First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
On a trip a couple of weeks ago to Joshua Tree Nat. park I noticed an annoying sort of thunking rattle in the rear of the Jeep. The other day I did a search for it. After about an hour and several trips up and down my dirt road with my wife in the back, I narrowed it down to the DS rear wheel. Pulled the wheel and found that I could make the same noise by moving the axle hub up and down. Appears to be a loose bearing.🤬
Off to the dealer Monday for an oil change and check of the axle.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
On a trip a couple of weeks ago to Joshua Tree Nat. park I noticed an annoying sort of thunking rattle in the rear of the Jeep. The other day I did a search for it. After about an hour and several trips up and down my dirt road with my wife in the back, I narrowed it down to the DS rear wheel. Pulled the wheel and found that I could make the same noise by moving the axle hub up and down. Appears to be a loose bearing.🤬
Off to the dealer Monday for an oil change and check of the axle.
Loose bearing? Do you have pictures or a video?

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
If you have that much movement then yeah the bearing is warn out. The bearings or bearing race is warn and damaged. It didn’t really get “loose”. There is no way to tighten the bearing, it will need to be replaced

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
There's really no way for it to be loose at all. If the bearing wasn't pressed on all the way, the axle would leak since the bearing and seal are pressed on together with the wedding ring. I'd be curious to see the bearing or a video of what is considered loose? If it's just the cage moving around, that's normal.

OP
OP
garykk

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
I should have taken a video of it when the wheel was off. It clearly makes a noise but no oil leak. I checked the PS too , it was much quieter. I know there is some normal play but not this much and it started after a rough ride in the Joshua Tree park washboard dirt roads.I am assuming the dealer will tell me . it’s normal 🙄

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade to better axle shafts. Pressing those bearings off is a major pain in the butt.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
^^^ what he said ^^^

The Dana Chromoly rear shafts are less than $250 with the bearing already in place and it’s a very easy swap. It’s not worth the labor cost to remove the old one, change the bearing, and replace it.

OP
OP
garykk

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
Well I feel stupid. From what the Jeep tech says, it’s a broken shock. Never thought
to disconnect it when I was looking for the noise, assuming that a shock would last over 2000 miles. I guess that rough dirt trail I was on did it in. Makes sense now that I think about it. I hope that’s it.
will know in a week or so when the new shock comes in.

OP
OP
garykk

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
So much for trusting the dealer tech. Just for the helluva it, I disconnected the DS rear shock yesterday and took the Jeep down our dirt road, noise is still there. Called the dealer and they said they’ll have to open a case with Stellantis. Will have to see what they say next week when I go back to the dealer. Those axles Jeremy mentioned are beginning to look good🙄
To add insult, I found oil spots on my garage floor too. The kid who changed my oil apparently spilled it all over the place. Cleaned up the floor and the engine/ axle and it appears to just be spilled oil, don’t see any oil leaks after a short trip.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Had this same issue on our Gladiator. Took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. I asked them for the spec on how much end play was acceptable so they backed up a bit and made it a case. In the end they replaced the shaft and it went away.

Sponsored

OP
OP
garykk

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
That’s the sound alright…. Only the wheel does not move that much.
A little bit is normal. Excessive play can lead to issues.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
If you decide on getting the Dana chromoly ones, make sure to REALLY inspect them when they show up. I ended up getting 5 axles (2 driver, 3 passenger) sent to me from Northridge because the axles kept getting damaged in transport. Northridge was great, but Dana needs to take a class on how to package then properly to avoid damage.
Sponsored