Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Retirement gift
Given the same lift, same Jeep, same trim, same overall build. Mid level rock crawling trails.
2.5 lift
37's on Dana 44 axles.
2.0 Turbo hardtop automatic.

Normally two people in the Jeep, maybe a third teen or dog.
Daily driver/ weekend warrior/ road trip to big off-road parks

Given these parameters would you go two-door or four-door and why
Every 2 door has required me to remove the rear seat and still come up short of space at times. Did I like losing the tight turning radius etc,,, not at all. However, if you only have one Jeep, for me (and per your question) it has to be the 4 door.
Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
My totally unbiased opinion based solely on your lifestyle and needs yet totally indifferent to the epic coolness you’ll achieve is to go with the 2-Door.

if you want want to transport people, buy a bus. If you want to haul groceries, buy a minivan. If you want to turn on a dime, fit on more trails than others and enjoy off-roading with fewer doors to remove, two-door is the ONLY choice.

Again, that is my humble and totally unbiased opinion. It has to be 100%, I just shared it on the internet……

Cheers

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-Dr
This is a most highly contentious topic I believe best answered with, "It depends..."

For me, it's 2 door all the way. But that's for me. I pack light and have plenty of room for all my gear and more. If things get tight inside, I have a roof rack.

It works for me because my wife has her own 2 door. She can set it up just how she likes it, and she has freedom of movement when I'm on the water or elsewhere. We're never leaving one another without wheels.

Personally, if I wanted my wife & I, all our stuff, AND a dog in one vehicle...I'd go with a 4 door and a good roof rack.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
Where does the fun factor come in between two doors and 4 doors? I’ve owned both and the difference between the two seems to have nothing to do with “fun”. The 4 door handles the same as the two, off roads the same, but has way more space. The 4 door with a good lift had the advantage when it came to serious rock crawling and did things the 2 door bucked and teetered over.

travis304

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, Barely street-able S197/E85
How much junk are y’all driving around with? My Hell. Two-door is plenty, even with 3 people on a trip and a backseat.

Sponsored

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
How much junk are y’all driving around with? My Hell. Two-door is plenty, even with 3 people on a trip and a backseat.
Backpack (x number of people), water, cooler*, tent, sleeping bag (x number of people), sleeping pad (x number of people). Not sure how you get a cooler in a 2-door with the back seat down.

* Just like an igloo, nothing fancy, insanely large, or refrigerated

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
My totally unbiased opinion based solely on your lifestyle and needs yet totally indifferent to the epic coolness you’ll achieve is to go with the 2-Door.

if you want want to transport people, buy a bus. If you want to haul groceries, buy a minivan. If you want to turn on a dime, fit on more trails than others and enjoy off-roading with fewer doors to remove, two-door is the ONLY choice.

Again, that is my humble and totally unbiased opinion. It has to be 100%, I just shared it on the internet……

Cheers
You'll have to show me the trail the 2 for fits on that the 4 door doesn't? Conversely the 2 doors getting lowered down the wall on steel bender is a common occurrence where the 4 door can just drive down it. The short wheelbase gets real tippy real fast on steep off camber ledges. I might need the occasional 3 point turn that the 2dr can make in 1 shot, but at least my rig will stay right side up on steep climbs/decents.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
You'll have to show me the trail the 2 for fits on that the 4 door doesn't? Conversely the 2 doors getting lowered down the wall on steel bender is a common occurrence where the 4 door can just drive down it. The short wheelbase gets real tippy real fast on steep off camber ledges. I might need the occasional 3 point turn that the 2dr can make in 1 shot, but at least my rig will stay right side up on steep climbs/decents.
Anywhere there’s woods and you don’t have more the 170” to spare for overall length favors the lil’ zippy. Your rig stays upright because both of your bumpers are dragging silly. Now quit trying to get me to talk you into trading off your JLU. You done paid twice as much for door hangers than the 2-door boys, enjoy them man!

PS - That’s just my unbiased and humble opinion. I mean no disrespect and cast no judgement to those who got duped into buying a 4 door…..LOL

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Anywhere there’s woods and you don’t have more the 170” to spare for overall length favors the lil’ zippy. Your rig stays upright because both of your bumpers are dragging silly. Now quit trying to get me to talk you into trading off your JLU. You done paid twice as much for door hangers than the 2-door boys, enjoy them man!

PS - That’s just my unbiased and humble opinion. I mean no disrespect and cast no judgement to those who got duped into buying a 4 door…..LOL
Stock approach and departure angles are the same, but the belly did drag a bit on the 4dr. On 3.5" of lift and 39s it doesn't drag anymore.
Jeep Wrangler JL Real world, 2 v 4 door? 20230925_162818

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Stock approach and departure angles are the same, but the belly did drag a bit on the 4dr. On 3.5" of lift and 39s it doesn't drag anymore.
1ton’s or you rocking the XR axles? And gearing?

Thinking of going to 37’s next, possibly 38’s, I have the XR 4.56 gearing but trying to decide what I need.

Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
I’d duck that Zach!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
1ton’s or you rocking the XR axles? And gearing?

Thinking of going to 37’s next, possibly 38’s, I have the XR 4.56 gearing but trying to decide what I need.
Ran 37s and then 38s on our 2019 Rubicon for 60k miles. 4.10s on the 37s and then regeared to 5.38s after the 38s. The 5.38s were just too low for me. We do tend to drive freeway+ speeds out west, cruise usually set at 85mph so take it with a grain of salt. The 4.10s and 37s weren't bad at all. I felt the 4.56s were too low for 35s stock on the freeway. Only had the 39s for a month and a half so far but it's great around town, still crawls great with the 4-1 low range, and the rpms are much better coming down grades on the freeway. If I were buying axles I'd go 4.88s, but definitely not spending regear money on that little of a change. The goal is to run tough trails, taking hard lines, while keeping the sheetmetal and paint looking like it's never been off road. That requires being judicious with the skinny pedal and I find the stock 44s hold up to that type of wheeling. If you're trying to rockbounce your way through trails I'd go for Dana 80s over 60s. On stock axles and 39s it walked through John Bull without even getting out to spot so I'm happy with it so far. Upgraded shafts are probably a good idea, but I like to push the limits of stock parts until they fail personally. I wouldn't recommend it to others, but I've wheeled broken down, beat up old rigs for 2 decades so I'm pretty sure I could get this jeep off the trail with a broken shaft and/or change one in the woods as I've done both. Now swapping the turbo 400 trans in my old Waggoner on the side of the trail with no floor jack is something I never want to do again but that's a whole different level of trail repair.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
4 door is more practical. And you get more for your money imo. But you can make a 2 door work for whatever you want, be it camping, road tripping, crawling, etc... but you must really want a 2door. I really love 2 doors. 4d jeeps just dont do it for me. 2doors are way too fun and sporty. However, If you dont really care much for a 2door. 100% go for a 4door.
Jeep Wrangler JL Real world, 2 v 4 door? 20231021_085149
Jeep Wrangler JL Real world, 2 v 4 door? 20230701_162417

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Ran 37s and then 38s on our 2019 Rubicon for 60k miles. 4.10s on the 37s and then regeared to 5.38s after the 38s. The 5.38s were just too low for me. We do tend to drive freeway+ speeds out west, cruise usually set at 85mph so take it with a grain of salt. The 4.10s and 37s weren't bad at all. I felt the 4.56s were too low for 35s stock on the freeway. Only had the 39s for a month and a half so far but it's great around town, still crawls great with the 4-1 low range, and the rpms are much better coming down grades on the freeway. If I were buying axles I'd go 4.88s, but definitely not spending regear money on that little of a change. The goal is to run tough trails, taking hard lines, while keeping the sheetmetal and paint looking like it's never been off road. That requires being judicious with the skinny pedal and I find the stock 44s hold up to that type of wheeling. If you're trying to rockbounce your way through trails I'd go for Dana 80s over 60s. On stock axles and 39s it walked through John Bull without even getting out to spot so I'm happy with it so far. Upgraded shafts are probably a good idea, but I like to push the limits of stock parts until they fail personally. I wouldn't recommend it to others, but I've wheeled broken down, beat up old rigs for 2 decades so I'm pretty sure I could get this jeep off the trail with a broken shaft and/or change one in the woods as I've done both. Now swapping the turbo 400 trans in my old Waggoner on the side of the trail with no floor jack is something I never want to do again but that's a whole different level of trail repair.
We sound similar. I like to try challenging lines, but I’m a finesse driver, and don’t like to hammer my rig.

I know guys are running 40’s in the gladiator in stock axles (same ones the XR has) without many issues.

Looks like 37’s or 38’s are next on my list of upgrades.

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
This is all my junk for a 1 night/ 1 person camping trip. The passenger seat is also filled with all my recovery gear. I've been trying to cut it down but haven't had any luck.

Jeep Wrangler JL Real world, 2 v 4 door? IMG_2141
Sponsored