Sponsored

Ready or not... 2020 High Altitude JL / JLU build & price is here

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
The one thing that concerns me about the non-functional Wrangler versions (eg high altitude as opposed to willys) is that the more market share they take up, the more Jeep will cater to them (and then you end up like Land Rover). I don't care that they exist per se, but I sure hope they don't compromise the Wrangler long term.
There are people who say that about all 4 door models. That a real Jeep is 2 door and 4 doors ruined the brand. But the 4 doors sell like hot cakes, and because of economies of scale, that brings the price down on all Jeeps including the 2 door.

Anything they can do to increase wrangler sales is a good thing for all wrangler owners.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys “Edition” TBD Mar 2021
Just FYI here:

It pans the tires (on a diesel) as Bridgestone H/L - Alenza I assume though there are several "flavors" of them on tire rack. Could be a special tire build for the HA, too. Kind of irrelevant per your plans, But I haven't been able to find a 35" AT/MT in 20 that's not a E tire.

Pete

That was my thinking exactly. I was very close to getting a Sahara off the lot when these High Altitude trims became available to order at damn near the same price. Plus I got the upgraded interior and I really like the color matched options.

Ordering worked better anyway since the color that I wanted wasn’t at any nearby dealers with the options I wanted.

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The one thing that concerns me about the non-functional Wrangler versions (eg high altitude as opposed to willys) is that the more market share they take up, the more Jeep will cater to them (and then you end up like Land Rover). I don't care that they exist per se, but I sure hope they don't compromise the Wrangler long term.
Agree 100%. I grew up around Land Rover Defenders in Asia and Middle East. Always wanted one in the camel trophy yellow. I got myself a yellow Wrangler instead, knowing what they did to the new Defender. I really hope the Wrangler doesn't become that way. It is one of the last proper convertible off-roaders still available. The on-road steering can always be improved, other than that nothing else needs to change. I wish there was more competition and more choices for pure off-roaders, I don't know how the Bronco will be, but I don't think it has solid axles in both front and rear.

Mike_1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
Just FYI here:

It pans the tires (on a diesel) as Bridgestone H/L - Alenza I assume though there are several "flavors" of them on tire rack. Could be a special tire build for the HA, too. Kind of irrelevant per your plans, But I haven't been able to find a 35" AT/MT in 20 that's not a E tire.

Pete
I second that as well. Most of the 35’s that I’ve seen are E rated at that size. I’ll have to do some serious research when choosing the correct tires.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I, I... I can't unsee this. If they offer it in Snazzberry, I will buy one and burn it in effigy.

Rubicon Forever! Mine crushes it in the Target parking lot. Plus, all the major attention I get at the McDonald's drive thru. No way a High Altitude would be as capable when ordering Happy Meals. I even took the muffler off so I would sound as bad ass as I so clearly am.

All sarcasm aside, I ain't buying one, but if it's your thing, it's your dime (or 500,000 dimes). I might even wave at ya. I'm still waiting for the special edition Rubicon Hybrid, so if that's not a contradiction in terms, I don't know what is.

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
As a valet, all I’m seeing is a cheaper G-Wagon that people are going to turn into pavement princesses either way.

I bet it’ll sell though, especially here in miami.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Meh, to each their own. It's your money. Do what you want with it. I think all Jeeps are pretty cool because they have the personality of the owner. That's what truly makes us Jeepers unique. We enjoy our Jeeps no matter what roads we choose :like:

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
Looks like gearing is 3.73. Does that mean it has the M200 and M220 axles?

I think it’s cool that Jeep offers many trims. Jeep appeals to everyone. That’s a good thing. My other favorite brand, Harley, should follow what Jeep does. Maybe they wouldn’t be in such trouble.

OP
OP

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I think it’s cool that Jeep offers many trims. Jeep appeals to everyone. That’s a good thing. My other favorite brand, Harley, should follow what Jeep does. Maybe they wouldn’t be in such trouble.
Well, that's certainly what the online configurator suggests, but I have my doubts since 3.73 has been associated with the diesel. It would be nice though. The detailed model comparison (snip below) is not exactly a go to for accuracy either. Someone with some insider chops needs to get the real answer to this.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ready or not... 2020 High Altitude JL / JLU build & price is here Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 09.42.01

Sponsored

Mike_1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL

The High Altitude comes standard with the following: Dana M210 Wide HD Tube Front Axle/Dana M220 Wide Rear Axle.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
The High Altitude comes standard with the following: Dana M210 Wide HD Tube Front Axle/Dana M220 Wide Rear Axle.
So it's Sahara-based. Makes sense given the front bumper, color-matched fenders, color matched hard top, etc.

OP
OP

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Interesting...so the same wide axels as the Rubi...I'll just then assume that the offset/backspace o
So it's Sahara-based. Makes sense given the front bumper, color-matched fenders, color matched hard top, etc.

Yeah or more like a Sarahcon (tm) or Rubihara (tm)...I believe that means the axles and tubes - the M210/M220 wide - are the same as on the Rubicon though the rest of the running gear is Sahara.

That extra two or so inches - one inch per side - could explain how they dealt with the location of the inner edge of the 275/55r20 tire and why in pics the outside of the tire seems pretty well lined up to me with the outside fender. If that's true then wider/taller tires within reason will be fine on stock rims, but may stick out a little. I wish Mike's rig would be delivered soon ;-)

I am totally unsure about this, but the 20X8 wheel may have close to the same offset (45mm) but slightly larger BS (6.3" vs 6.0") due to the extra 1/2" in rim width. Or maybe same BS and smaller offset.

OP
OP

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I probably missed this in the posted 2020 order guide where the High Altitude debuted, but in the 2021 order guide just posted order code DME is 3.73 gearing as part of the HA package including the wider front and rear axles as mentioned above.

Still no Snazzberr. And the interior stitching is caramel.
Sponsored