Really great Bronco features you'd like in the Wrangler

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I like my Jeep (2018 JLUR) the way it is. Absolutely love the 2.0 and new auto tranny. Mirrors....sigh....There are around 3,729 aftermarket options for Jeep mirrors for under a hundred bucks. To me, that means if I want to take the doors off, I'll be able to paddle through the market and find something that works for me. Too many guys that will drop ten grand on a new front axle but have a kitten coughing up thirty bucks for a mirror IMHO.
Jeep people say:
Big/small. Long/short. Hi/low. Needs to have a 1100 horse v-12 Continental air cooled diesel with 2000 lbs of torque, 27 speed manual/automatic, Apple desktop with worldwide gps plotted to a foot and a half, and a hot tub. Oh yeah.... It should cost $1,100 bucks off the lot.
I've had a few Ford's. I'll stick with my Jeep. I might even pick up a set of trail mirrors for Black Betty....if I can find some....
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The Sasquatch package being available on even a base model is going to be a huge problem for Jeep restricting the off-road goodies to the pricey Rubicon trim level. I like how Ford's trims are laid out and I think it's going to be really disruptive to the Wrangler pricing/trim scheme. I think the Base with Sasquatch is a really compelling combo.
That is pretty cool. If jeep did this I would have never gone to the rubicon. Then again now that I have it I'm glad I went rubicon.

Still, you can get a 2 door rubicon for about 38k. The base model with sasquatch is likely in the same ball park.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
Yes, but those Fords are also much wider than a Wrangler. IF the Bronco is that wide, it is inferior to the Wrangler out of the gate. I seriously doubt it will be that wide. Maybe a wider track, but not a wider body, unless just an inch or 1/2 inch. Any wider than a Wrangler and it won´t go where I go in this part of the country. I already almost have to grease the Wrangler to get through some of the tight spots.
I believe the 2021 Bronco is 3 inches wider than the Wrangler.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
In my family we have owned many Thunderbirds, Probes, Mustangs, Rangers, Explorers, and F150/250's. The trucks were worked hard.

We had only a couple unscheduled maintenance items come up but Ford resolved them on the the FIRST and only visit - we never had to go back due to something claimed to be fixed wasn't - except one instance we had to come back due to parts not being available, but it was a minor issue (trim piece broke). We never had a major engine, drivetrain, or electronics issue except the Supercoupe crank issue above, and that was preventative in nature.

In contrast I've owned 2 Jeeps. A JK and a JL.

The JK had the V6 replaced twice for tappet/roller issues. Both times took multiple visits to the dealership to get it running properly. The transmission failed 3 times in warranty. The steering pump failed twice. The axles were replaced once for unexplained clunks in the front, and 4 times in the rear during warranty and still clunked after that but I gave up. The radio and electrical controls never did work right ever and I gave up going back in as it often led to new issues.

My JL has had a FAD basically explode leaving me on a trail. The u-connect reboots a couple times a day randomly. Car Play will work perfectly for a month and then for days/weeks not work at all. Radio and harness both replaced and no luck.

The only reason I stuck with FCA was the Jeep's a lot of fun off road. With Ford having something that can compete with the fun level off road but also with reliability and a company that doesn't treat me like shit it is game over for our household on FCA as soon as possible.
I and others have had crappy fords too. I have had extremely good luck with my jeeps. Some engines are legendary, the latest is the 3.6. Their auto's are considered one of the best ever made.

I dont doubt you have had issues with your jeep but to say it represents all jeeps is like me saying my experience with my ford is all fords.

My experience with my rubicon continues to bring me smiles every time I drive it.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I and others have had crappy fords too. I have had extremely good luck with my jeeps. Some engines are legendary, the latest is the 3.6. Their auto's are considered one of the best ever made.

I dont doubt you have had issues with your jeep but to say it represents all jeeps is like me saying my experience with my ford is all fords.

My experience with my rubicon continues to bring me smiles every time I drive it.
The auto's are not theirs, they were designed by ZF and are used in many auto brands. It is currently the most widely used automatic in the commercial vehicle industry. What is interesting is that instead of buying units from ZF like many others do, FCA licensed it so they can build it themselves. The FCA built units are worse performing and worse reliability as a result. But that's ok, as it is still far superior to any transmission FCA designed themselves prior.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It doesn´t require a lift for 35´s if you plan to crawl the mall. I put the 35´s on before the lift and they rubbed when flexed.
I'm on 37s with manageable rub flexed out with sway bar disconnected. No reason Jeep couldn't offer the Wrangler on 35s tomorrow with zero changes

MYAMIA

First Name
MyA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL 2018
Like many of you, I'm just getting my feet wet with Ford's Bronco offerings, how they're marketing the new vehicle and the features it has.

If you run across ideas the Ford design team had that you'd like to see incorporated into a Wrangler, do share here.

For example, I like how the back seats--at least from some video I saw--have the ability to put the seat up to store items hidden below.
I would like to be living in 2021 when I am able to get rid of my loose steering Wrangler and get the Bronco.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
That is pretty cool. If jeep did this I would have never gone to the rubicon. Then again now that I have it I'm glad I went rubicon.

Still, you can get a 2 door rubicon for about 38k. The base model with sasquatch is likely in the same ball park.
I believe this will be true. Especially for four doors, and especially if broncos sell for MSRP for a while. While i am an advocate for making Rubicon a package instead of a trim, i think a Lightly equipped Rubicon will be cheaper than a base Bronco with the Sasquatch package. Time will tell.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I like my Jeep well enough to have spent the purchase price and digging into my pocket to buy over $1k worth of parts chasing the world's worst new vehicle steering and spending hundreds of hours of my time either searching for a solution or actually working on it. When the visors fell down, I spent a lot of time contemplating a solution and finally fixing it myself.

Sound a bit bitter? Yeah, I question my first Mopar purchase. But it was the only real choice in the category that I wanted.

Jeep has enjoyed being alone in this market pretty much it's entire life. I'm glad to see competition for Jeep. Future customers of Jeeps will benefit from it.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just like the similarly IFS equipped Defender...

Looked like a fun trail, but what the heck was up with that Disco? Did the driver not know how to engage his diff locks? That was way harder than it should have been

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Looked like a fun trail, but what the heck was up with that Disco? Did the driver not know how to engage his diff locks? That was way harder than it should have been
Yes, poor driving. I don’t think we can agree that it was ‘awesome’ or that it ‘ate the trail’ though as he asserted. Better tyres might help but not if they’re off the ground. I think it’s main problem is the IFS, I’ll be interested to see how the Bronco compares.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Yes, poor driving. I don’t think we can agree that it was ‘awesome’ or that it ‘ate the trail’ though as he asserted. Better tyres might help but not if they’re off the ground. I think it’s main problem is the IFS, I’ll be interested to see how the Bronco compares.
That video was quite comical to me. Yes, it made it. But dang did it struggle with some easy stuff.

Everyone is so quick to crap on the Wrangler, but it does stuff like this, stock, easily. But it's not the right vehicle for everyone. As much as I love my Wranglers, on my 5th Jeep, I generally try to talk people out of them if they don't plan on using them off road. There are better vehicle for the grocery store run. And I'm perfectly okay with that, because there aren't any other vehicles that are as good as a Wrangler where it counts to me. The TJ was outstanding compared to the YJ in almost every way. The JK was better than the TJ in many ways, and the JL is better than the JK in every way. The Bronco may ride better than a Wrangler, have better steering, be safer, but I really don't care. Because I didn't buy the Wrangler for any of those attributes. I bought it because it kicks ass off road.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I am eager to see what the manufacture and dealer support looks like. FCA sets a bar so low on this you can trip over it. If a Raptor version of the Bronco with a manual transmission comes out, I will be saying good bye to Jeep.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
That video was quite comical to me. Yes, it made it. But dang did it struggle with some easy stuff.

Everyone is so quick to crap on the Wrangler, but it does stuff like this, stock, easily. But it's not the right vehicle for everyone. As much as I love my Wranglers, on my 5th Jeep, I generally try to talk people out of them if they don't plan on using them off road. There are better vehicle for the grocery store run. And I'm perfectly okay with that, because there aren't any other vehicles that are as good as a Wrangler where it counts to me. The TJ was outstanding compared to the YJ in almost every way. The JK was better than the TJ in many ways, and the JL is better than the JK in every way. The Bronco may ride better than a Wrangler, have better steering, be safer, but I really don't care. Because I didn't buy the Wrangler for any of those attributes. I bought it because it kicks ass off road.
:rock:

dignan22

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X5 / GX 460 / 1989 Jeep YJ Laredo / 1986 Grand Wagoneer / Reserved 2021 Bronco 4D F.E.
35 inch standard on Rubicon
360 camera standard (perfect for off-roading)
Power driver seats
Body mounted mirrors
12 inch touchscreen (will likely debut with Uconnect 5)

I still think the Wrangler is the better looking off-road vehicle. The interior is still top notch. FCA has always made great interiors. However, since it was released in 2018, the interior is outdated when it comes to modern features.

I have no doubt most of the features I listed will be included in the next Wrangler refresh.
The Jeep interiors look great, except the rear seats in a JLUR are the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in...truly abysmal.
Sponsored