Re gear and found weird wear and these chunks in it

Matthewraffai

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Re geared and went to change out the oil today afterThe 500 miles and found the front good. Put 250 miles on it in 4 hi. Then went to the back and found weird wear on the inside ring gear. It’s sharp/rough to the touch, and I found 4 chunks inThe oil and even one with the letter KO* something on it? Is this regear junk now or salvageable, I can’t find anything with the diff cover of that has damage or chunks out of it? Tucson differential where I had it done said they can’t look at it until Monday next week but it’s still ok to drive it lol? Thoughts anyone? Here’s the pics. The first two are the front where you see the red tie rod & track bar. They looked good to me but maybe I’m wrong on those too?

AC6CEEC4-3657-468A-AC73-5CBF17557A70.jpeg

9549243F-CF8B-4A48-8FBA-879EF3662A02.jpeg

5FB42D3D-31C8-49BF-BBD1-E99F98285BE5.jpeg

7C1466D4-C5BB-4373-97CF-1A01C7C56947.jpeg

38F1432A-74E2-4529-962C-9C4BC89B6300.jpeg
Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
That ring gear is done. Needs replaced.

OP
OP
Matthewraffai

Matthewraffai

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
The front looks good though right?

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
It needs to be replaced, but I have put a year on a deteriorating front differential (full time AWD) until it had catastrophic failure. I think you are fine to drive it normally until your appointment.

In my case it would grind and pop until one day it felt like I hit a parking curb going 30 mph and blew into large chunks the size of Brazil nuts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Matthewraffai

Matthewraffai

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
So would you say improper install or just random ring failure if you had to guess?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
So would you say improper install or just random ring failure if you had to guess?
My (not) professional opinion is that they didn't check pinion depth, guessed at pinion depth, or didn't care about pinion depth.

OP
OP
Matthewraffai

Matthewraffai

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
I can’t see where it came from with just the diff cover off? I did a complete rebuild with overhaul kit from Northridge which included literally everything. I even gave the installer a YouTube video of spicer doing the regear for everything from backlash tohow it’s shimmed because Jeep changed it to FAD and they had changed a few things on how it’s regraded. Apparently giving complete instructions didn’t work!? I even asked installer have you done any JL Jeep regear , response no, well can you please watch the YouTube video before doing it because there’s only 2 shops in Tucson that can do this iwithout going to Phoenix. I should’ve just gone to Phoenix and drove back and kept stopping every 15-20 miles even if it took me 8 hours. Be warned Tucson differential sucks! I checked the play on the front diff right now and it seems to move a good 1/4 or so, something tells me that’s not right either and probably too much backlash. Rear only moved What seemed like 1/16 off an inch, but can’t really tell without the right tools

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
The KO part looks like part of a bearing. Maybe the old factory parts?
I agree it could be a bearing, wondering if its not the carrier side bearings?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Matthewraffai

Matthewraffai

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
A master was supposedly put on both. All I got back was both rings, pinions, and pionon bearing’s in both diffs. rear was the only one with metal and Apparent damage Do you think it’s too much to Ask the Installer literally go over every single tolerance one by one so if anything’s off it’s an obvious installer issue forcing him to redo everything at his cost? Example in my text to question him about. Or is that too much and I should just ask for backlash and wear pattern? When I handed him the master kits he said I don’t know why they sold you these, you barely have 17k on your vehicle and you really only needed new axle seals when doing a vehicle this new as you can reuse the rest? The thing is that this company has been around for twenty years so I thought they had to do something right or how could they start in business this long? The only other company said they wold need my vehicle for 10 days which is crazy so I no thanks it’s my daily driver. Just very frustrated. Trans and diff are the only thing I will not do myself because it’s complicated and specialty tools required so I’ve never done those. I do everything else 100% on my own even if it was offered for free I’d rather have the peace of mind knowing I did it right then winner and have to check people’s work. Anyways let me know if you think that’s too much to ask on both diffs or if I should just go over all that text list that’s on the apparent rear damage and just do the backlash and wear pattern on the front? Thanks everyone!

0480C7D4-7E74-4B83-A35F-9005C0B2D7EA.png

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
You literally had to give the installer a YouTube video of how to do the install and text him questions or instructions and your surprised that you have problems? This is like handing a 5 year old a gun and getting mad at him for shooting you in the ass. I’m really not trying to be a jerk but you gotta take some responsibility for giving this guy the job. He should totally try to make it right but WOW

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The bearings on the carrier and pinion aren’t individually sealed as far as I know, that extra piece is worrisome.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
I think you might be over reacting, i dont see anything on that rear that looks out of the ordinary. Those frags can be from something else. As the gears break in under load and mate some metallic debris is completely normal.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I think you might be over reacting, i dont see anything on that rear that looks out of the ordinary. Those frags can be from something else. As the gears break in under load and mate some metallic debris is completely normal.
Debris, grit/swarf is one thing.

Chunks large enough to have letters stamped in them is entirely another.
Sponsored