wheelsfeels

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport JLU 2020
Totally leaning towards the 4-door Wrangler myself. It may not seem massive at first glance, but it's surprisingly roomy. Honestly, the 4-door Wrangler is like our "1 bedroom flat" on the go 😆 Compact yet surprisingly accommodating for all our stuff. My wife and I love to hit the road and explore and we always have a bunch of gear with us. The 4-door has been awesome for that - enough space for all our stuff without sacrificing that classic Jeep feel. For us it's the ideal mix of adventure ready and everyday practical plus the trunk space perfect for a chillout spot 😄
Jeep Wrangler JL Real world, 2 v 4 door? chillin
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I love my 2 door but certainly wouldn't recommend one for anyone looking traveling with 3 people or with a dog, especially on longer trips. I also don't think a 2 door Wrangler is necessarily a good road trip vehicle either, it could do it, but I would prefer something else on trips longer than 2-3 hours. I do think for the OPs case, a 4 door would be better.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
I love my 2 door but certainly wouldn't recommend one for anyone looking traveling with 3 people or with a dog, especially on longer trips. I also don't think a 2 door Wrangler is necessarily a good road trip vehicle either, it could do it, but I would prefer something else on trips longer than 2-3 hours. I do think for the OPs case, a 4 door would be better.
I agree that for OP's use case, I think a 4-door would be better, but I have to disagree that a 2-door is not a good road trip vehicle in general. I've done lots of road trips will full camping/backpacking gear with me and a passenger or me and my dog, and I haven't wanted for room (no trailer, no hitch basket, nothing on the roof). Had a blast driving it and getting to the destination for days of hikes. That said, a road trip with a passenger and my dog was pretty tight and took creative packing and strapping to make sure gear didn't shift and fall on my dog.

Jeepalady17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wragler Sport S
I love my two door. Two people, gear, and a dog is tight with the backseat removed for any road trip. It's doable, but it's tight. Sometimes a third person? Unless you're pulling a trailer, it's not going to work well.

To give you an idea of space with the third seat in use, you can fit 3-4 people (4 adults is not super comfortable) and ~4 paper grocery bags.
Had 2-doors all my life, decided to get a 4-door in 2020.. It lasted 2 years before I decided to go back to a 2-door,, Just didn't like it.. Now a happy camper with my 2023 2-door.. So I tried the 4-door, not for me... back to my lowly wonderful 2-door... Soo much more fun to drive and never any complaints about going on long road trips either. Took the back seat out right away and for me there is all kinds of cargo space and room for the dog....

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
there are only a very few things a 2-dr might be better at than a 4-dr; breakover angle and turning radius.
on 37s, breakover isn’t even going to be as much of an issue.

for everything else mentioned (including towing!), a 4-dr is going to better suit your stated needs.

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
My sincerest apologies for everybody that has read and answered prior to this, but as a caveat. For long distance( 8 hour drive) or camping and such with a third person I would procure a trailer suitable for carrying everything.
I amend my entire previous comment
You should get a 2 door for sure. It's SO fun.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I love my 2-door but given the use case you describe I'd have to go with a 4-door. You'll need the extra space and your passengers will appreciate how easy it is to get in the back seat with a second set of doors.

HK1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2dr sport 3.6etorq AT
I been taking family members from and to airport in the 2 door because it so easy to drive in the city, I only need like 2.5 lanes to make a u turn. I have a enclave but unless there is a lot of stuff to carry I don't drive that.

I constantly take out and reinstall the rear seat, its 80 Lbs not exactly light but doable. Getting people into the rear is harder, I keep a folding step and ratcheting strap in the vehicle when I have the rear seat installed. if you are doing road trip with 3 people I suggest you get the longer one. because there really is no space with the rear seat in. fits like 2 carry on luggage.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Retirement gift
Given the same lift, same Jeep, same trim, same overall build. Mid level rock crawling trails.
2.5 lift
37's on Dana 44 axles.
2.0 Turbo hardtop automatic.

Normally two people in the Jeep, maybe a third teen or dog.
Daily driver/ weekend warrior/ road trip to big off-road parks

Given these parameters would you go two-door or four-door and why
Two door even if you have to strap the teen to the bumper because 4 door is fugly.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Retirement gift
I'm about to retire so is this for me?
I'd like a 4-door but I'll have to do some research on color so I'll get back to you on that, and thanks in advance.

I chose 4-door for myself, mostly driven by me alone but most of my trail trips are with my daughter. On a week long trail trip by myself I can pack light and sleep in the back along with my gear. With my daughter along we are tent camping and it is a challenge to get all of our gear in the back of the 4-door, partly because she doesn't pack light and sometimes insists on bringing her dog along.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
For rock crawling, I prefer the dimensions of the 4 door actually. Plus climbing and going down steep stuff? 4door every time. I ride in Moab a lot and I think there’s a reason that the LJ is so sought after for Moab rigs, that little bit of extra length really makes a difference in that terrain.

the 4door is a bit longer than LJ, but not too much so. Gladiator starts to be too long, but JLU is about right.

I’ve got a 2dr and 4door. As much as I like to say 2dr is the “real jeep” I can’t deny that I reach for the 4dr whenever I go off-road.

Reactions: DLW

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I have a 2 door. Use it for camping trips with 3 people in it all the time. We just pull a small teardrop trailer. If no trailer, you will need a 4 door.

tomk62

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sahara Anvil, 2019 Cherokee
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Given your parameters, 4 door is the only answer here.
Sponsored