you have a driveshaft angle of 11.4 degrees, and your pinion is rotated up about 9.4 degrees you are roughly on the money.

I'm not getting why you swapped out the rear control arms along with the Mopar 2" kit. The kit comes with longer front lower arms. Your angles (caster/pinion in front, pinion in rear) should be right on the money. What am i missing?
The front is right on the money for caster snd pinion . I swapped out the rears , that are stock, with better performance parts. I just replicated the sizes of the parts I removed, but since the lift didn’t come anything different for the rest besides longer end links, I assumed the lifting the Jeep with the same fixed rear control arms, would change the angles in the setup. No that I have adjustesble rear control arms, I could bring the geometry back to where it should be. But I’m going to check the pinion angle this afternoon. I appreciate your response 👍

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I did the mopar 2” lift, and was wondering if the rear axle should be perpendicular to the ground , just as the front is. I installed adjustable control arms, but set them at the same length as the stock, and the angle is about 9.4 degrees negative at the rear. My front is about 0.4 negative. Both measurements being off the differential flat spot at parallel to ground. Going to shop to have it aligned, but just wanted input from the jeppers here. Thanks!!
Parallel to the ground.

RicRecon

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0
I think most people are picturing your Jeep lying on its side.
I was picturing the axle straight up in the air perpendicular to the ground and thought “nope, I’m not responding until others do on this one.”

OP
OP
ScotM

ScotM

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Measured the pinion angle at 4.5, so that’s out of spec. Also noticed a ridiculous number of weights welded to the driveshaft. Great manufacturing.

Sponsored

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Pinion angle is 4.5 compared to what, the ground?
If you get the pinion at -2 from whatever the driveshaft is, then you should be good to go, as was mentioned earlier.

OP
OP
ScotM

ScotM

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinion angle is 4.5 compared to what, the ground?
If you get the pinion at -2 from whatever the driveshaft is, then you should be good to go, as was mentioned earlier.
Driveshaft angle as related to pinion gear

OP
OP
ScotM

ScotM

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Driveshaft angle as related to pinion gear
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear axle Perpendicular to ground! IMG_3781
did it 2 ways. First, angle of axle at flat spot on differential back - near the cover, there are two reference points, see previous picture with blue highlighted area
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear axle Perpendicular to ground! IMG_3779
as baseline angle, then angle of drive shaft. Difference in angles about 4.5 degrees. Second. Baseline angle fron flat spot on bottom of differential, which should also match pinion gear angle inside hosing, then measured driveshaft angle. Same resulting difference of about 4.5 degrees. I think I’m doing it correctly, and visually there is definitely an angle more than 1 degree
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear axle Perpendicular to ground! IMG_3780

JLfromCA

First Name
JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! 2 Door Rubicon/2024 Sarge Green 392
The axels relationship to the ground is only controlled by the tires. The body/frame relationship to the ground would be controlled by the springs.

OP
OP
ScotM

ScotM

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The axels relationship to the ground is only controlled by the tires. The body/frame relationship to the ground would be controlled by the springs.
I’m obviouly not making myself clear here. The differential and axle can be shifted with the control arm length.
Sponsored