Real World Towing Capacity?

Paul Holland

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes A180, Toyota RAV4, 2020 Rubicon UL 4dr
Does anyone know what the real towing capacity of a 2018 Wrangler 2 door A/T? We’ve been researching the idea of getting a lightweight travel trailer (Lance 1475, 2700lbs UVW) and touring the country.
i can’t seem to get any real world feedback from just general search’s. We did this once before with a ‘91 YJ 5speed and a 3000 pound trailer with no trouble at all.
Any information is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
2 doors are listed at a 2000lb towing capacity. 4 doors are 3500lb. Offroad flexibility and towing are at opposite ends of the spectrum, when it comes to chassis design. Air "helper" bags in the rear springs can help the vehicles loaded posture, especially while straddling the limits, and can be removed when not needed.

OP
OP
Paul Holland

Paul Holland

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 doors are listed at a 2000lb towing capacity. 4 doors are 3500lb. Offroad flexibility and towing are at opposite ends of the spectrum, when it comes to chassis design. Air "helper" bags in the rear springs can help the vehicles loaded posture, especially while straddling the limits, and can be removed when not needed.
Thanks. Now that has been the standard answer I’ve been gettin. I’m guessing the difference between the 2dr and the 4dr is the wheelbase. When we towed with the old YJ we always used an equalizer hitch and never had a stability issue. Do you think the lower tow weight is based on the wheelbase?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Now that has been the standard answer I’ve been gettin. I’m guessing the difference between the 2dr and the 4dr is the wheelbase. When we towed with the old YJ we always used an equalizer hitch and never had a stability issue. Do you think the lower tow weight is based on the wheelbase?
Yes, the longer wheelbase provides more frontal leverage and weight, to better resist the load on the hitch.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Paul Holland

Paul Holland

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this what happens when you overload the 2dr:

Two things (and I can’t be certain but ...) lt looked like he was possibly driving too fast, may not have had a sway control device or a load equalizer hitch and as soon as you feel any sway, especially quickly progressing sway, you apply the trailer brakes only. It shouldn’t have happened.

OP
OP
Paul Holland

Paul Holland

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, the longer wheelbase provides more frontal leverage and weight, to better resist the load on the hitch.
Absolutely but that’s where a load equalizing hitch with sway control comes in. I’ve always used that arrangement. That way the trailer tongue weight is distributed on all four wheels of the tow vehicle with no rear end squat.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Your YJ had leaf springs. Totally different ballgame. I wouldn't tow a 2700lb trailer with a 2-door.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I think it is 2000lbs. But you should only tow something like 70% of tow rating. Acquaintance who has a 2dr wanted to tow a dirtbike, realized he couldn't do it. Was even more surprised by the puny payload.

https://yourjeepguide.com/wrangler-towing-capacity/

The 2drs are truly a lifestyle vehicle. Only advantage is a shorter wheelbase for wheeling.

I specifically got a JT Sport with Max Tow for the 1550lbs payload and 7650lb towing capacity

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Towards the end of JK (2016-2018) the 2-doors were rated for 3,500 lbs towing (w/ 3.73 or 4.10 gears)

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
im afraid the folks are right, giving the tow rating of your JL and the weight of the Lance you’ll more than likely be 1000-1200 lbs over the RATED capacity. “Could” you pull it? Sure, but “should” you? Not really. If you had a problem and the insurance folks could easily see you were 50% over the vehicles rated capacity you might find yourself in a real bind. Hate to say it but you need a 4dr.

OP
OP
Paul Holland

Paul Holland

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
im afraid the folks are right, giving the tow rating of your JL and the weight of the Lance you’ll more than likely be 1000-1200 lbs over the RATED capacity. “Could” you pull it? Sure, but “should” you? Not really. If you had a problem and the insurance folks could easily see you were 50% over the vehicles rated capacity you might find yourself in a real bind. Hate to say it but you need a 4dr.
Thanks mate......

OP
OP
Paul Holland

Paul Holland

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Towards the end of JK (2016-2018) the 2-doors were rated for 3,500 lbs towing (w/ 3.73 or 4.10 gears)
Thanks. I haven’t seen that anywhere actually. So, with the proper gear ratio they’re rated at 3500 lbs but not with say 3.55s I guess. Where did you see that? Here’s the stickler. Automatics weren’t offered with 3.73 or 4.11 gears were they? Oldbear brought up a good point. If I had a towing incident and if technically I was over the rated towing capacity I could be in a sticky situation. Problem is, my 1930’s style garage can barely fit a 2dr!

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I specifically got a JT Sport with Max Tow for the 1550lbs payload and 7650lb towing capacity
Someone in the neighborhood was towing a huge tandem travel trailer with their JT over the weekend. My JL just whimpered at the thought.

OP
OP
Paul Holland

Paul Holland

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone in the neighborhood was towing a huge tandem travel trailer with their JT over the weekend. My JL just whimpered at the thought.
😂
Sponsored