Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Rubicon, Ocean Blue, 6spd
Occupation
Real Estate
Hello Fellow Jeepers,

Long time Jeep owner here but havent posted in this forum for a looong time. Anywho, I am looking to trade in my 2009 JKU Sahara for a new 2018 JLU. Im pretty pumped because this will be my first new car, so I definitely plan on doing this right. My plan is to get a highly optioned Rubi, or possibly Sahara (to be determined after I drive both of them) in 6spd and Ocean Blue. I have a few questions and I would love your input.

1) Are there any go-to dealerships in or around Chicago that are recommended for best pricing and great service? Ive already priced this beast over $50K and with our high sales tax, its going to get ugly quick.
2) Will dealers sell below invoice? These are such popular vehicles I can see them being pretty firm on their pricing but I wont by unless I feel that im getting a good deal.
3) Does anyone have a JLU Ocean Blue with body colored hard top? Id love to see how it looks.
4) Id like opinions on the comfort of the daily drive for the Sahara vs Rubicon. Is the stiffer suspension of the Rubicon annoying to those that live in urban areas with uneven driving surfaces, like potholes?

Thanks everyone!
Simon
Sponsored

woop

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord V6
Hi Simon. You are not alone :) I'm hunting for my bold red Sahara in Chicagoland too. Have you visited any dealerships already? I've been to Marino and Sherman (in Skokie). To tell the truth, didn't like either of them.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Hello Fellow Jeepers,

Long time Jeep owner here but havent posted in this forum for a looong time. Anywho, I am looking to trade in my 2009 JKU Sahara for a new 2018 JLU. Im pretty pumped because this will be my first new car, so I definitely plan on doing this right. My plan is to get a highly optioned Rubi, or possibly Sahara (to be determined after I drive both of them) in 6spd and Ocean Blue. I have a few questions and I would love your input.

1) Are there any go-to dealerships in or around Chicago that are recommended for best pricing and great service? Ive already priced this beast over $50K and with our high sales tax, its going to get ugly quick.
2) Will dealers sell below invoice? These are such popular vehicles I can see them being pretty firm on their pricing but I wont by unless I feel that im getting a good deal.
3) Does anyone have a JLU Ocean Blue with body colored hard top? Id love to see how it looks.
4) Id like opinions on the comfort of the daily drive for the Sahara vs Rubicon. Is the stiffer suspension of the Rubicon annoying to those that live in urban areas with uneven driving surfaces, like potholes?

Thanks everyone!
Simon
All of the Chicago area dealers in the City have higher overhead and many have lazy staff. They don't have to work to earn your business because they have a captive audience of 3 million people. The population is shrinking though. IL-Chicago is loosing residents due to high taxes and poor government. I'd consider looking outside the City limits to dealers who want to earn your business and have lower overhead. I'd even consider dealers in WI and IN depending on where you live in the Chicago area. The national trend is about 6% under invoice with Tread Lightly or other affiliated membership. Forum member Chicago ordered from Tyson in Shorewood IL for 6% under invoice. He worked with Jason Beltran there. I plan on contacting him soon to see what he will do. I have had a good experience with Zeigler in Schaumburg back in 2014 when I bought a '15 Freedom Ed. but not sure how they are today. By good experience I mean no BS, fair pricing, respectful, competent sales and service staff. I will give them a chance also.

I don't plan on anything more than touring a lot National Parks and mild trails so either a Sahara or Rubicon would be more than what I would use them for. Even a Sport would be more then enough to be honest. I drove both a Sahara and Rubicon, back to back. Both automatics with hard tops. I drove on City streets with potholes, speed bumps, on the highway at 60-70mph and on gravel. Neither will drive like a traditional SUV or car. Both had vague on-center steering feel which is engineered on purpose for it's rock climbing abilities. The new automatic was much better then the '15 JK. The Rubicon seemed firmer suspension wise. It felt better to me then the Sahara over the potholes. This only my opinion and it is very subjective. My friend liked the Sahara more. I was surprised at how quiet the Rubicon was compared to the Sahara. There seem to be more cabin noise. It's possible the roof was not sealed as well on one? Or one had Active Noise Cancellation and the Acoustic windshield? I was also very surprised at how quiet the Rubicon KO2 tires were. The salesperson and a friend who was with me thought the Rubicon was quieter also. Really wished I paid more attention during the test drives. I plan on driving them both again soon. Hopefully the 2-doors will be out then. They are not making 2-door Saharas so my decision will be easier. The new JL is a lot nicer then the '15 JK I drove, you can't go wrong with either. Go drive them both back to back.

Last edited:

unclebuck-pa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Hard Rock, 2010 VW GTI, 2013 Audi Q5
I had an excellent experience @ Fields when I bought my '15 JKU Hard Rock. I traveled in from PA and drove it home (long story). Brian Gerber was my sales guy. Highly recommended.

Sponsored

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
Hi Simon. You are not alone :) I'm hunting for my bold red Sahara in Chicagoland too. Have you visited any dealerships already? I've been to Marino and Sherman (in Skokie). To tell the truth, didn't like either of them.
Tyson in Sherwood near Joliet 6% under invoice no hassles

woop

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord V6
Thank you so much for the hint. Wrangler is something I've been dreaming about for toooo long. However, I'm afraid even with a good deal - it still could be too much for me. Do you think price might go down (at the end of the year for instance) or in case of wranglers it won't be much anyway? Probably I'll go to Shorewood over the weekend and check for myself.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
Thank you so much for the hint. Wrangler is something I've been dreaming about for toooo long. However, I'm afraid even with a good deal - it still could be too much for me. Do you think price might go down (at the end of the year for instance) or in case of wranglers it won't be much anyway? Probably I'll go to Shorewood over the weekend and check for myself.
From what I read they hold their value very well top 3 of all vehicles, so buying used you will still pay high , my Rubicon loaded with turbo engine was 50 grand without tax , he will give u 6 % under invoice or about 121/2 under MSRP

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
From what I read they hold their value very well top 3 of all vehicles, so buying used you will still pay high , my Rubicon loaded with turbo engine was 50 grand without tax , he will give u 6 % under invoice or about 121/2 under MSRP
Tell jason Rich sent you

Sponsored

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Prices won’t go down only up. There are no incentives and I don’t anticipate any. These things sell themselves buyers don’t need incentives to still get them. We already witnessed $750 increase on rubicon’s.

Even if you get a stripped down sport S you’ll love it.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
Prices won’t go down only up. There are no incentives and I don’t anticipate any. These things sell themselves buyers don’t need incentives to still get them. We already witnessed $750 increase on rubicon’s.

Even if you get a stripped down sport S you’ll love it.
I agree

woop

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord V6
Thanks for all the info. Also, I want to get a soft top. Does anyone have an experience of having soft top during our winters? How was it?

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
What's the best resource to find invoice pricing on a new Wrangler built with various options? Thanks in advance.
C51B2516-75A2-4484-9439-B616EEA183B9.png
Sponsored