First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
RCV front axles are stronger. They don’t bind. But will they allow greater turning input compared to OEM U-joint axles when 4WD is engaged with the front axle locked? What about unlocked?
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
You will have full lock to lock capabilities in 4wd and 2wd. The turning input wont change vs stock. Your stops control that. The advantage is that they retain all the strength when turned unlike a ujoint

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
You will have full lock to lock capabilities in 4wd and 2wd. The turning input wont change vs stock. Your stops control that. The advantage is that they retain all the strength when turned unlike a ujoint
They’re able to turn to full steering lock either way in 4WD even with front axle locked?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
They’re able to turn to full steering lock either way in 4WD even with front axle locked?
Yes, there wont be any binding as far as the joint is conerned, but you wont be able to turn as sharp locked, nature of the beast because one side cant slow down or speed up now

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yes, there wont be any binding as far as the joint is conerned, but you wont be able to turn as sharp locked, nature of the beast because one side cant slow down or speed up now
That's fairly poor explanation.
The correct explanation is that you will still experience all the mechanical limitations of 4wd and locked axles, except that - with all CV joints, you'll be relieved of what is known as "crow hop" due to U-joints’ angular velocity fluctuation.

To answer OP @Chocolate Thunder
Your turning experience at full lock (2H open diff) should be smoother.
Do not attempt to turn at 4H/L or front lockers engaged on dry pavement, even with CV joints.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
The correct explanation is that you will still experience all the mechanical limitations of 4wd and locked axles, except that - with all CV joints, you'll be relieved of what is known as "crow hop" due to U-joints’ angular velocity fluctuation.

Do not attempt to turn at 4H/L or front lockers engaged on dry pavement, even with CV joints.
Good for you. Idgaf

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

I’m not talking about 2WD at all. And seeing as I don't ever plan to drive in 4WD Hi or Lo, locked or open diff, on dry pavement that’s off the table. My question is specifically toward being able to turn sharper while wheeling on trails with the front differential locked. Such as negotiating tight switchbacks and tight quarters. Particularly on steep or narrow areas where space to maneuver is limited.

Thanks for your answer.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I’m not talking about 2WD at all. And seeing as I don't ever plan to drive in 4WD Hi or Lo, locked or open diff, on dry pavement that’s off the table. My question is specifically toward being able to turn sharper while wheeling on trails with the front differential locked. Such as negotiating tight switchbacks and tight quarters. Particularly on steep or narrow areas where space to maneuver is limited.

Thanks for your answer.
Answer is no, CV axles does not give you tighter turning radius.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

In a nut shell, it does not improve your turning radius on or off road. It will simple help with the hop or binding you sometime get at full turn with regular CV joints.

I have them on my TJ with Dana 60's and it is noticeably better at full lock than the JLUR. I am just not sure that I want to invest in RCV's for the front, stronger shafts for the back, possible truss, and re-gearing for the stock 44's. By the time you add all of that up and figure in the 4k you can get for selling the stock JLUR axles, you are not spending much more for a new set of Dana 60's with everything already ready to go.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for everyone’s thoughts. Because of the U joints binding I don’t turn to extreme angles while in 4WD, locked or unlocked. I can’t say how far from full lock I stop, but I’ve made 3 point turns while wheeling that I could have easily made U turn in 2WD on pavement.

I think at this time I’m going to invest in improvements to the 44s vs going with heavier axles. Maybe later I’ll change my mind and someone will get a great deal on some beefed up D44 axles.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks for your answer.
I’ve had them in for a couple years now , they’re definitely the shit. You won’t be able to turn sharper, but your turn will be smoother. The terrain will have more to do with how sharp you can turn. Obviously not that sharp on slick rock, or hard surfaces but in mud or snow you can turn farther, do to the opposite wheel being able to skid/slide and turn.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military

Jeep Wrangler JL RCV axle question IMG_0697.GIF

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for everyone’s thoughts. Because of the U joints binding I don’t turn to extreme angles while in 4WD, locked or unlocked. I can’t say how far from full lock I stop, but I’ve made 3 point turns while wheeling that I could have easily made U turn in 2WD on pavement.

I think at this time I’m going to invest in improvements to the 44s vs going with heavier axles. Maybe later I’ll change my mind and someone will get a great deal on some beefed up D44 axles.
I'm with you on that one. Someone down the road will eventually get a great deal on my upgraded 44's. RCV shafts, Reid knuckles, Dynatrac ball joints, Rock Jock axle housing bushings, and PowerStop Z36 disc's and pads. All installed, maintained, and driven by a lifelong mechanic that doesn't beat on anything mechanical.
Jeep Wrangler JL RCV axle question tenor (23)
Sponsored