Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
#1 would be more low end torque then 6.2L v8 below 4k rpms (or more torque then ls 5.3 at all times).
#2 new take on removable top

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Standard LEDs
This highlights a practice that I think is pretty disgusting. LED lighting (among other things) is not expensive to manufacture. In large quantities (like, say, millions of units that would be made for a vehicle line), it should be a very small difference in cost (especially if you consider only having to design, manufacture and inventory of a single lighting system), yet it has a huge difference in benefit. FCA uses it as a profit center to charge, what, $1k or something for LED lighting that maybe costs them a couple bucks over incandescent... It's not like they even have heated lenses on em. Good on Ford for not cheaping out.

I'm still kinda in disbelief that the base Wangler is so stripped down for a $30k+ vehicle. I don't think the argument of "but all the off-road stuff cost a lot" holds water when Ford can include all they do as standard on the bronco at the same price points. SFA can't be that much different in cost to IFS.

If every Wrangler had LED lighting, thieves stealing headlights wouldn't really be an issue.. What would the market be? Maybe several years from now when those LED chips burn out.

Sponsored

Kizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler
35 inch standard on Rubicon
360 camera standard (perfect for off-roading)
Power driver seats
Body mounted mirrors
12 inch touchscreen (will likely debut with Uconnect 5)

I still think the Wrangler is the better looking off-road vehicle. The interior is still top notch. FCA has always made great interiors. However, since it was released in 2018, the interior is outdated when it comes to modern features.

I have no doubt most of the features I listed will be included in the next Wrangler refresh.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
A few more practical points.....

1) As a Ford it will have vastly superior reliability particularly in the electrical systems. FCA is worst in industry in this regard.

2) Having a service network that is not completely incompetent and with actual spare parts in stock and not needing to wait weeks/months for parts to come in.

3) Having a vendor that will sort out any ongoing issues and not hide from them. When the Thunderbird Supercoupe had crank issues Ford stepped right up made everything right. Even BMW did not go this far with their M3 crank issues. You always get the feeling that FCA is hiding from such issues.
Like Ford's service is any better, but at least at Ford they circle the problem.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
This highlights a practice that I think is pretty disgusting. LED lighting (among other things) is not expensive to manufacture. In large quantities (like, say, millions of units that would be made for a vehicle line), it should be a very small difference in cost (especially if you consider only having to design, manufacture and inventory of a single lighting system), yet it has a huge difference in benefit. FCA uses it as a profit center to charge, what, $1k or something for LED lighting that maybe costs them a couple bucks over incandescent... It's not like they even have heated lenses on em. Good on Ford for not cheaping out.

I'm still kinda in disbelief that the base Wangler is so stripped down for a $30k+ vehicle. I don't think the argument of "but all the off-road stuff cost a lot" holds water when Ford can include all they do as standard on the bronco at the same price points. SFA can't be that much different in cost to IFS.

If every Wrangler had LED lighting, thieves stealing headlights wouldn't really be an issue.. What would the market be? Maybe several years from now when those LED chips burn out.
Having striped down and rebuilt lj Sahara with sticker price of 49k and Explorer EcoBoost with sticker price of $45k. - If FCU would lower Sahara sticker price to around $39k and FCU would make same profit as Ford does with Explorer.

Bacicly Wrangler is 10k overpriced for what you get in a vehicle/as a vehicle, compared to how much goes into similarly priced SUVs.
$10k is extra price just to be exclusive top less adventurous vehicle.

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I like:

-Marine grade seats
-Mirrors on the A-pillars
-TORQUE without having to go diesel
-They made it true to the original in appearance
-Base price is amazing
-Can take the doors with you in case of a storm
-3 section hard top would be easy to remove for one person
-Sasquatch package is stand-alone, not a trim level that costs $$$$$ like on the Jeep

I still disagree that it will be more reliable. Watch and see....I'm well versed in Ford vehicles and I can promise you this thing will have serious teething issues for a few years.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
Ford did an excellent job and hopefully Jeep takes notice but the one thing I was really jealous of was the ability to download off road maps and make your own trail maps and share them with others. I would think the 8.4 in the Jeep could be upgraded with a patch to do at least some of this?
Agreed however have seen the Bronco's IP (instrument panel)? Looks cheap especially with the
Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
View attachment 345390
PRNDL

. Jeep has got Ford beat here.
Auto up/down windows for all 2 or 4 doors. FCA seems to struggle with this on all of those vehicles including the 300/Charger

Sponsored

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
This demonstrates what I have on my mind. 5 of these are shades of gray. My JLU is black simply because nothing else excited me so I'm opting for a black with chrome look. One of the most intriguing colors I saw when I was first considering a Wrangler was a beautiful bronze. Why all the shades of gray, I have no clue.

Out of the above, if Area 51 is some sort of blue or aqua, that one just might win an award. Then again, it might be my monitor.
I agree, Area 51 would be my choice. And my heart still aches for my old black and chrome YJ.

Jeep Wrangler JL Really great Bronco features you'd like in the Wrangler 50116431331_05096088a1_k

AlexC1980

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2006 Porsche Boxster S
Don't think anyone mentioned it, but I thought I saw the window controls on the front of the center console instead of below the radio. I kind of like where they put them.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Like Ford's service is any better, but at least at Ford they circle the problem.
In my family we have owned many Thunderbirds, Probes, Mustangs, Rangers, Explorers, and F150/250's. The trucks were worked hard.

We had only a couple unscheduled maintenance items come up but Ford resolved them on the the FIRST and only visit - we never had to go back due to something claimed to be fixed wasn't - except one instance we had to come back due to parts not being available, but it was a minor issue (trim piece broke). We never had a major engine, drivetrain, or electronics issue except the Supercoupe crank issue above, and that was preventative in nature.

In contrast I've owned 2 Jeeps. A JK and a JL.

The JK had the V6 replaced twice for tappet/roller issues. Both times took multiple visits to the dealership to get it running properly. The transmission failed 3 times in warranty. The steering pump failed twice. The axles were replaced once for unexplained clunks in the front, and 4 times in the rear during warranty and still clunked after that but I gave up. The radio and electrical controls never did work right ever and I gave up going back in as it often led to new issues.

My JL has had a FAD basically explode leaving me on a trail. The u-connect reboots a couple times a day randomly. Car Play will work perfectly for a month and then for days/weeks not work at all. Radio and harness both replaced and no luck.

The only reason I stuck with FCA was the Jeep's a lot of fun off road. With Ford having something that can compete with the fun level off road but also with reliability and a company that doesn't treat me like shit it is game over for our household on FCA as soon as possible.
Sponsored