Sponsored

Re-Balance - Worth doing on a 37? If so, how often?

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
  • Banned
Want to know if its worth the 120$ to rebalance 37"s. Is it worth doing or will they just get out of balance again? I have 17K miles on them. Feeling some shimmies. I think it could be amplifying some death wobble. I don't want to throw money away if its a waste of time.

thanks, Mike
Sponsored

flyingyogi

First Name
yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep sahara ecodiesel
Want to know if its worth the 120$ to rebalance 37"s. Is it worth doing or will they just get out of balance again? I have 17K miles on them. Feeling some shimmies. I think it could be amplifying some death wobble. I don't want to throw money away if its a waste of time.

thanks, Mike
I have been using the ceramic beads in my tires for years on my 4runner, Suburban and will use them on my JLU as well. Nice part is if you knock of a junk of rubber the tire still stays balanced. Might be worth looking into it.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
All tires will go out of balance as they wear. So is it worth the $120 (which I think is an absurdly high price)? Yes!

Excessive wobble/shimmy from out of balance tires will cause your front end components (tie rod ends, ball joints, etc) to prematurely wear. How much will you have to spend in order to replace those components sooner than normal?

I don't know where you bought your tires, but tire stores will usually offer free balance and rotation if you buy from them.

I have my 37's re-balanced and rotated every 3-4k miles. Or sooner if I start to feel a shimmy. Balancing and rotations are even more important for larger and more aggressive tread patterns.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
All tires will go out of balance as they wear. So is it worth the $120 (which I think is an absurdly high price)? Yes!

Excessive wobble/shimmy from out of balance tires will cause your front end components (tie rod ends, ball joints, etc) to prematurely wear. How much will you have to spend in order to replace those components sooner than normal?

I don't know where you bought your tires, but tire stores will usually offer free balance and rotation if you buy from them.

I have my 37's re-balanced and rotated every 3-4k miles. Or sooner if I start to feel a shimmy. Balancing and rotations are even more important for larger and more aggressive tread patterns.
I thought that price was crazy too. However, they are the only shop I can find that will balance a 37". I might check with the discount tire, but I've heard bad things.

The 37's came installed on the new JLUR from the dealer. They had lifted and installed and I purchased new. Unfortunately the rotate and balance is not included. I haven't had them balanced since I bought them. Plus, the dealer did an awful job balancing originally. Had I known then what I know now, I would have had them re-do and light up the dots with the valve stems.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I thought that price was crazy too. However, they are the only shop I can find that will balance a 37". I might check with the discount tire, but I've heard bad things.

The 37's came installed on the new JLUR from the dealer. They had lifted and installed and I purchased new. Unfortunately the rotate and balance is not included. I haven't had them balanced since I bought them. Plus, the dealer did an awful job balancing originally. Had I known then what I know now, I would have had them re-do and light up the dots with the valve stems.
I use Discount Tire exclusively and they balance my 37's with no issues. My Patagonia's run smooth and true.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I use Discount Tire exclusively and they balance my 37's with no issues. My Patagonia's run smooth and true.
Interesting. Do you get free rebalance since you bought them there? I made an appointment at a local tire shop i've used for years. I'll see what they say tomorrow.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. Do you get free rebalance since you bought them there? I made an appointment at a local tire shop i've used for years. I'll see what they say tomorrow.
Yes. Free balance and rotations for life of the tires. Plus @Discount Tire usually has the best prices around. If not, they will price match on tires and wheels.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
for those running the ceramic beads, to you also get the initial spin balance / weights done or just ignore and run the beads?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
for those running the ceramic beads, to you also get the initial spin balance / weights done or just ignore and run the beads?
Save your money on the ceramic beads. Buy some air soft BB if you want to go this route. Note that this type of balance will only correct radial imbalance, it won't help lateral imbalance. That being said, I use BBs in my mud terrain as loosing bits of lugs throws off a weight type balance.
Sponsored