First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What is this?... Ugliness!!!?

Jeep Wrangler JL Ready or not... 2020 High Altitude JL / JLU build & price is here zoolander
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I’ve been buying Wranglers for 10+ years, so by now I know what works for me. If I were new to Jeeps, I don’t know I’d want to navigate through 13 different versions to figure out what I need. Ridiculous.
This implies that folks actually know what they want a Jeep for. Many, perhaps most, buyers don’t. They have a reason for buying a Jeep and they also have a dream/vision/fantasy for wanting to buy one. But, with 13 variants (many within a few grand of each other), where do you start? Confusing customers with a whole boatload of variants can often result in fewer sales overall.

i agree with you guys on this. the folk that just want a wrangler because its cool tend to go for the apperance of the jeep aka mall crawler.. but the other side of jeepers will buy a jeep base on functions. i personally dont buy anything for appearance. i rather spend the money on the functional aspect of a vehicle.

a buddy of mine and i went to a auto show and looked around all the new model year vehicles. he noticed how fast i i turned down every vehicles and only looked at certain one that fits my style. so i explained to him what i look for. example, there was 2 different style of wrangler sitting side by side. one was a sahara and the other was a rubicon. my buddy like the sahara because it fits him as for "luxury". i choose the rubicon due to the functional aspect. i explain the different between the two and why i rather spend the money on the rubi. but also explained that both are great 4x4s and will handle the trails without any issues. so he gets it on what i look for and how to maximize the money on one thing and save money on the other side of things.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
i agree with you guys on this. the folk that just want a wrangler because its cool tend to go for the apperance of the jeep aka mall crawler.. but the other side of jeepers will buy a jeep base on functions. i personally dont buy anything for appearance. i rather spend the money on the functional aspect of a vehicle.

a buddy of mine and i went to a auto show and looked around all the new model year vehicles. he noticed how fast i i turned down every vehicles and only looked at certain one that fits my style. so i explained to him what i look for. example, there was 2 different style of wrangler sitting side by side. one was a sahara and the other was a rubicon. my buddy like the sahara because it fits him as for "luxury". i choose the rubicon due to the functional aspect. i explain the different between the two and why i rather spend the money on the rubi. but also explained that both are great 4x4s and will handle the trails without any issues. so he gets it on what i look for and how to maximize the money on one thing and save money on the other side of things.
yep.

now put 13 of them side by side and see if your buddy looks, pokes, ponders, and then quickly walks away utterly confused by which is which is what is how Is luxury.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
yep.

now put 13 of them side by side and see if your buddy looks, pokes, ponders, and then quickly walks away utterly confused by which is which is what is how Is luxury.
to be honest he would do pretty good in picking one out out of the 13. with my help, he would narrow it down to 3 or 5 wranglers and start asking for my advice on the different options / packages.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
yep.

That's what dealers are for. Confusion is their best customer. Confusion gets them a few hundred to a few thousand more in profit on every vehicle.

Sponsored

KevOh93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Industrial Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
to be honest he would do pretty good in picking one out out of the 13. with my help, he would narrow it down to 3 or 5 wranglers and start asking for my advice on the different options / packages.
exactly what i said, once you -> know <- what you want to do with it, it narrows it down a lot. Its not like youre gonna randomly walk into a jeep dealership to look at wranglers and then discover its confusing...

You see the car, you like it, you get info about it, you make the decision that you would like to buy one, by then you already know what you need and what you dont need. The you go online, configure and go to the dealership to order.

KevOh93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Industrial Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
I understand your point. However, I think that it is just as likely that NO sale happens as the customer, overwhelmed With choices, just walks out (or never even walks in after looking at Jeep.com).....In my opinion, if ”abject confusion” made dealers and Auto manufacturers more money, we would see 13 Camry variants and 13 Accord variants each highly customizable. In fact, we would see 13 variants of every vehicle made, right?
I see a hell of a lot more jeeps on the road than accords or camrys. Well here in the south anyway... maybe they should habe 13 variants ‍

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Sales speak for themselves.
I am sure youre great at your job. Jeeps marketing people know what they are doing with theirs.
jeep used to be the country mans ride. Now you see all kind of yappies driving them.
Jeep is selling, it must work.
100% agree...... it is working..... for now...... and Camry’s outsell wranglers by about 100k units per year I think.

it will be interesting to see when Jeep adds a hybrid.... will they add three versions of it and bring the total up to 16 versions? Or, will they cut some of the current versions. Excluding hybrids, I think there is something like 8 or 9 camry’s on the market.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
All you have to do is ignore all the "special" editions. Sport, Sahara, or Rubicon depending on what you desire. The rest are just clutter.

What struck me most is the 3.6 Pentastar is now a $1,250 option. They're really pushing those turbos hard now!

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
All you have to do is ignore all the "special" editions. Sport, Sahara, or Rubicon depending on what you desire. The rest are just clutter.

What struck me most is the 3.6 Pentastar is now a $1,250 option. They're really pushing those turbos hard now!
agreed.

your choice of the word “clutter” describes how I just started thinking about it. I am new to Jeeps. When I started looking there was Sport, Sport S, Sahara, Rubicon, and one “special edition” — the Moab. As a newbie, with my goals in mind, I did not want a sport but I had to go back and forth with the Sahara, Rubicon, and Moab. It was a lot of thinking and considering and info gathering. With all these new special Editions, I would have found it hard to sort through them all and quite the turnoff.

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The one thing that concerns me about the non-functional Wrangler versions (eg high altitude as opposed to willys) is that the more market share they take up, the more Jeep will cater to them (and then you end up like Land Rover). I don't care that they exist per se, but I sure hope they don't compromise the Wrangler long term.

Myka L

First Name
Myka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I like the special editions. The buyer that walks into a dealership clueless will not be confused, he will not care. That buyer is looking at what looks good and/or drives good. He may want a particular feature and if the jeep has it, an edition name will not matter, it may even add some pinache.

The buyer who researches will often find the editions are good deals if the edition has a lot of features that he wanted anyway.

The only issue is what happens to regular "altitude" owners, will they now be called "low altitude."

Mike_1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
I like the special editions. The buyer that walks into a dealership clueless will not be confused, he will not care. That buyer is looking at what looks good and/or drives good. He may want a particular feature and if the jeep has it, an edition name will not matter, it may even add some pinache.

The buyer who researches will often find the editions are good deals if the edition has a lot of features that he wanted anyway.

The only issue is what happens to regular "altitude" owners, will they now be called "low altitude."
That was my thinking exactly. I was very close to getting a Sahara off the lot when these High Altitude trims became available to order at damn near the same price. Plus I got the upgraded interior and I really like the color matched options.

Ordering worked better anyway since the color that I wanted wasn’t at any nearby dealers with the options I wanted.
Sponsored