Ready to place my order!!

OP
OP

kittykat2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
I am so happy for you, and firecracker red is a great color, its timeless and eye catching . I will say that when i bought mine, I avoided the matching fenders and roof, it was just too much red.

1. As far as opinions on factory options, tell us what you want to do with it and how you like to drive (e.g. dirt devil or a pavement princess)
  2. Are you a manual girl or do you subscribe to the Ron Popeil method of driving (i.e. "set it, and forget it")
  3. What type of environment to you live in, what will you be driving over? (E.g. snow, sand, the crushed dreams of new Bronco owners, etc)
Without knowing anything else, I will say the consensus is to get LEDs from the factory or be ready to get aftermarket ones (unless u live in a snowy environment). After 40, the eyes physically change and we need more light to see well at night. The review by the NTSB pushed me towards LEDs.

I am excited for your upcoming purchase!
Agree, would like black roof and fenders! To answer your questions......well I'm a little on the boring side I guess šŸ˜“.... 95% day to day driving; occasional exploring anticipated; would much rather have manual but I'd be the only one in the family who would be able to drive it (hmmm......maybe a good reason to choose that option!!); some snow, rain expected.

Adding the LED's to the list! Thank you!!
Sponsored

OP
OP

kittykat2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Packages (for Ohio):
1. cold weather
2. Trailer - tow package
3. Safety
4. LED Headlamp kit - yes pricey, but if you cant do it yourself, well worth it.

If you go with an automatic transmission:
1. Get the Selec-trac Full time 4WD system
All noted.....Will do! Thanks!

OP
OP

kittykat2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
We got the One Touch on my wife's jeep last year and I absolutely love it. I get the 'full open air' experience is lost, but the convenience of it is awesome. It looks like Jeep is back to offering the Sun n Sound option on the Willy, which is exactly what we got. Sky One Touch and Alpine system and a few other things. My dream is blue Willy's with the One Touch, we'll see.....
That's the hard part.....I like the convenience. I wish Jeep had a "MyTop" option of it's own!

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
A jeep is the easiest vehicle to learn a manual on, slam it into 4L and they can't kill it while figuring out the clutch.. just drive straight lines unless you on loose dirt. :)

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Hi! Lots of firsts today! First time jeep buyer and first forum :giggle: ever!! Wanted a jeep for as long as I can remember. Turned 50 recently and I'm finally getting one! I've been researching for about 6 months and it's time to bite the bullet. Just need a little help from the wiser, more experienced owners out there. Yes, I'm old enough to know when I don't know everything (don't tell my kids)!

I'll be getting a Willys (Firecracker Red). Originally I was sold on the one touch power roof (for ease of opening) but deep down, I've always wanted the option to have the top completely down. I like the convenience of the one touch button though. I am leaning toward getting a soft top and replacing it with a MyTop. I haven't come across any similar products by any other manufacturers. I'd love to hear from anyone who has a MyTop (or competitor version); good, bad, regrets? I've read that the windows tend to scratch easily. True, not true? Can you still use cargo space in back with MyTop down?

Next, there are so many options for running boards/side steps (single long step, two smaller steps, nerf bars, tube steps, etc) jeep manufactured, after market purchases.... I'm on the short side so I definitely want some sort of step. Suggestions? Or, is it just a preference thing really?

Any packages you'd highly recommend (upgraded audio, safety packages, etc)? Any other suggestions? Am I too old for a jeep (had to ask.....my husband is not a fan of this decision!!!)

Truly appreciate your thoughts!!
Congrats on turning 50! Youā€™re never too old for a Jeep! I turn 50 in October and decided this would be the year Iā€™d finally pull the trigger. I didnā€™t place an order for mine, and I got pretty lucky. I was looking for a Sport Altitude. I woke up on a Saturday morning at the end of June, found one at a local dealer and basically did the whole deal through text and picked it up Monday morning. I was lucky because of the inventory shortage and also lucky that my company is part of the FCA Affiliate program, so I saved a few bucks. Mine is basically loaded with every option except the 8.4 radio and proximity key. I have the factory LED lights (front and rear), both safety packages (BSM was a must have for me) and the Cold Weather package. The other important thing to me was the engine as well as I wanted the 3.6L. I have done some mods already in the 6 weeks of ownership and itā€™s real easy to get carried away real fast!! Good luck and hope you donā€™t have to wait too long for your Jeep!

70596AE4-11C5-4E46-8DBB-FD24FFAB007C.jpeg

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

A note on the cold weather package - obviously this is handy in colder climates, but if you're going to be road-tripping, it's also nice to have. The heat can really make those multiple-hour driving stretches easier on your back.

The pink color they mentioned is Tuscadero - there are a few threads on here with photos

Tellurian

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Wrangler JLUR Ocean Blue (MT); ā€˜20 Grand Cherokee White; ā€˜12 Volvo C30 (MT)
Occupation
Analyst
So jealous of that first Jeep feeling. For me at least, buying my Jeep was the first time I bought a vehicle that really embodied my personality and sense of adventure. My cars get me from A to B. My Jeep helps me explore everywhere in between.

Iā€™m up in VT and the Cold Weather package is something Iā€™m really glad I added to my order. Having that heated steering wheel come on after a long day out in the snow makes the drive home (or further out) more enjoyable. No remote start for me as mine is a 6spd but if you park outside and not in a garage, itā€™s lux.

I also second the LED package. The brightness they provide is great and I noticed quite a difference when test driving with LED vs halogen.

I donā€™t think youā€™re wrong to go with either roof option as they all have pros and cons.

I also like the proximity locks. The key fob is the size of a pinewood derby car and not having to fish for it is nice, especially when coming back hikes, bike rides, etc. Itā€™s a creature comfort.

Congrats and welcome to the forum!

ā€¦never too old!

o||4xe||o

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe
The pink color they mentioned is Tuscadero - there are a few threads on here with photos
Do search for other photos/threads, but here's an example:
Jeep Wrangler JL Ready to place my order!! B8ED587F-8772-4646-AF6A-4F170D14BA0C

*in general, not directed at anyone in particular

Darcer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Accord
We got the One Touch on my wife's jeep last year and I absolutely love it. I get the 'full open air' experience is lost, but the convenience of it is awesome. It looks like Jeep is back to offering the Sun n Sound option on the Willy, which is exactly what we got. Sky One Touch and Alpine system and a few other things. My dream is blue Willy's with the One Touch, we'll see.....
I did not know you could get the one touch on a Willys. Thought it was currently Sahara and Rubicon. Thanks for posting this info. Do you know if the 2022s will have this option?

CMF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 2021 SAHARA (that my wife lets me drive on the weekends..sometimes.)
I did not know you could get the one touch on a Willys. Thought it was currently Sahara and Rubicon. Thanks for posting this info. Do you know if the 2022s will have this option?
Currently on Build and Price, you can get the One Touch on the Willys 4 dr if you get the SUN AND SOUND package. Build and Price won't give you the option of the One Touch on the Willys if you don't order that package. I'd assume its available on the 22 for now, but they do have a tendency to remove it sometimes. I'd check with a dealer.

Sponsored

Darcer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Accord
Currently on Build and Price, you can get the One Touch on the Willys 4 dr if you get the SUN AND SOUND package. Build and Price won't give you the option of the One Touch on the Willys if you don't order that package. I'd assume its available on the 22 for now, but they do have a tendency to remove it sometimes. I'd check with a dealer.
Really good to know, I have been meaning to make a thread very similar to this one. Wasnā€™t sure if I wanted a lower trim + mytop or higher trim with one touch. Willys with One Touch would solve this. I have to say as a Honda driver for multiple vehicles, all the available options on Wranglers are very confusing.

Hotspots

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S 2-Door
Hi! Lots of firsts today! First time jeep buyer and first forum :giggle: ever!! Wanted a jeep for as long as I can remember. Turned 50 recently and I'm finally getting one! I've been researching for about 6 months and it's time to bite the bullet. Just need a little help from the wiser, more experienced owners out there. Yes, I'm old enough to know when I don't know everything (don't tell my kids)!

I'll be getting a Willys (Firecracker Red). Originally I was sold on the one touch power roof (for ease of opening) but deep down, I've always wanted the option to have the top completely down. I like the convenience of the one touch button though. I am leaning toward getting a soft top and replacing it with a MyTop. I haven't come across any similar products by any other manufacturers. I'd love to hear from anyone who has a MyTop (or competitor version); good, bad, regrets? I've read that the windows tend to scratch easily. True, not true? Can you still use cargo space in back with MyTop down?

Next, there are so many options for running boards/side steps (single long step, two smaller steps, nerf bars, tube steps, etc) jeep manufactured, after market purchases.... I'm on the short side so I definitely want some sort of step. Suggestions? Or, is it just a preference thing really?

Any packages you'd highly recommend (upgraded audio, safety packages, etc)? Any other suggestions? Am I too old for a jeep (had to ask.....my husband is not a fan of this decision!!!)

Truly appreciate your thoughts!!
Welcome to the forum! :D

1. You're never too old for a Jeep! Also I agree with the previous comments, your husband may be on the fence now, but soon he'll be asking for the keys or maybe going to the store and "just taking the Jeep because it was already out." For real, they are fun no matter who you are.

2. I like the red option with the Willys. Personally, I think seeing the 4-Door on Sahara or up is too much red (no offense to anyone who has one, just my opinion). But the Willys has the black face and MIC black fenders, its a good look without looking like a Fire Chief from the local department haha! You mentioned the Tuscadero Pink color though? That could also look good on a WIllys, though your husband may not want to drive that one (or maybe thats the point!!)

3. Packages are the real question here! Lots of options so I'll just jump right in!

TOP: The 1-touch power top is great for convenience, especially if you want the luxury feel rather than the rugged feel. I am personally a fan of the hardtop, but it is HEAVY. You definitely need a lift system in the garage or two strong individuals to get the back off. I also live in Ohio, by the way! I would only recommend the soft top if its a summer-only vehicle. The winters are harsh up here and the soft top will only last a few winters if left on year round. My dad has a JL as well and puts the hardtop on in the winter and soft-top in the summer. Every time we swap it takes a whole afternoon. He's got a factory hardtop and a Bestop soft top.

Steps: Side steps are fantastic. I'm in my 20's and even I use them. If you, your husband, or kiddos know how to turn a wrench, definitely get a pair from online (ExtremeTerrain is a popular site). If not, then the factory ones are a great option too, just a bit more money because they do it for you.

Lights: Go for the LED Headlight Package. You will thank me the first time you drive at night. The Willys trim comes standard with the package though. :)

Locks: Proximity sensor locks/unlocks is great to have, but not needed. My previous car had them and it was great, but I opted out of it for my Jeep. $650 seemed a bit steep for not needing to pull out your keys every time. If you constantly are carrying bags/boxes, it may be worth it.

Sound System: The 8.4in touchscreen comes as a package deal with the sound system. It's a steep price, but very very nice. I got it in mine, but I am a big music fan. I noticed the upgrade, my dad noticed it, my mom not so much. To each's own.

P.S. If you get the 1-touch power top, it comes with the upgraded sound system and 8.4in screen. It's a giant package deal :)

Towing: Wranglers are not exactly known for their towing. If your family doesn't have a vehicle with a tow hitch, I'd go for it. If you have anything else that has a hitch, then it's probably not worth the money. The max towing on this vehicle is not very high and it can't tow anything bigger than a small trailer or some bikes. , however the towing package does come with the center console auxiliary switches and upgraded alternator. So if you plan on towing light trailers, a bike rack, or adding additional modifications that require power or wiring, it is probably worth it. If you don't plan on doing any of that, I would save the cash and put it towards something else :) I can say I'm glad I got it and my dad regrets not getting it.

Safety: Do you consider yourself a good driver? If yes, you're fine. If no, go for it. A decade ago we didn't have all these safety features and people got around just fine. Just remember to look twice and give people their space and you'll be fine :)

Cold Weather Package: From one Ohioan to another, get yourself those butt warmers!

Glass: There is also a gorilla glass option for the front windshield for only $95. It's not on the website, but your dealership can add it for you. It's an upgraded windshield that is supposed to be more crack resistant than the stock one (it's 52% thicker glass). If you only city drive, then it's probably not a huge deal, but if you highway drive or plan on using the trails then it may save you a new windshield at some point. Either way, I would recommend this as well :)

Last edited:

LostSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
future JLUR
Towing: Wranglers are not exactly known for their towing. If your family doesn't have a vehicle with a tow hitch, I'd go for it. If you have anything else that has a hitch, then it's probably not worth the money. The max towing on this vehicle is not very high and it can't tow anything bigger than a small trailer or some bikes.

The value of the towing is in the Auxillary switches and upgraded alternator. That being said, having the receiver there plus the 4/7 wiring and pins for any light trailering, or bike rack or carry basket, is beneficial as well. Yes one can do it themselves, but value your time.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Towing: Wranglers are not exactly known for their towing. If your family doesn't have a vehicle with a tow hitch, I'd go for it. If you have anything else that has a hitch, then it's probably not worth the money. The max towing on this vehicle is not very high and it can't tow anything bigger than a small trailer or some bikes.

The value of the towing is in the Auxillary switches and upgraded alternator. That being said, having the receiver there plus the 4/7 wiring and pins for any light trailering, or bike rack or carry basket, is beneficial as well. Yes one can do it themselves, but value your time.
Agreed. I added an aftermarket hitch receiver and spliced the wiring harness into a taillight. About halfway through, and with buckets of sweat pooling on the driveway as I laid on my back under the Jeep, I decided that I made a mistake in not bucking up for the $750 tow option. Maybe I saved a few hundred bucks, but I was SWEATING, it cost me a few hours of my life, and I still don't have the switches and better alternator.

Hotspots

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S 2-Door
That is a fantastic point and I do agree with it. That's actually the primary reason why I got the package with my build. I have another vehicle with a hitch already, but opted for the towing package for the auxiliary switches and upgraded alternator because I know down the road I'll be thankful. So I suppose I'll rephrase this...

Towing: Wranglers are not exactly known for their towing, however the towing package does come with the center console auxiliary switches and upgraded alternator. So if you plan on towing light trailers, a bike rack, or adding additional modifications that require power or wiring, it is probably worth it. If you don't plan on doing any of that, I would save the cash and put it towards something else :) I can say I'm glad I got it and my dad regrets not getting it.

Also thank you @csjlu for adding your input as well. So that sounds like 3 people giving the towing package a thumbs up!
Sponsored