Real world, 2 v 4 door?

Idlethunder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon
The only answer to the question, in my opinion, is a 4 door. Having said that, I'd much rather have a 2 door but could only own one as a second vehicle.
Sponsored

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
I've got both. My '20 2 door has norht of 150,000 miles on it, the '21 4 door has 26,000 miles. I like both of them a lot but the 2 dr is so handy and fun I find myself driving it all the time. I think I would keep it if I had to part with one of them. They are both fully optioned Rubs.

sathish

First Name
sathish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
I bought 2dr on 2019 when my boy was 3. His growth rate is so fast, it quite difficult for me to take him out when he is in sleep moreover i felt kind of no freedom for him to enjoy the free air and he felt like locked in a box in 2dr. Space is also another issue. Last week i sold my 2dr and bought JLUR, where it fulfill all the necessary factors. But driving 2dr is more fun than 4dr. By looking at your needs, 4dr is the best option in my opinion.

Lager

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
I think for your use the 4 door is the best choice. It's amazing how much that bit of extra space makes so many daily tasks easier.

I've been driving two door Jeeps for most of my life (I'm 60) and I love them! CJ, YJ and TJ. Never had a JK. I think 2 door Jeeps just look "right" compared to the 4 doors.

I really wanted the diesel JL and the only way to order it was to go with the 4 door and this was actually a big deal for me as I didn't want a 4 door. Once my Jeep came in with 4 doors, diesel engine and Snazzberry paint it was love at first sight! Living with the 4 door Jeep is so much more convenient and practical.

Didn't want to like the 4 door Jeep but it easily won me over! It's so nice for day to day use, much better than a 2 door. Really not noticing much difference off road other than this diesel has sooo much low end torque. The slightly decreased turning radius doesn't affect me at all.

2 Door Jeeps......I love them!! Just not gonna buy another one.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A 4 door with 37s skids etc, will go down "Mid level rock crawling trails" without any trouble and haul a lot of gear.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Everyone talking about the 2 door being "more fun"... I'll point this out:

The 4 door is still a blast to drive compared to most other vehicles lol. Of course, when I say fun, I mean louder, bouncier, nimble in odd ways (but also less nimble in other odd ways). I usually joke that it drives like a little fedex truck. I find these qualities amusing. I'm not sure what kinda vehicle the OP is coming from..

In terms of size, it's still just 188.4 inches long. In between the length of a Corolla and a Camry. For comparison, A Chevy Camaro is 188.3 inches long!

I'd highly recommend giving both a try - best suggestion? Bring your two family members with you so you can get a feel for how well the 2 door and 4 door fit your needs.

I'll add: Carrying more people changes the handling dynamics a little bit. Especially if you're more full size people.

I have never actually driven a 2-door before. The funny thing is with the JK I never really cared about the 2 door and thought the 4 door was cool. With the JL, the 2 doors look really neat and I wonder sometimes why I didn't at least try one lol. Oh well.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
A 4 door with 37s skids etc, will go down "Mid level rock crawling trails" without any trouble and haul a lot of gear.
I'd say much more than mid level with an experienced driver. Our 2019 never had an issue pretty much anywhere I was willing to take it. The Rubicon trail, the dusy erishim, John Bull, Holcomb creek, steel bender, metal masher, poison spider, top of the world, cliffhanger, and hundreds of other trails. Not 1 stuck, never used the winch aside from deep mud or snow, the thing was amazing on 37s. Our 2022xr on 39s is even better. Walked up John Bull without even getting out to spot. In stock form on 33s I did feel the belly drug on everything. 3.5" of lift and 37"+, it's not an issue.

KHR Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Wrangler
We have all three…. 2,4 & a Gladiator… 2 Door is a fun motorcycle to ride / Drive Locally. Unlimited is a mini station wagon…….. Gladiator is just a fun mini truck…..

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Retirement gift
Given the same lift, same Jeep, same trim, same overall build. Mid level rock crawling trails.
2.5 lift
37's on Dana 44 axles.
2.0 Turbo hardtop automatic.

Normally two people in the Jeep, maybe a third teen or dog.
Daily driver/ weekend warrior/ road trip to big off-road parks

Given these parameters would you go two-door or four-door and why
Stick with the two door, they are just more personal and I think the look great. The 4 door is like a Chevy Suburban, just too damn big. I admit it would be nice when someone needed to get in back it would be much easier, but how often does that happen?

Chrisbayridge1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Clubs

Retirement gift
Given the same lift, same Jeep, same trim, same overall build. Mid level rock crawling trails.
2.5 lift
37's on Dana 44 axles.

I love my 2 door Rubicon but I have to take the backseat out every time I go in a road trip to go off-road and I'm too tall to sleep in the Jeep so I have to pay for hotels all along the way. But the 2dr is as nimble as a Cat off-road especially when I wheel on narrow Eastern woods like AOAA and Rauch Creek Bone Stock my 2dr Rubicon completed 18 Jeep Badge of Honor trails from Pennsylvania to Nevada

Sponsored

MichaelT333

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys
Retirement gift
2.5 lift
37's on Dana 44 axles.

I have a two door and I love it as I removed the back seat and got a liner for it floor. But I only ever have two people plus a dog in it. If you leave the backseat in there is virtually no space in the trunk you can fit maybe 3 to 4 bags of groceries if you’re going on a camping trip definitely a four-door if you plan on having more than two people definitely a four-door.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Since there’s lots of slamming of the four door here…one of the reasons the military switched from an essentially two-door Jeep to a HMMWV is because you can’t carry enough gear and/or people in it, and it’s less stable on difficult terrain.

In short, the 2-door is a glorified SXS.

(I actually love both! Just being a dick for the fun of it 🤣)

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
We just got back last month from vacation for a week, took our 4 door JLU over our 4 door car. While it was just the 2 of us, the back end was full up to the seat tops and had a few things in the rear seat. Coming back we had more stuff in the rear seat because of souvenirs. The 4 door works well for us in every day life. Typically it’s just the 2 of us in the Jeep but occasionally we have someone in the rear seat, typically 1 of the young grandkids. Been a very long time since we have had a 2 door ANYTHING and all I remember about it was how much of a PITA it was even for a young kid to get in.

Can’t say I will ever get another 2 door ANYTHING. Life is so much easier with 4 doors.

Jay_Jeep

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Sport S 2 Door
All I’ve ever owned is a 2 door and when we (gf & kid) go on any longer weekend trips I use a hitch cargo carrier for extra gear etc. it also has a cover that zips up so everything is safe from weather etc. It works well for us.

JLeco2022

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 3.0 V6 Eco Diesel
just do what you want, shouldn't need to ask other people on a little preference. that being said get a 4 door diesel and forget what all these other wrong answers say
Sponsored