Sponsored

RCV Front and Rear axle install

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
i have had the 2 piece shafts in mine for 8000 road miles and a few trail rides in there and i love them. had a little grease puke out at the very beginning, but after that they have been awesome!!
Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I need to touch base with Ricky at RCV...Interesting that their tech group recommended 2pc.

I'll sat again that it is hard for me to understand how there would be more harmonic with 1 rather than 2pcs. It is a precision turned part...the runout must be next to nothing. The only cause of harmonic in that shaft would be runout.
Id like to hear what they say on that myself. Ive been scratching my head. But folks running Adams and Tom Wood drive shafts apparently report vibration issues also. It seems as though its a crap shoot some do and some don't. Having these RCVs in a JKUR did not cause vibrations or issues of any kind. Why now with this D 44?

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Id like to hear what they say on that myself. Ive been scratching my head. But folks running Adams and Tom Wood drive shafts apparently report vibration issues also. It seems as though its a crap shoot some do and some don't. Having these RCVs in a JKUR did not cause vibrations or issues of any kind. Why now with this D 44?

I have JE Reel drive shafts...it is an interesting issue though. I'll post about my conversation with Ricky when I have it.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i have had the 2 piece shafts in mine for 8000 road miles and a few trail rides in there and i love them. had a little grease puke out at the very beginning, but after that they have been awesome!!
Did you have any trouble seating the inner section of passenger side, or any issues on install for that matter?

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have any trouble seating the inner section of passenger side, or any issues on install for that matter?
I know you weren’t asking me, but the two piece install was pretty easy and straight forward. Hardest part of the install was seating the RCV axle tube seals and seating the CV boots, and that wasn’t too bad.

Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know you weren’t asking me, but the two piece install was pretty easy and straight forward. Hardest part of the install was seating the RCV axle tube seals and seating the CV boots, and that wasn’t too bad.
I've stabbed them into a JKUR with no issues and the videos seem like a no brainer but you know how it is. I thought I would ask folks here.

Thanks

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I used a heat gun and zip tie trick. There is no way I was strong to slam the boots on there. That was the hardest part for me.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used a heat gun and zip tie trick. There is no way I was strong to slam the boots on there. That was the hardest part for me.
WD 40 is supposed to help as well.

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
no issues i can report, but i didnt do the install. i had my boy slide them in when he did the gears.

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep
I’m in the middle of this right now and keep going back and forth. Right now I’m leaning towards the 1 piece shaft. I want to eliminate any potential issues that may arise with the FAD.

I have called more shops from CO to CA last week and this week than you can imagine and almost all of them said go 1 piece. Only one said go 2 piece the others all said 1 piece with one saying go 1 piece but it’s my call.

If I’m thinking right, the vibrations guys are picking up has to be from caster.

I’ll keep you posted once mine are installed.

Sponsored

Deleted member 33002

Update - Front adams Shaft re-balanced & I dialed down my caster to 4.9 left & 4.7 right. Still having vibrations. Im pretty sure its my pinion angle and i don't want to dial down more caster(before was 5.9 & 5.6 caster) Going back to 2pc fad.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Update - Front adams Shaft re-balanced & I dialed down my caster to 4.9 left & 4.7 right. Still having vibrations. Im pretty sure its my pinion angle and i don't want to dial down more caster(before was 5.9 & 5.6 caster) Going back to 2pc fad.
This is weird. Wonder what the root cause is, as the JK’s rah a lot of castor as well.

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Seems odd that a one piece shaft would cause vibrations..is it rcv specific or something? I have a 1 piece shaft with a U-Joint and no weird vibrations.

Gotta be caster/ driveshaft/ angle related and nothing to do with the 1 piece design.

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I just drove my 1 pc RCV equipped JL round trip from Cincy to Trail Hero.

No vibrations to complain about.
Sponsored