Sponsored

Re-gear opinions 2020 JL Wrangler Pentastar 6spd manual

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
5.13 installed on my JLUR rolling 37s on my manual 3.6. Perfect gearing. Just need to adjust cpu. Only way to go. I also replaced front axle shafts eliminating s
Be honest though, do you REALLY use 1st gear? Or are you shifting to 2nd immediately, 10 mph?
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
"You can get the same applied torque to the wheels by simply using a lower gear. Yes, you lose a gear (6th), but that same ratio is found in 5th. No benefit to regearing other than a bit more torque applied in first gear"

Champion 4x4
If you do a lot of highway driving on small to mid sized tires, it may be practical to regear to a taller setup to increase your top speed and fuel economy. If you are planning on doing a lot of off-roading or are only upgrading to a larger set of tires, you should probably install shorter gears.

When larger tires are installed, you have several things working against you: the diameter of the tire, rotational mass, rolling resistance, and the added weight of the tires. The diameter of your tires directly affects how hard your drivetrain has to work in order to move the vehicle, what you need to keep in mind is the axle is going to be turning your wheels. The axle shafts are just over an inch in diameter, and they have to turn whatever tires are on your Wrangler. This means that with a 30 inch tire you need to apply 30 times more force to the axle in order to turn the wheel. By regearing to a shorter gear, you will increase the amount of force that is being sent to the axle, this allows your Jeep to move the tires with less of a strain on the engine.

I'm re-gearing to get my jeep back close to it's original performance, reduce strain on the engine, trans, and axles, and get some mileage back. It drives like a slug. I'm doing mostly hwy miles and some city, low off-road. I need my overdrive restored and less work on the engine to improve mileage even if slightly. This is my last Jeep until I die, and don't want to drive it in its present state. I had planned on re-gearing when I did lift and tires so just need to get it done and enjoy driving it again.
Before regearing, experiment. Shift at 3250 and hold 4th or 5th on highway. I bet you will be just fine

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I never understand folks that pay $50k for a Jeep, but won’t pony up $2k to regear their Jeep so the transmission works in the it’s normal operating range. On the highway at cruise speed, your Jeep should be in 8th (auto) or 6th (manual).

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I never understand folks that pay $50k for a Jeep, but won’t pony up $2k to regear their Jeep so the transmission works in the it’s normal operating range. On the highway at cruise speed, your Jeep should be in 8th (auto) or 6th (manual).
I never understood folks who want to throw out first gear and shift non-stop in the city. To each their own.

Rockywoolf

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon
Be honest though, do you REALLY use 1st gear? Or are you shifting to 2nd immediately, 10 mph?
I do use 1st gear, a lot. These gears also give me a 6th gear that actually works. I wheel my jeep and need that low first gear. If I didn’t wheel it I wouldn’t change the gears at all. My JL has 4000 mile as almost as many desert pinstripes.

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I do use 1st gear, a lot. These gears also give me a 6th gear that actually works. I wheel my jeep and need that low first gear. If I didn’t wheel it I wouldn’t change the gears at all. My JL has 4000 mile as almost as many desert pinstripes.
The wheeling is a valid argument depending on use case. The highway argument is silly. If you want to be at 3K or any rpm on the highway, you can do that with any gear set, just choose the right gear. Who cares what number is on it. Personally, I'd rather not drive like a semi truck and be in 4th gear by the time I clear an intersection, but I guess some people are in to that.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I never understood folks who want to throw out first gear and shift non-stop in the city. To each their own.
Lol. Maybe you need a Jeep with a SM465. Most folks that buy Jeeps with 6 or 8 speeds prefer to use all of the gears. Otherwise, what’s the point? Like wiping before you poop. Just doesn’t make sense.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Lol. Maybe you need a Jeep with a SM465. Most folks that buy Jeeps with 6 or 8 speeds prefer to use all of the gears. Otherwise, what’s the point? Like wiping before you poop. Just doesn’t make sense.
Short of running 35+ on the 3.45's or extreme you tire sizes on the 4.10's you can "use" all the gears on the stock gears. I don't consider being in 1st or 2nd for <2 seconds each much use. But I guess some people like to row through gears endlessly. Most modern vehicles target 2000-2500 rpm in top gear @ 80MPH. There's nothing unusual here.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Short of running 35+ on the 3.45's or extreme you tire sizes on the 4.10's you can "use" all the gears on the stock gears. I don't consider being in 1st or 2nd for <2 seconds each much use. But I guess some people like to row through gears endlessly. Most modern vehicles target 2000-2500 rpm in top gear @ 80MPH. There's nothing unusual here.
Well, as you said, “to each his own”. No damn way I would drive a hamstrung vehicle. I could not tolerate my auto Rubicon on 35’s with stock 4.10’s. Regeared to 4.88’s and drove great. About 2500rpm at 75mph. Still ok with 37’s, but wouldn’t do anything less than 4.88’s with 37’s.

Rockywoolf

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon
The wheeling is a valid argument depending on use case. The highway argument is silly. If you want to be at 3K or any rpm on the highway, you can do that with any gear set, just choose the right gear. Who cares what number is on it. Personally, I'd rather not drive like a semi truck and be in 4th gear by the time I clear an intersection, but I guess some people are in to that.
Whatever

Sponsored

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
I spend 4 to 8 hours a day offroad, 4.88s and 35s with a manual. I want a lower 1st and reverse. Its perfect on the road but still lacking offroad when not in 4 low.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I spend 4 to 8 hours a day offroad, 4.88s and 35s with a manual. I want a lower 1st and reverse. Its perfect on the road but still lacking offroad when not in 4 low.
I agree it's atrocious jeep set up non Rubicon models with 3.45 gears. Regearing is a necessity there.

But 4.10 gears are perfectly adequate for the average guy running 37s with a manual. I considered seriously regearing for a while, 4 hi and hill climbs wasn't pleasant. But I realized I could shift to 4 low and start in 4th and run up to 6th rather than pay 2k to stubbornly use 1st in 4 hi.

In the end, final drive is what matters, the ratio of rpm to ground speed. It doesn't matter if you regear the axles or choose a different transmission and transfer case combination, it's all about the math and final drive.

If you have $2000 burning a whole in your pocket, by all means regear your axles. But if you have a harder time supporting your wheeling addiction, take full advantage of the gear spread available to you, and spend that money on something more useful

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm asking seriously when you use first gear. Even on 37s, 4-Lo and 1st gear at redline is only like 5 mph. I can near idle right up pretty steep inclines in 4Lo and 2nd gear. If I geared lower, 1st would be even less useful.
Don't get me wrong, I bought a manual because I enjoy shifting, but all I see happening after a regear is losing 1st to gain 6th.

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
I'm asking seriously when you use first gear. Even on 37s, 4-Lo and 1st gear at redline is only like 5 mph. I can near idle right up pretty steep inclines in 4Lo and 2nd gear. If I geared lower, 1st would be even less useful.
Don't get me wrong, I bought a manual because I enjoy shifting, but all I see happening after a regear is losing 1st to gain 6th.
Its fine in 4 low, for example this is a road i take to work at times. You can run it in 2 hi , but if you stop it doesn't want to move without being harsh with clutch. And to back up is even worse. Or a engine with some useful low end torque would be nice also.
Don't get me wrong, i do love a jeep. It could just be so much more easily .

20150811_154905-1.jpg

20190805_084816.jpg

Last edited:

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I still think 4.56 and manual with 34s is perfect. Slow enough offroad and good daily driving.

debating 37s eventually and just going with a rubi tcase for slower offroad vs regearing again, weaker and weaker ring and pinion the further you go.

also, maybe i just got a deal but why is everyone saying 2k for gears?
All the JLs are newish and wouldn’t need a master rebuild kit yet or not worth doing.

i did dana spicer gears and paid cash for labour and it was $1550 Canadian.

which is $1180 usd
Sponsored