Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Im a jeep guy, but must say the new Broncos have my attention.
Same. I have my reservations of the first year release though. Not to mention the difficulty to even get one. I even went and looked at 4runners over the weekend. There were a million in colorado last week and I have to admit they look pretty cool on the trail. Just that the interior, engine and transmission are so outdated. Makes me think the bronco could be a sweet spot. But I bet its still a year before you can find one on a lot that isn't spoken for. Also, has pricing even been released yet? I know base price has, but what about a fully loaded model?
Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Same. I have my reservations of the first year release though. Not to mention the difficulty to even get one. I even went and looked at 4runners over the weekend. There were a million in colorado last week and I have to admit they look pretty cool on the trail. Just that the interior, engine and transmission are so outdated. Makes me think the bronco could be a sweet spot. But I bet its still a year before you can find one on a lot that isn't spoken for. Also, has pricing even been released yet? I know base price has, but what about a fully loaded model?
Build and price coming this Friday

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I think they are on par with wrangler pricing fully optioned. Having owned an 06 superduty with all the common problems associated and a 2014 focus that needed $2k+ in transmission work twice by 150k miles(warranty covered thanks to a class action lawsuit), Ford first gen models terrify me. It would be a round about fix, but ram-assist steering is damn near impervious to death wobble. Expensive, and overkill of you don't wheel in big rocks much, but an option none the less.

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
Get the 4runner. After struggling with the Wrangler's issues myself, it's pretty amazing to just be able to drive a vehicle and not wonder "What's next?". And then, just like a Wrangler, if you decided that you don't love the 4r, just sell it for minimal loss.

I'mma guess first gen Fords aren't going to be much more reliable than the Jeep.

Sponsored

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
May be its sounds stupid, but by the proses of elimination its bushings in upper control arms.
I did not read the whole thread, but in the parts that I read, it was the only thing that OP did not check.
Good luck figuring it out.

EDIT:
Missed NCJL post above, he suggests the same thing.

Mrchams

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Wrangler Rubicon
Not meant to be triggering. But need to just reach out as a last hope, although Iā€™m not expecting any miracles.

I think Iā€™ve reached my breaking point. After 9 months of issues, Iā€™m legit contemplating other vehicle options. Sadly, my JLUR was my dream vehicle and there are not a lot of replacements. But I donā€™t think I have the energy to keep fighting my issues.

After 6 months and about 12k miles, I started having death wobble issues. Since, Iā€™ve replaced every steering and suspension component. Ive reaches out to many forum members for help. Iā€™ve contacted several industry experts via social media. Iā€™ve had the vehicle inspected 4 times locally. Iā€™ve had multiple alignments. Iā€™ve had the tires balanced 3 times. Ive checked the torque specs on every nut and bolt. Iā€™ve had the TSB performed, which helped but has not resolved wobbles. After each repair or change, Iā€™ve experienced a reprieve only for the death wobble to return a few weeks later. Itā€™s now 9 months later and an additional 13k miles.

the wife and I just returned from a 2500 mile trip. During that time, we experienced death wobble 7 times. The rest of the time, we drove in fear of every bump and bridge over pass. This was the first time the wife experienced it and now understands why I havenā€™t been letting her drive it. This is not normal.

I think Iā€™m done. Iā€™ve exhausted all of my resources. Iā€™ve spent around $4,000. Iā€™ve spent numerous hours under the vehicle and researching. I donā€™t have any new ideas and canā€™t keep doing this.

In addition, I have an oil leak somewhere that is burning on the drivers side exhaust manifold. Service department has looked at and denied to resolve. I may have them look at again. The smell is nauseating when the windows down and reminds me of my ā€˜90 YJ that leaked a quart of oil every 3k miles.

Also, on our trip, the Uconnect started rebooting randomly. First time itā€™s ever done that in 23k miles. No reason I can find but Iā€™ve heard of others having similar issues

In the future, what do I get to look forward to? Apparently my lockers can quit working at any point. Itā€™s likely Iā€™ll have corrosion issues around my hinges and aluminum doors. What else?

Iā€™m tired. Might start looking at stupid Toyota 4runners. Theyā€™re outdated and boring, but at least I can drive 70 on the interstate and not be in fear. Thatā€™s worth something.
In a last ditch attempt in fixing your wobbles I would replace the steering box with the new version they released a few months ago.
Ive heard many positive reports about this replacement for this exact problem.
Whether or not Jeep with do under warranty is anyoneā€™s guess.

All the best with what ever you choose to do.
P.S The bronco might be a nice alternative.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think they are on par with wrangler pricing fully optioned. Having owned an 06 superduty with all the common problems associated and a 2014 focus that needed $2k+ in transmission work twice by 150k miles(warranty covered thanks to a class action lawsuit), Ford first gen models terrify me. It would be a round about fix, but ram-assist steering is damn near impervious to death wobble. Expensive, and overkill of you don't wheel in big rocks much, but an option none the less.
Anytime an manufacturer does "industry first" advancements, I'm always nervous. Wasn't ford the first to have aluminum corrosion issues in their '15 F150s? I had a '15 but I never had any issues with mine. Ram assist steering is in the running of fixes. Like you said, not cheap and definitely overkill for me. I feel like if I go that route, i'm "in it" for the long haul. With other potential issues looming and already having a bad taste in my mouth... I need to give it all some thought before I do anything.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you replace the upper control arm bushings on the front axle?
I have not. I did wonder about that at one point. I don't see where you can find replacements for those bushings. Nor have I seen literally anyone replace or upgrade those bushing. I did use a pry bar to try to get some movement in the connection after I torqued the new control arms to spec. I can't see where there is what I would call "excessive" movement. I would expect the bushing to provide some movement though under force.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
May be its sounds stupid, but by the proses of elimination its bushings in upper control arms.
I did not read the whole thread, but in the parts that I read, it was the only thing that OP did not check.
Good luck figuring it out.

EDIT:
Missed NCJL post above, he suggests the same thing.
This is a good question. I did use a pry bar to check for movement. Maybe I should compare to another JL and see how much they move. Do you know of anyone that sells a replacement bushing? are those pressed in or how does that work? I've literally never seen anyone replace that bushing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In a last ditch attempt in fixing your wobbles I would replace the steering box with the new version they released a few months ago.
Ive heard many positive reports about this replacement for this exact problem.
Whether or not Jeep with do under warranty is anyoneā€™s guess.

All the best with what ever you choose to do.
P.S The bronco might be a nice alternative.
Thanks! Steering box has also been replaced. it 100% resolved any loose/wondering issues. I had hopes it would also take care of DW as well. It definitely made it less violent but no luck on the cure. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear about your issues...

I think I saw this was aftermarket? I've had an '18 JLUR with 35s for over 2 years and 27k miles. Regularly drive I-40 at 90 plus following traffic down to the coast. I've never had an issue except dead battery and rear defrost connector falling off.

I'm bad about upgrading stuff and then having issues. It is very frustrating. Usually problems arise with the parts or installation or both. This is my 6th or 7th Jeep.

If one runs fine and the other not and the only difference is one is stock and one not...the other thing I have seen is some Jeeps with the DW have a faulty assembly in the steering system. I did research last year in case I developed it and it had something to do with a steering component not being fully seated at the factory.

Luckysin13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport
Not meant to be triggering. But need to just reach out as a last hope, although Iā€™m not expecting any miracles.

I think Iā€™ve reached my breaking point. After 9 months of issues, Iā€™m legit contemplating other vehicle options. Sadly, my JLUR was my dream vehicle and there are not a lot of replacements. But I donā€™t think I have the energy to keep fighting my issues.

After 6 months and about 12k miles, I started having death wobble issues. Since, Iā€™ve replaced every steering and suspension component. Ive reaches out to many forum members for help. Iā€™ve contacted several industry experts via social media. Iā€™ve had the vehicle inspected 4 times locally. Iā€™ve had multiple alignments. Iā€™ve had the tires balanced 3 times. Ive checked the torque specs on every nut and bolt. Iā€™ve had the TSB performed, which helped but has not resolved wobbles. After each repair or change, Iā€™ve experienced a reprieve only for the death wobble to return a few weeks later. Itā€™s now 9 months later and an additional 13k miles.

the wife and I just returned from a 2500 mile trip. During that time, we experienced death wobble 7 times. The rest of the time, we drove in fear of every bump and bridge over pass. This was the first time the wife experienced it and now understands why I havenā€™t been letting her drive it. This is not normal.

I think Iā€™m done. Iā€™ve exhausted all of my resources. Iā€™ve spent around $4,000. Iā€™ve spent numerous hours under the vehicle and researching. I donā€™t have any new ideas and canā€™t keep doing this.

In addition, I have an oil leak somewhere that is burning on the drivers side exhaust manifold. Service department has looked at and denied to resolve. I may have them look at again. The smell is nauseating when the windows down and reminds me of my ā€˜90 YJ that leaked a quart of oil every 3k miles.

Also, on our trip, the Uconnect started rebooting randomly. First time itā€™s ever done that in 23k miles. No reason I can find but Iā€™ve heard of others having similar issues

In the future, what do I get to look forward to? Apparently my lockers can quit working at any point. Itā€™s likely Iā€™ll have corrosion issues around my hinges and aluminum doors. What else?

Iā€™m tired. Might start looking at stupid Toyota 4runners. Theyā€™re outdated and boring, but at least I can drive 70 on the interstate and not be in fear. Thatā€™s worth something.

2425326E-4BBD-4240-84C6-7E979294A36B.jpeg
Sorry to hear Mike, I hope you get it fixed!

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear that youā€™re having so many issues. It just sounds like too many hassles to deal with. These things are not cheap and it should meet a certain expectation. Just get rid of it. You will be happier with a different vehicle. The Bronco is coming out soon and almost the same price. Good luck.
Sponsored