Realistic lead time and constraints?

Brsox

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019. 4Runner TRD PRO
What is a realistic lead time these days when ordering a Wrangler? And are there particular options that are currently constrained and will hold up your order? Are FCA dealers limited by dealer allocation and can that hold up your build as well? I ordered on 4/14 and my dealer, pretty confidently told me I could expect my Jeep in 12 weeks "but probably sooner."

I ask because I've been through the huge sh*t show of the Bronco rollout. I ordered a Bronco on 12/8/21. I was confidently told that my Bronco would be delivered in 4-6 months. Long story short, without boring you with the details, apparently, 90% of the options I've selected are constraints, I've received zero communication from Ford, zero communication from my dealer and a "we couldn't care less" attitude from my salesperson. I don't have a build date or a VIN at this point. The last time I tried to get some kind of update, my salesperson told me that the dealership had no way of accessing any kind of info or getting any type of update and that when I heard from Ford through an email, I'd be the first to know. Then she said that someone who works at the dealership has been waiting 14 months so I shouldn't expect it anytime soon....then she laughed. They won't give any info on their allocation numbers or how many orders they actually have and where I stand in line. Yada Yada Yada.....I've ordered a Wrangler at 1% under invoice vs a Bronco at MSRP and Ford can kiss my a**. I WANT a new vehicle. I don't NEED one. Ford is turning out some amazing products these days. Good luck actually getting one.
Sponsored

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
What is a realistic lead time these days when ordering a Wrangler? And are there particular options that are currently constrained and will hold up your order? Are FCA dealers limited by dealer allocation and can that hold up your build as well? I ordered on 4/14 and my dealer, pretty confidently told me I could expect my Jeep in 12 weeks "but probably sooner."

I ask because I've been through the huge sh*t show of the Bronco rollout. I ordered a Bronco on 12/8/21. I was confidently told that my Bronco would be delivered in 4-6 months. Long story short, without boring you with the details, apparently, 90% of the options I've selected are constraints, I've received zero communication from Ford, zero communication from my dealer and a "we couldn't care less" attitude from my salesperson. I don't have a build date or a VIN at this point. The last time I tried to get some kind of update, my salesperson told me that the dealership had no way of accessing any kind of info or getting any type of update and that when I heard from Ford through an email, I'd be the first to know. Then she said that someone who works at the dealership has been waiting 14 months so I shouldn't expect it anytime soon....then she laughed. They won't give any info on their allocation numbers or how many orders they actually have and where I stand in line. Yada Yada Yada.....I've ordered a Wrangler at 1% under invoice vs a Bronco at MSRP and Ford can kiss my a**. I WANT a new vehicle. I don't NEED one. Ford is turning out some amazing products these days. Good luck actually getting one.
Last August, I asked a local Ford dealer about ordering a Bronco and they told me it that by the time it was built it would be a 2023 model. At least they were honest.....

Beach Bum 89

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fiat Spider
It could be 6 weeks or 6 months. Some are waiting for orders they placed in October. Production didn’t start until mid December. Seems people have ordered in February or early March & have gotten their Jeep already. There are multiple threads on here trying to figure out if certain options or models are holding up the build, but I don’t think there’s been any definitive answer. Once built, shipping could take weeks or months. If you’re close enough not to be put on a train, seems to get to the dealership quicker. Good luck & welcome to the Jeep community

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Went in to a dealership on March 24th. When I told the salesperson I wanted a 2dr Rubi w/ 6 speed, he chuckled & said "You know thats gonna be 6 to 8months, rtight?" Apparently, due to the manual transmission...they're lesser priority due to less demand, according to him. So, only about 5 to 7 months to go now.....

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I ordered a Bronco on 12/8/21. I was confidently told that my Bronco would be delivered in 4-6 months. .... I don't have a build date or a VIN at this point.
I ordered my Wrangler on 11/3, but there was a SNAFU and the dealer didn't actually enter the order into the system until 12/6. I do have a VON and VIN though. It's ping-ponged between "D" and "C" status since then.

When I placed the order, I kinda sorta figured I'd probably actually have it in six months (which would be May 3) but at this point there's zero chance of that happening.

I ping my dealer about every two months just so he doesn't forget about me. Aside from that, I wait, and obsessively monitor the https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...r-order-date-vin-and-actual-deliveries.83840/ thread, so I can sympathize and hang out with other long-waiters, and cheer when folks do actually get their Jeeps (which does happen - just in somewhat random and unpredictable order)

So, here's my Practical Advice for Anyone Ordering a Wrangler:
0. Don't sell, trade, or otherwise give-up your current driver. You're going to continue to need it.
1. Pick one of the newest limited edition colors (like GOBI, or "High Velocity") so that they have to finish your order before discontinuing that color.
2. Omit any "optional add ons" that can be easily added later (handles, floor mats, door sills, tailgate reinforcement) ; you don't want anything that is in short supply on any given day having a chance to hold up your particular order.
3. Similarly, omit any other options you're on the fence about (e.g. heated seats, safety group) because again, you don't want anything that is in short supply to be able to hold up your order)
4. BUT - that said, it's YOUR jeep. So don't skip any options you REALLY want. Don't pick a color you hate, only in hopes of getting it sooner. It's all a bit of a muddy opaque cluster anyway, and many jeeps have been delivered with these various parts that are said to be in short supply.
5. Don't make any calendar plans involving trips (to pick up the Jeep, or go somewhere in it) until the dealer has it, or it's actually in hand.
6. Don't pay any non-refundable deposit on your order. A lot can change while you're waiting.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Went in to a dealership on March 24th. When I told the salesperson I wanted a 2dr Rubi w/ 6 speed, he chuckled & said "You know thats gonna be 6 to 8months, rtight?" Apparently, due to the manual transmission...they're lesser priority due to less demand, according to him. So, only about 5 to 7 months to go now.....
Weirdly, some of the orders we've seen the quickest turn-around on have been two door six speeds.

Order what you want, but *do* be prepared to wait that six-to-eight months, as while you *might* get it sooner, that timeframe is not unlikely at all.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

The problem with a lot of average dealers is that they really don't want to do factory orders because the lead time on their commission is longer than the average tenure of a lot salesman. As a result you tend to get a lot of misinformation, because frankly they'd rather steer you into something they have already or they can get easier. Then you get to this forum, where it's mostly anecdotal evidence regarding build times and waits. Based on what I've seen monitoring this forum, Jeep wait times are a bell shaped curve, there are several folks waiting since October, November, December on orders that the system has seemingly lost track of, though each week at least one long lead comes through. On the other end there have been about a dozen or so "four week wonders" which might be the result of the forum members having incriminating photos of the Stellantis CEO with barnyard animals.

For your example above, a 2-Door Rubicon with a manual transmission, what your salesman said is hogwash, at least based on my personal experience. On Feb. 14th I ordered a 2-Door Manual Transmission Rubicon with pretty much all factory line options (those options that have to be built on the assembly line and cannot be added later). That Jeep was built in four and a half weeks. It then spent another week and a half with the body vendor getting a couple things installed that I could have done myself - rookie mistake on my part.

After it's built you have the shipping delay. Anything going on a train is a crapshoot these days due in no small part to transportation industry issues. Again, the anecdotal evidence is that to get your Jeep on a train add four weeks. So to summarize, I'm going to lay out Gator's Jeep Order Rules Of Life:

Rule #1:
Order what you want, most people don't buy Jeeps all the time, so don't worry about getting an el-strippo build just to eliminate that mythical option package that "everyone says" is back ordered to Shanghai. There's no possible way to tell what the constraints on options availability are, so order what makes you happy. Jeep suppliers all work towards producing enough parts to build about 200K Jeeps per year, chances are good that parts will be available for your particular build.

Rule #2: Avoid the additional Mopar options that will detour your Jeep into the body vendor. If you can buy the parts yourself there's no reason to wait on Jeep getting those for you. Floor Mats, Trail Ready Kits and Grab Handles, those things that anyone can add later.

Rule #2 Corollary: If you are handy with tools and not afraid to wrench on your new baby, some parts are easy to install in the comfort of your own garage, such as the tailgate reinforcement kit. Doing it yourself will also save time. The goal is to keep the Jeep out of their garage, and into your garage.

Rule #3: If you can, order from a dealership that's within trucking distance of Toledo. If you can eliminate a train ride, you can save yourself three or four weeks. Remember, once the train arrives at the station, they *still* need to put your Jeep on a truck to get it the last mile to the dealer.

Rule #4: Assume this is going to be a four month process. Most Jeeps will come through in 8 to 12 weeks, but if you prepare for a 16 week slog you just might be pleasantly surprised. I ordered the Jeep in my avatar in 2006 and so far my 2022 JL has beaten the wait times at every stage of the build, not bad considering the times we are living in now.

Hope that helps...

Kyle_WV

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLU Rubicon XR
Ordered on 1-22-22. Dealer told me 12 weeks. It's now 4-19-22 and the Jeep hasn't even been built yet. I'm hoping to have it by June at this rate.

Sponsored

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder
I ordered mine on January 18th, it arrived on March 3rd. Seems like most of the people that are waiting longer periods ordered Xtreme Recons. But floormats, safety groups, etc are not holding anything up.

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
My Jeep took 14 weeks. It has LEDs, cold weather, SOT, and 6 speed manual. Ratbert puts together some great analysis to track builds and their options on this forum. Check that out, but as others have said, order what you want and assume at least 14 weeks, but potentially longer. Statistically speaking, you are more likely to be built and delivered within 4 months then not.

kj11

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport Altitude
FWIW I ordered today with the GM through a very reputable dealer who talked me out of ordering any Mopar accessories because he believes that's a common cause for delay...

SJSTL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee
I did the Bronco reservation, early 2021 order, and MY22 reorder. Might show up sometime in mid to late 2023 based on current info.

Ordered a JLUR on 2/22/22, it was delivered last week, and I’m picking it up Saturday. Leather seats, safety group, advanced safety group, LED lights, HD electrical/tow, cold weather, integrated trail cam.
Sponsored