Real world, 2 v 4 door?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...I don't think I would feel this way in a soft top with the top down.
...or perhaps with the soft top raised, also. It provides considerably more headroom, particularly for rear seat passengers, as a collateral effect of its design.

I remember sitting in a hardtop JL in the showroom, a good while after I had purchased my Jeep, and was surprised at how close the roof was to the roll bar. I wasn't used to that sensation.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Allen0jason

Allen0jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06LJ,
Clubs

My sincerest apologies for everybody that has read and answered prior to this, but as a caveat. For long distance( 8 hour drive) or camping and such with a third person I would procure a trailer suitable for carrying everything.

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
I'd say 2dr, but whoever has to sit in the back seat, when you have a 3rd along for a long drive/road trip, is probably not gonna be happy after a few hours on rough roads. I mean they'll basically be sitting right on the rear axle, all the vibrations and bumps should transmit right into the back seat area...I think

Sponsored

new to JL's

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR; 2010 JK Islander
2-door bronco, the one I had was almost as long as my four door rubicon! :CWL:
that being said, I like to drive my daughters 2-door more over my four door, although for long distance the four door is tiring as is, I assume this would be worse in the 2-door.
my next jeep will be a 2-door

JLEdCeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JL Willys
2 door owner here, and based in your post Im sadly recommend you a 4 door.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
For long distance( 8 hour drive) or camping and such with a third person I would procure a trailer suitable for carrying everything.
That could work. Bear in mind that the towing limit for the two door is a comparatively modest 2,000 lbs. And if the passenger stuck in the rear seat of a JL isn't petite, well...

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
That could work. Bear in mind that the towing limit for the two door is a comparatively modest 2,000 lbs. And if the passenger stuck in the rear seat of a JL isn't petite, well...
Honestly, I feel like 2 doors shouldn't even come with a back seat. Save us all the trouble of having to remove it and store it.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Honestly, I feel like 2 doors shouldn't even come with a back seat. Save us all the trouble of having to remove it and store it.
When I purchased my new YJ, one of the line item options on the window sticker was the rear bench seat. Yep. It also had a radio delete.

Good times.

Sponsored

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
Retirement gift
Given the same lift, same Jeep, same trim, same overall build. Mid level rock crawling trails.
2.5 lift
37's on Dana 44 axles.
2.0 Turbo hardtop automatic.

Normally two people in the Jeep, maybe a third teen or dog.
Daily driver/ weekend warrior/ road trip to big off-road parks

Given these parameters would you go two-door or four-door and why
As much as I want you to get a 2 door because I feel like we're just a dying breed
The "occasional teen or dog" with road trips tells me a 4 door is more fitting for your needs.
There isn't a lot of space in a 2 door with the seats in. Could you make it work, sure. I've bought many small items for that purpose, but it just isn't necessarily practical for most people.
Works out great for me with no backseat as I'm single.

But honestly a 4 door isn't for me, so I would just figure it the fuck out if I had multiple people. But again, that isn't practical for most people.

jeproctor

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Retirement gift
Given the same lift, same Jeep, same trim, same overall build. Mid level rock crawling trails.
2.5 lift
37's on Dana 44 axles.
2.0 Turbo hardtop automatic.

Normally two people in the Jeep, maybe a third teen or dog.
Daily driver/ weekend warrior/ road trip to big off-road parks

Given these parameters would you go two-door or four-door and why
Have 22' JLR 2 door. Defiantly moments when a 4 door would be nice, any time someone gets in the back seat, traveling, cargo space....... That being said, I will take the 2 door all day long. I just like 2 door Jeeps!

2.0 Turbo kicks butt on the 2 door JLR. I wanted a V6 and only could find 2.0's within 500 miles the way I wanted it optioned. 45K miles in the last 2 years and I still smile every time I drive it.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
We’ve done several, multi thousand KM road trips with up to 18 hours of driving in our 2 door. We choose it over our 4 door every time as it’s just more fun when you reach the destination. Then again, we are usually off-roading at the destination and our 2 door is built for that whereas our 4 door is essentially stock.

When you say occasional third passenger or dog are they coming on the road trip or just on local jaunts?

Each has their merits so it comes down to personal preference. The 2 door is more fun and for 2 people is just as practical as a 4 door (Rear seat removed or at least folded up). For more than 2 people on a regular basis then the 4 doors extra storage space wins out.

NPC 20883467

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
...Normally two people in the Jeep, maybe a third teen or dog.
Daily driver/ weekend warrior/ road trip to big off-road parks...
Sounds like the recipe for a Station Wrangler to me... If you attempt to do road trips with the wife in a Real Wrangler, you will never hear the end of it.

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
Had a 2-door JK for 11 years, bought a 4 door JL to replace it this year.
Sponsored