First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Hardrock 2dr '19 JL Rubi
Occupation
Old Jeeper not gonna say how long!
So you ran this 250 miles on new gears in 4 hi? Doink! there's part of the problem. New gears run in is 25-30 miles light load. Stop to cool completely. Do this 3-4 times. No sustained high speeds or towing for 500 miles. Change oil and drive like ya stole it! Kind of a brief synopsis from most good gear manufacturers.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Op didn't mention:
Which trim level he has
Lockers no lockers?
Limited slip?

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
So you ran this 250 miles on new gears in 4 hi? Doink! there's part of the problem. New gears run in is 25-30 miles light load. Stop to cool completely. Do this 3-4 times. No sustained high speeds or towing for 500 miles. Change oil and drive like ya stole it! Kind of a brief synopsis from most good gear manufacturers.
this ^^^ Sounds OP had zero plans to break in the gear set after spending $$$. Breaking in a gear set amd heating the work surfaces is pretty specific schedule. I bet he turned to
Steering lock to bind the drive train really good on dry pavement for extra measure...haha

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I just hope that 250 miles of 4HI was done off road.

OP
OP
Matthewraffai

Matthewraffai

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
You literally had to give the installer a YouTube video of how to do the install and text him questions or instructions and your surprised that you have problems? This is like handing a 5 year old a gun and getting mad at him for shooting you in the ass. I’m really not trying to be a jerk but you gotta take some responsibility for giving this guy the job. He should totally try to make it right but WOW
I didn’t have to, he said he could do it even if he hasn’t done a Jl before. I was just Overly paranoid And pushed it on him from my previous experience that Something wasn’t going to be toleranced right and wanted to make sure he know the few changes as everyone tries to do everything as it’s a jk Jeep diff when it’s not. Just like 4 wheel parts doing my mopar lift, I bought the lift, installed it myself. then noticed it was very stiff and found out that they gave me the 4 door kit when I have a 2 door. they then offered to install it for free and give me 400 off for the inconvenience, “13” trips later they basically gave it to me free literally. They have done tons of jk JeepsThat my friends Took their and they came out good until i was once again the first JL in their shop. They did finally get it right. Seriously even my alignment Was done 3 times all aligned jk and I have to tell them mine is an 18 Jl not jk. Literally everything that’s done to my Jeep even as simple as oil change they put jk on the receipt. Not one person that has touched my vehicle in over 2 yrs has done one thing right without me correcting them so yes I had to give him instructions Because no one keeps up with changes even if they did the last model perfect with zero issues. I’m 100% positive it would’ve been installed like a jk had I not told him they changed stuff. Had COVID not be going on I would’ve just drove up to Phoenix or better yet even California to have it done Right and had a vacation while I broke in gears. Unfortunately I learned the hard way I guess now I have to deal with it and possibly even pay for it again at a new shop in Phoenix. I’m here for help, Ideas, and what to ask the installer to find a solution. I don’t need your .2 unless it’s constructive.

OP
OP
Matthewraffai

Matthewraffai

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Yes you’re right, only on that inner edge, there is zero noise in diff . Sounds just like stock 4.10’s. Nothing at all, I drove it very soft for the first 3 drives 15-20 miles no more than 40mph then the first 200 miles after the 3 were 10-20 mile trips then cool all the way up to to 500 miles. Even checked diff temps and It never went past 159 in front and 169 in rear. Flushed only rear at 200 just fine dust, nothing big at all, then this at 500?

OP
OP
Matthewraffai

Matthewraffai

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Not all in 4 hi I kept switching back and forth for turns out of the road wasn’t straight. Stop and go traffic, never over 40mph for that first 200 ish only after I broke in the rear at 45 miles (3 trips) cycles then I started putting 4 hi into the break in

Sponsored

OP
OP
Matthewraffai

Matthewraffai

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
this ^^^ Sounds OP had zero plans to break in the gear set after spending $$$. Breaking in a gear set amd heating the work surfaces is pretty specific schedule. I bet he turned to
Steering lock to bind the drive train really good on dry pavement for extra measure...haha
My only concern was correct break in. I took it very conservative for the first 200, then stepped it up to over 40 after 200 miles but never went over 55 at anytime . In fact the first time I went to 55 mph was for the last 25 miles. It wasn’t even 55mph for the risk 25 miles. Just for 4-5 miles total as it was still just outside the city but not on highway of course

OP
OP
Matthewraffai

Matthewraffai

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
I’m still waiting on Monday To take it back to the installer but decided to borrow my friends micrometer/buy diff paint and measure both rear and front backlash and the patterns. Both diffs are just about .007, which are in specs. The front looked Perfectly centered on both sides. The back where that big chunk fell out and 3 little pieces fell out looked a lot different in pattern as it’s real long tooth pattern. I Also barrowed my friends endoscope that’s HD/clear and looked for a good hour and saw the entire pinion gear bearing which are fine, I saw 80% of the rest of diff andI can’t find a single thing ripped apart including spider gears at 2 angles as it has a side camera at tip as well. Nothing looks damaged? So Here’s the pics of the wear pattern!

F135DEF6-023D-428A-B865-36F2FC2B1644.jpeg

6D6F0071-3593-4BBD-AE19-024DB9D37503.jpeg

0F64617A-D9FA-41E1-ACEF-A7D4E4A373EF.jpeg

C6B2456F-78B5-4E40-8F56-FDE69C6B3C20.jpeg

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I dunno what to make of that pattern....it's ginormous (in length)

I almost feel like the carrier needs to be shifted left/right away from the pinion a bit and then pinion depth reset....but this is only one theory....and impossible to say via a distant keyboard if backlash could ever be right (ASSuming it's good now)