Sponsored

Reaching my breaking point... may consider trading my JLUR

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have wheel spacers or a large wheel offset? My dealer told me that if I go with anything more than a 1 inch offset/wheel spacer, it will wear out the ball joints and bearings very quickly.
Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If this JLUR ran fine for 12,000 miles the problem is a wear item. what happened to the warranty? Ball joint issue can be diagnosed and should be repaired under warranty
I purchased the vehicle new with a Mopar lift and 37’s already installed.
Persevere OP
Bottom line, The dealer needs to warranty what they sold. 12,000 miles is within the warranty implied at the sale unless otherwise expressed. Press the warranty coverage or cover the ball joint replacement yourself.
Sorry to hear you have thrown $4,000 at it already but all was not wasted. I have over 25,000 miles on my ’19 JLR with 37” tires and AEV JL wheels. Like you, I have upgraded all the steering linkage system including your removed Synergy T.B./sector shaft brace. Mine steers beautifully. I will be interested in your Ball Joint findings as a future reference. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
That sounds like quite a pain in the ass journey. I sped thru the 12 pages hoping you found a fix. Sure doesn't sound right.
Mine is a 2018 Rubicon with almost all the work done in my garage by me.

Death wobble twice in stock configuration with less than 1000 miles
Swapped to a simple Rancho stabilizer, no further issue
Installed MetalCloak 3.5 gamechanger w/6paks at 1400 miles
Left stock tires on until 11,000
New Mammoth Boulder beadlock look alike wheels on 35" KO 2's 11,000-44,000
Re geared to 4:88's and put on 37 x 12.50 x 17 Kanati Trail Hogs and broke in to 44,600 and Had Hoopers Rear End change fluid to Castrol Syntax
Just drove 3400 miles from CA to NV, UT, CO, WY, AZ and home zero issues
Home with 49,000 on it. I wish I had kept a mileage record of off road driving but Ill have to guess that it's seen a minimum of 8 thousand off road miles.
Long story to lean towards what is undoubtedly something silly that has been overlooked. Big bummer and a half!
Also, I have had the stock recalled steering stabilizer on since roughly 15,000 miles and the tie rod, drag link, bushings and balljoints are all stock.
I'd love to help if I could, just not sure how to do that!! Sounds like a real challenge.
Vic

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
It's gotta be the balljoints. I mean, there's virtually nothing else to tweak, adjust, or replace. You've done it all.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
if I were forced to get rid of my Wrangler, the only other thing I see myself in would be a Grand Cherokee with a big honking HEMI. [The] WK2 is a handsome truck that has been in production long enough to have had most bugs worked out.
My brother currently has a 2017 WK2 Trailhawk, his fourth Grand Cherokee. It's the nicest rig that he's ever owned, and to date has been trouble-free. 5.7L Hemi, power ashtray, the works.

My wife has a 2016 Grand Cherokee Altitude ecodiesel. It’s been a trouble-free performer for just under 50,000 miles. It used to get 31 mpg on the highway until FCA was forced to reflash it.

Now it has less grunt and fuel economy has dropped to about 28 on the highway, 24 mpg overall, but she still loves it.
My brother's other car, the one he bought new for his wife, is a 2012 Jetta TDI. It's a confirmed cheater car as it relates to VW's non-compliance with established emission programming requirements. Having authenticated the material reduction in fuel mileage and performance on Jetta TDIs that have been reflashed by VW dealers, he's been careful to use independent shops for the annual State safety inspections. It will never see the inside of a dealer service department, so long as he owns it. VW has sent him innumerable letters, almost pleading with him to take his car to them for a "no charge fix".

That's not going to happen.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
My brother currently has a 2017 WK2 Trailhawk, his fourth Grand Cherokee. It's the nicest rig that he's ever owned, and to date has been trouble-free. 5.7L Hemi, power ashtray, the works.

My brother's other car, the one he bought new for his wife, is a 2012 Jetta TDI. It's a confirmed cheater car as it relates to VW's non-compliance with established emission programming requirements. Having authenticated the material reduction in fuel mileage and performance on Jetta TDIs that have been reflashed by VW dealers, he's been careful to use independent shops for the annual State safety inspections. It will never see the inside of a dealer service department, so long as he owns it. VW has sent him innumerable letters, almost pleading with him to take his car to them for a "no charge fix".

That's not going to happen.
a friend of mine got a $7,000 check in the mail for his VW as part of the settlement deal

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
YouTube channel JL Life Offroad swapped to new Spicer all metal/greaseable ball joints earlier this year. I think it’s a relatively recent release still. Anyway, he said they had death wobble until they did that fwiw.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Are the JL balljoints the same as they were in the JK?

maddmaxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlur
I keep thinking the same. I’ve actually removed and replaced new parts. I originally had a synergy steering system and replaced with steer smarts because I was insistent I had a bad part. I’ve been through everything multiple times. Every steering and suspension component has less than 5k miles on it.
Have you installed the synergy sector shaft brace?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Have you installed the synergy sector shaft brace?
Yep. Installed and removed. I personally think it’s a junk product and the customer service was worse. The brace had zero effect on the death wobble. It had subjective effects on steering wander. I removed for the TSB to be performed but I don’t feel it is needed after the TSB.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
My wife and I both had death wobble, replacing the OEM steering dampener with the fox 2.0 stabilizer fixed them both.
It's not fixed, it is hidden by the SS.

This means that:

1) As whatever caused it continues to worsen eventually the SS may not control it.
2) As the SS wears it may not control it any longer.

I'd still work to find out the root cause versus a big bandaid that will eventually fail you.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
YouTube channel JL Life Offroad swapped to new Spicer all metal/greaseable ball joints earlier this year. I think it’s a relatively recent release still. Anyway, he said they had death wobble until they did that fwiw.

I’ve talked to Mo a little about this. It’s what originally got me questioning the ball joints even though they down show movement.

maddmaxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlur
Yep. Installed and removed. I personally think it’s a junk product and the customer service was worse. The brace had zero effect on the death wobble. It had subjective effects on steering wander. I removed for the TSB to be performed but I don’t feel it is needed after the TSB.
I know its a pita, but I do agree with a previous reply to your problem. retorque every damn nut and bolt on the front end if you havent done that yet. Check ball joints and bushings on the control arms as well. Good luck

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Traded mine Sept 30th.
Same issues, different raft.
If it was a project car, different story.
I might wait a few years, buy an older JK, and have fun.
4-5 trips to the dealership in less than a year, no thanks. I need something dependable.
Good luck my man.
Sponsored