Sponsored

Re-enforced Tire Carrier VS Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier?

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I love mounting my own tires and just tossing balance beads in.
I think they all come with the 106 inserts now. You can still buy the 107’s but allegedly they aren’t needed, the 106’s will work. Call one of the resale companies and ask.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. Any recommendations on who to buy from? I know Quadratec says 8-9 weeks
Sponsored

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I love mounting my own tires and just tossing balance beads in.
I think they all come with the 106 inserts now. You can still buy the 107’s but allegedly they aren’t needed, the 106’s will work. Call one of the resale companies and ask.
Also, do you use TPMS?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Also, do you use TPMS?
I use TPMS. It is hit or miss with throwing error codes, but they alway read. Sometimes an axle reads backwards though.
As for vendors, I bought from Northridge 4x4. They answered all my insert questions and were also able to give me a stock update. Quadratec may be a bit more dicey, I think they drop ship.

Storey21

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4 door
I’m in the same dilemma, debating between upgrading to a beefier tailgate reinforcement or go the full Monty with a bumper mounted unit. I have the Mopar reinforcement with 35s, but one solid hit to the underside of my spare tire coming down a ledge mangled my tailgate. It’s dented inwards on the right, and has a slight bend outwards now on the left side. It sounds like a machine gun when I go over potholes. Any hit to your spare is going to transfer all that energy to your tailgate. I have had a bumper mounted carrier before, and hated having to deal with closing it up twice, but it took hits without damage.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in the same dilemma, debating between upgrading to a beefier tailgate reinforcement or go the full Monty with a bumper mounted unit. I have the Mopar reinforcement with 35s, but one solid hit to the underside of my spare tire coming down a ledge mangled my tailgate. It’s dented inwards on the right, and has a slight bend outwards now on the left side. It sounds like a machine gun when I go over potholes. Any hit to your spare is going to transfer all that energy to your tailgate. I have had a bumper mounted carrier before, and hated having to deal with closing it up twice, but it took hits without damage.
A cool trick I learned from YouTube is to fully deflate the spare so that it just flops when hit or dragged from a drop off. It adds a bit extra air up time before hitting the road, but is worth it not not transfer any impacts to the tailgate.

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I went with Teraflex Alpha tire carrier and instead of tailgate reinforcement, chose a hinge replacement in the Rugged Ridge Spartacus.

why choose these? Because they had simple solid metal design.

One of the things that is not readily apparent by looking at a given tire carrying option is how easy or hard it might be to get that spare onto the mounting hardware. You might find in that regard the swing out bumper-mounted tire carriers to give you some more options in how you get that heavy tire onto the lugs.

The wiring for the backup camera on the Teraflex is routed in a way that it can easy be shredded by someone who is not familiar with the wire routing. When I take my vehicle to have the tires serviced I always disconnect the camera myself and shove the wire connector into the aluminum tube of the camera mount so that it is well protected.

F42E16E7-C44B-43F5-A659-1CA567A86AC4.jpeg

E450D170-27F2-4ECC-972B-0F37FEF233B0.jpeg

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
I ordered my JLU with the re-enforced tire swingout, but I'm guessing this is useful up to a 35" tire? No plans to go bigger any time soon, but this post is informative regarding factory limitations regarding the construction and aspects of failure. Kudos on that deflated spare info too; good idea and nothing a little starting fluid can't fix
Sponsored