Sponsored

Re-enforced Tire Carrier VS Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier?

Cervo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD; 2002 TJ
As the title suggests, I am in the market for a tire carrier. Now the question is, which route should I go? I have a 2021 JLURD and plan to go 37's in the near future. With that being said, I have had multiple discussions with people who know more about Jeeps than I do and they keep suggesting a rear bumper with tire carrier.

The purpose of this is so the weight of the wheel does not put a lot of stress on the hinges of the back tail gate. Also, they have said that there might be some rattling with the extra weight. After looking at multiple products, there are only a hand full of rear bumpers with tire carriers that I like, however the price more than if I was to purchase the Re-enforced tailgate hinges with tire carrier.

To those of you who have the re-enforced tire carrier, what did you choose and why? Are there any pros and cons to the product you have? What about those who have a rear bumper with tire carrier? I know this is all preference but I am more for what is the best bank for my buck? What will last the longest without having any issues?

I plan to use this Jeep off-road doing intermediate trails

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I have a Rusty's tailgate reinforcement tire carrier and hinge kit. So far it's been an excellent upgrade for my uses. I don't do rock crawling or anything extreme so I can't give that kind of testimonial.

I noticed my tailgate is less noisey immediately after installation. I am still running stock Rubicon wheels and tires so I'm not really pressure testing it.

So, if you decide on a Rusty's tire carrier and hinge kit, just do what I did and install thin rubber between the carrier and the tailgate. Found some online that's only about 1/16" thick. This separates the dissimilar materials and I think it adds some sound deadening.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I opted for the Cavfab Elite hinged tailgate reinforcement and adjustable carrier for my JLUR. It's extremely strong and well made. It ships out in bare steel, so I had it powdercoated in a lightly textured black to match the front mopar steel bumper.

One of my favorite aspects is their use of oiled bronze bushings in the hinges. Their completely maintenance free and have a very slow wear rate in much harsher uses. On a tailgate, they'll outlast the Jeep itself. I used to also be the in house machinist in my family's heavy equipment repair shop, so I have a lot of hands on with structure and different materials. This unit is so strong, the tailgate itself is just there to keep the weather and thieves out of my cargo area. With the gate open and a 38x13.5 spare mounted, I was able to hang my 180lbs on it and still didn't get any noticeable give at the hinges. I now have 40's and it's still yawning at it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Re-enforced Tire Carrier VS Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier? 20201206_161213
Jeep Wrangler JL Re-enforced Tire Carrier VS Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier? 20201218_153654
Jeep Wrangler JL Re-enforced Tire Carrier VS Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier? 20210117_135607_resized

OP
OP
Cervo

Cervo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD; 2002 TJ
I have a Rusty's tailgate reinforcement tire carrier and hinge kit. So far it's been an excellent upgrade for my uses. I don't do rock crawling or anything extreme so I can't give that kind of testimonial.

I noticed my tailgate is less noisey immediately after installation. I am still running stock Rubicon wheels and tires so I'm not really pressure testing it.

So, if you decide on a Rusty's tire carrier and hinge kit, just do what I did and install thin rubber between the carrier and the tailgate. Found some online that's only about 1/16" thick. This separates the dissimilar materials and I think it adds some sound deadening.
Thanks for the information. That looks really nice. It seems that it would be sturdy enough for what I'm looking for. I am really curious to see how it would hold up during some good trails. I know some people have complained about the tailgate rattling on the trail and just wanted some opinions. Thank you very much for responding.

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
I did the AEV on mine, had the AEV on my old JK also and never had a problem.
Jeep Wrangler JL Re-enforced Tire Carrier VS Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier? EKOM6617.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cervo

Cervo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD; 2002 TJ
I opted for the Cavfab Elite hinged tailgate reinforcement and adjustable carrier for my JLUR. It's extremely strong and well made. It ships out in bare steel, so I had it powdercoated in a lightly textured black to match the front mopar steel bumper.

One of my favorite aspects is their use of oiled bronze bushings in the hinges. Their completely maintenance free and have a very slow wear rate in much harsher uses. On a tailgate, they'll outlast the Jeep itself. I used to also be the in house machinist in my family's heavy equipment repair shop, so I have a lot of hands on with structure and different materials. This unit is so strong, the tailgate itself is just there to keep the weather and thieves out of my cargo area. With the gate open and a 38x13.5 spare mounted, I was able to hang my 180lbs on it and still didn't get any noticeable give at the hinges. I now have 40's and it's still yawning at it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Re-enforced Tire Carrier VS Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier? EKOM6617.JPG
That looks amazing! Definitely going to look more into this product. I like the way it looks and it seems that it will hold a bigger size tire if I can ever convince the wife to get bigger tires. The people I talked to had JK's and I'm not sure how the hinges on those models were. Hopefully Jeep improved their tailgates for that because although the bumper with a tire carrier looks alright, I like the look of the hinged tire carrier better.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Thanks for the information. That looks really nice. It seems that it would be sturdy enough for what I'm looking for. I am really curious to see how it would hold up during some good trails. I know some people have complained about the tailgate rattling on the trail and just wanted some opinions. Thank you very much for responding.
You're welcome! I do have a LOD bumper that could have had the tire carrier assembly mounted on it, but I decided to go with Rusty's for that upgrade. Check into LOD options too. Both Rusty's and LOD are made in USA. I'll always go with a made in USA product for my upgrades when possible.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That looks amazing! Definitely going to look more into this product. I like the way it looks and it seems that it will hold a bigger size tire if I can ever convince the wife to get bigger tires. The people I talked to had JK's and I'm not sure how the hinges on those models were. Hopefully Jeep improved their tailgates for that because although the bumper with a tire carrier looks alright, I like the look of the hinged tire carrier better.
The Cavfab is meant to hold up to a 42" tire on heavy beadlocks. I also got their Ultra High Clearance rear bumper and had it powder coated the same as the carrier. I also prefer not having a bumper mounted carrier. And not just for looks, but I would rather not add connecting points between the body and frame. The body is mounted to the frame with rubber isolators that allow a certain degree of movement between the two.

From what I've read in the past, the JK tailgates were flimsy and known for bending from larger tires. The JL has a stronger gate made from a magnesium inner structure thats clad in aluminum. The kicker is that what were large tires to a JK are considered small on a JL. The weak link has been shifted to the hinges. The hinge halves are stout, but the small diameter dowl pins that connect the halves aren't enough for bouncing around offroad with 37"+ tires.

Engine Guy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
The Cavfab is meant to hold up to a 42" tire on heavy beadlocks. I also got their Ultra High Clearance rear bumper and had it powder coated the same as the carrier. I also prefer not having a bumper mounted carrier. And not just for looks, but I would rather not add connecting points between the body and frame. The body is mounted to the frame with rubber isolators that allow a certain degree of movement between the two.

From what I've read in the past, the JK tailgates were flimsy and known for bending from larger tires. The JL has a stronger gate made from a magnesium inner structure thats clad in aluminum. The kicker is that what were large tires to a JK are considered small on a JL. The weak link has been shifted to the hinges. The hinge halves are stout, but the small diameter dowl pins that connect the halves aren't enough for bouncing around offroad with 37"+ tires.
Hi!

I noticed that there are two bolts on the passenger side of the carrier. Are those two bolts just the ones that go through to the tailgate? If I went with longer ones could I tie in mounts for additional items?

Thanks!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi!

I noticed that there are two bolts on the passenger side of the carrier. Are those two bolts just the ones that go through to the tailgate? If I went with longer ones could I tie in mounts for additional items?

Thanks!
Those 2 bolts are are just there as place holders to keep dirt out of the threaded holes. They are dedicated mounting points for whatnot, and serve no functional purpose to the tailgate or spare.

Sponsored

Engine Guy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
Those 2 bolts are are just there as place holders to keep dirt out of the threaded holes. They are dedicated mounting points for whatnot, and serve no functional purpose to the tailgate or spare.
Sweet! I have the Teraflex wheel mount but I think I may sell that and switch.

Thanks for the great info!

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Jeep Wrangler JL Re-enforced Tire Carrier VS Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier? 100F050E-99A9-45A2-8867-77DD5A0F68B1

Here is a mid-install pick of the Maximus-3 carrier. I love this thing, rock solid and moves the weight off the hinges while still swinging with the tailgate.
Jeep Wrangler JL Re-enforced Tire Carrier VS Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier? 2F7D71AE-41D6-4E3A-9120-9E455C028AD1

No rattles, not bumper mounted.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sweet! I have the Teraflex wheel mount but I think I may sell that and switch.

Thanks for the great info!
😆 I also originally had the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. It was great in its ability to properly adjust both height and depth. Once I switched from 35's to 38's I knew I'd inevitably need to address the sag I was getting with the factory hinges. I couldn't keep waiting for the teraflex reinforcement, so that's when I went with the Cavfab Elite setup.

Jeep Wrangler JL Re-enforced Tire Carrier VS Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier? 20200813_083647_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Re-enforced Tire Carrier VS Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier? 20210117_135607_resized

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21

Here is a mid-install pick of the Maximus-3 carrier. I love this thing, rock solid and moves the weight off the hinges while still swinging with the tailgate.

No rattles, not bumper mounted.
I like that setup, How do you like the Hutchinson's? ive been thinking about getting a set but I'm not sure which bead setup to get.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I like that setup, How do you like the Hutchinson's? ive been thinking about getting a set but I'm not sure which bead setup to get.
I love mounting my own tires and just tossing balance beads in.
I think they all come with the 106 inserts now. You can still buy the 107’s but allegedly they aren’t needed, the 106’s will work. Call one of the resale companies and ask.
Sponsored