Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Traded mine Sept 30th.
Same issues, different raft.
If it was a project car, different story.
I might wait a few years, buy an older JK, and have fun.
4-5 trips to the dealership in less than a year, no thanks. I need something dependable.
Good luck my man.
What did you get?
Sponsored

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I looked quickly at the replies and recommendations over the last 12 pages but I donā€™t believe I see where you took it to a reputable off-road shop to be looked at. Have you tried that instead of the dealership and random social media peeps?

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I looked quickly at the replies and recommendations over the last 12 pages but I donā€™t believe I see where you took it to a reputable off-road shop to be looked at. Have you tried that instead of the dealership and random social media peeps?
Yeah, so Iā€™ve taken to 2 shops. Because of where I live (Iowa) not a ton of great 4 wheel drive shops. But I did get recommendations from the Iowa Jeep club and the Nebraska Jeep club. Took it to a highly recommended Jeep mechanic in Des Moines where I live. I got a second opinion 2.5 hours away in Omaha, Nebraska. The Nebraska shop was VERY highly recommended and appeared to be experienced based on the cars in the shop and parking lot that day.

both shops adviser I had done ā€œall the right thingsā€ and everything appeared in good working order. Both recommended tweaking the alignment One tried to toe in, which didnā€™t work. The other aggressively toed out to make drivable buy you could still feel the issue existed. Neither shop had any additional suggestions. Both confirmed everything was tight and nothing looked worn.

Mkz567

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler jl rubicon
Occupation
Business owner
I've always had and still experience wandering steering even after many parts replacements. I do think it's time to replace myself. 2021 defender 110 base white with steel wheels, 2 inch lift and 33inch tires...with un stickers...

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
I have no thing to add, other than good luck, OP. Sounds like a real headache. Almost wonder if youd be better off going back to stock and trying to lemon it.

Sponsored

rvb

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
I hear you loud and clear. I have had mine for 18 months, after fighting with jeep and the dealer after 20 visits ranging from transmission issues, electronics and corrosion on all 4 doors I was about to give up. I researched many dealers and found one about an hour from home. Worked with a level 2 at jeep cares and he has worked with me and the dealer. Now sadly my car is at the dealer approaching 9 weeks and they have identified and fixed just about everything, I am hopeful the remaining parts will arrive and it will be finally fixed. Iā€™m not sure how I will feel once I get it back, but I may be a never Jeep person after. I would call jeep customer care. I am starting to think in my case the dealer was the issue. Good luck.
Not meant to be triggering. But need to just reach out as a last hope, although Iā€™m not expecting any miracles.

I think Iā€™ve reached my breaking point. After 9 months of issues, Iā€™m legit contemplating other vehicle options. Sadly, my JLUR was my dream vehicle and there are not a lot of replacements. But I donā€™t think I have the energy to keep fighting my issues.

After 6 months and about 12k miles, I started having death wobble issues. Since, Iā€™ve replaced every steering and suspension component. Ive reaches out to many forum members for help. Iā€™ve contacted several industry experts via social media. Iā€™ve had the vehicle inspected 4 times locally. Iā€™ve had multiple alignments. Iā€™ve had the tires balanced 3 times. Ive checked the torque specs on every nut and bolt. Iā€™ve had the TSB performed, which helped but has not resolved wobbles. After each repair or change, Iā€™ve experienced a reprieve only for the death wobble to return a few weeks later. Itā€™s now 9 months later and an additional 13k miles.

the wife and I just returned from a 2500 mile trip. During that time, we experienced death wobble 7 times. The rest of the time, we drove in fear of every bump and bridge over pass. This was the first time the wife experienced it and now understands why I havenā€™t been letting her drive it. This is not normal.

I think Iā€™m done. Iā€™ve exhausted all of my resources. Iā€™ve spent around $4,000. Iā€™ve spent numerous hours under the vehicle and researching. I donā€™t have any new ideas and canā€™t keep doing this.

In addition, I have an oil leak somewhere that is burning on the drivers side exhaust manifold. Service department has looked at and denied to resolve. I may have them look at again. The smell is nauseating when the windows down and reminds me of my ā€˜90 YJ that leaked a quart of oil every 3k miles.

Also, on our trip, the Uconnect started rebooting randomly. First time itā€™s ever done that in 23k miles. No reason I can find but Iā€™ve heard of others having similar issues

In the future, what do I get to look forward to? Apparently my lockers can quit working at any point. Itā€™s likely Iā€™ll have corrosion issues around my hinges and aluminum doors. What else?

Iā€™m tired. Might start looking at stupid Toyota 4runners. Theyā€™re outdated and boring, but at least I can drive 70 on the interstate and not be in fear. Thatā€™s worth something.

2425326E-4BBD-4240-84C6-7E979294A36B.jpeg

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Yeah, so Iā€™ve taken to 2 shops. Because of where I live (Iowa) not a ton of great 4 wheel drive shops. But I did get recommendations from the Iowa Jeep club and the Nebraska Jeep club. Took it to a highly recommended Jeep mechanic in Des Moines where I live. I got a second opinion 2.5 hours away in Omaha, Nebraska. The Nebraska shop was VERY highly recommended and appeared to be experienced based on the cars in the shop and parking lot that day.

both shops adviser I had done ā€œall the right thingsā€ and everything appeared in good working order. Both recommended tweaking the alignment One tried to toe in, which didnā€™t work. The other aggressively toed out to make drivable buy you could still feel the issue existed. Neither shop had any additional suggestions. Both confirmed everything was tight and nothing looked worn.
Can you snag a video of the death wobble from inside the cabin and from underneath?

I'd like to see this in action. I have a ton of miles and wouldn't mind flying up to you to take a look. I can head to Le Roy and visit family while I'm up there, as well.

I have an extra Rubicon Passenger knuckle I can bring with me.

I'd like to see the passenger knuckle while it's in a failure state. If you can grab a couple videos, that would be handy.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you snag a video of the death wobble from inside the cabin and from underneath?

I'd like to see this in action. I have a ton of miles and wouldn't mind flying up to you to take a look. I can head to Le Roy and visit family while I'm up there, as well.

I have an extra Rubicon Passenger knuckle I can bring with me.

I'd like to see the passenger knuckle while it's in a failure state. If you can grab a couple videos, that would be handy.
Thanks dude! Iā€™ll try to get video. Iā€™ve tried to take video inside but Iā€™ve never been successful at recording and controlling it. I have a friend with some GoPros and Iā€™ll see if I can get some external video.

the wife and I were discussing yesterday how unpredictable it was on our recent trip. We drive 650 miles with the cruise set at 75 and not one issue. The following day it happened 4-5 times in 400 miles and we couldnā€™t identify what specifically was triggering it. Twice, it happened at a speed of 35-40 mph.

I need to rotate tires and change oil next weekend. Iā€™ll grease everything and inspect some more. Iā€™ve inspected the knuckles multiple times and theyā€™re is nothing that appears damaged or out of spec. On our trip, I had the wife wiggle the steering wheel looking for ANY movement in joints and can not find any. Iā€™ll inspect the ball joints further and see if I can find anything weird.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
WOW. Sorry you had these problems. I had death wobble on a 1988 Cherokee, turns out the hole that the track bar was bolted to in the body was elongated. I am currently on my 5th Wrangler and no issues, thankfully.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
On the ball joints, there is a big difference in the loads they are subjected to at rest ( turning the wheel, " looking ok")
and going down the road at 25mph p!us.
Static loads and kinetic loads are vastly different, my money is on the ball joints. Coupled with the aluminum knuckles...a reason cast iron is making a comeback.

Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Not meant to be triggering. But need to just reach out as a last hope, although Iā€™m not expecting any miracles.

I think Iā€™ve reached my breaking point. After 9 months of issues, Iā€™m legit contemplating other vehicle options. Sadly, my JLUR was my dream vehicle and there are not a lot of replacements. But I donā€™t think I have the energy to keep fighting my issues.

After 6 months and about 12k miles, I started having death wobble issues. Since, Iā€™ve replaced every steering and suspension component. Ive reaches out to many forum members for help. Iā€™ve contacted several industry experts via social media. Iā€™ve had the vehicle inspected 4 times locally. Iā€™ve had multiple alignments. Iā€™ve had the tires balanced 3 times. Ive checked the torque specs on every nut and bolt. Iā€™ve had the TSB performed, which helped but has not resolved wobbles. After each repair or change, Iā€™ve experienced a reprieve only for the death wobble to return a few weeks later. Itā€™s now 9 months later and an additional 13k miles.

the wife and I just returned from a 2500 mile trip. During that time, we experienced death wobble 7 times. The rest of the time, we drove in fear of every bump and bridge over pass. This was the first time the wife experienced it and now understands why I havenā€™t been letting her drive it. This is not normal.

I think Iā€™m done. Iā€™ve exhausted all of my resources. Iā€™ve spent around $4,000. Iā€™ve spent numerous hours under the vehicle and researching. I donā€™t have any new ideas and canā€™t keep doing this.

In addition, I have an oil leak somewhere that is burning on the drivers side exhaust manifold. Service department has looked at and denied to resolve. I may have them look at again. The smell is nauseating when the windows down and reminds me of my ā€˜90 YJ that leaked a quart of oil every 3k miles.

Also, on our trip, the Uconnect started rebooting randomly. First time itā€™s ever done that in 23k miles. No reason I can find but Iā€™ve heard of others having similar issues

In the future, what do I get to look forward to? Apparently my lockers can quit working at any point. Itā€™s likely Iā€™ll have corrosion issues around my hinges and aluminum doors. What else?

Iā€™m tired. Might start looking at stupid Toyota 4runners. Theyā€™re outdated and boring, but at least I can drive 70 on the interstate and not be in fear. Thatā€™s worth something.

Have you contacted Jeep Cares ?

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you contacted Jeep Cares ?
yes, I have. they were helpful. However, the outcome was to "return vehicle to stock" and they would inspect with no guarantee of resolution or diagnosis. I explained a few posts back why reinstalling the stock drag link and tie rod is not ideal. At the time, those were the only "aftermarket" parts installed except for the lift and tires that came on the vehicle.

Could I return to stock? yes. I need to source some parts. I need a stock stabilizer and the axle side stabilizer mount for a Dana M210 axle. I need a pitman arm side end for a factory drag link. I would need to remount my tires on the factory wheels. I would need to remove all 8 aftermarket control arms and re-install the factory arms. All possible. Its about 250$ in parts and 200$ to remount tires. Would take me a long weekend of re-installing parts.

Then they would need to drive and re-create death wobble. Likely would have to pay them for alignment if they determine not warranty. Based on conversation with dealer, their first course of action to replace the steering stabilizer (which was already done previously). Likely leave and wait for it to occur again. Make return appointment. They would then need to recreate the issue again. Told me their "updated" track bar is the next replacement item. Likely sent home again. Wait for it to happen.... Rinse and repeat.

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator & YJ

Im a jeep guy, but must say the new Broncos have my attention.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there wobble in a unit bearing perhaps? It sounds like you've tried everything else.
I haven't been able to identify any movement or noise in the unit bearing. I'll do some research on further checking that.
Sponsored